Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand Trip - Independent travel or tour group?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are beginning to plan a trip to Thailand, and we would like to know if traveling independently or with a tour group is better. We have traveled in China alone without any problems, and in fact, enjoy the freedom and flexibility, as well as the lower costs. However, we don't know if the same would apply to Thailand. We don't speak any Thai (I speak a little Mandarin) and are not very familiar with the sights. We would like to soak up as much Thai culture as we can in a week or two - temples, markets, restaurants, etc. We really like to wander through local neighborhoods in the areas we visit. We are not beach types. So = should we try to do it on our own or should we buy a packaged tour?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Buy a good guidebook like Footprint, Lonely Planet or Rough Guide and do lots of research here & with the book. Travelled four times to Thailand and all independently. It is a piece of cake after China, imho. Most Thais understand English. Do it yourself but go well prepared, relax & have fun!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Thailand is very easy travel. I agree with Lyndie's advice. Get yourself a good guidebook (I like the Insight guides) and plan what you want to see. Browse through the posts here about Thailand and you'll get lots of ideas as well. Thailand is much easier than China!!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Thailand was our first trip overseas and with the help of everyone here we did it all on our own It seemed like every time we were leaving some place, a big group of tour people were showing up, and we were so happy to be able to see things by ourselves.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:33 AM

Definitely travel independently. In a group, you'll be totally insulated from "real" interactions with Thai people. While these may be few on your own, they are at least possible. We always buy several guide books (Fodors among them) and look for interesting tid bits in each. The major sights (sites?) will be covered in all, but each book has its own secondary suggestions. Oftimes, these turn out to be the most fun. BTW, it is vewry common to break up a 2 week Thailand trip into three segments BKK, Northern Thailand and beach, generally in that order. Many pick the beach segment by time of year according to the weather patterns. Go on your own, you'll have a great time.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Definitely travel independently. There is absolutely no reason to take a group tour. It's very easy to travel in Thailand. If you want you can hire a driver for part of your stay if you want. English is not a problem in major tourist areas.

Based on your interests, you should spend time in Bangkok and northern Thailand. Very easy to do and I guarantee you'll have a fabulous time.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM

If you have travelled in China independently without any problems, then you can do it too in Thailand. I agree with the other posters. Its much easier.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I appeciate your help and encouragement.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM

thailand will be a breeze independantly if you have done some of china alone....in bkk english is not problem nor is it in most of the tourist areas around the country...in small towns and issolated areas it is more difficult, but you would be amazed at how easy it is with some hand signs...

do it alone and you will be so glad you did....

we are here and waiting to help you and give advice....we await your questions...