First Class on Singapore/Cathay or JAL?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking into flights on these 3 airlines for first class seats. I am wondering if someone might know which airline has the best seats and the best service. Or if you just prefer one over the other. thanx
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Singapore Airlines is absolutely your best option for first - seats, service, first class lounges. Do a search for my post on this forum using the keyword "Amanpulo". I give a lot of detail about Singapore upper class service.

Also, check out the www.flyertalk.com forum - go to the forums on airline programs, then Singapore Airlines. They post discussions raving about Singapore First Class travel including photos, discussion of meals, lounges, best seats, etc. Tons of good info!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:10 AM

P.S. What routing are you looking at? This will indicate what equipment (plane) you will be on. There are differences in the types of seats and lounges based on your destination. The FlyerTalk guys can help you with that, too.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:37 AM

I've flown all 3 airlines in first and Singapore is the best.

JAL - the new sky sleeper solo seats are nice but the IFE screen is so small and at an awkward position hence you will have neck ache after a few hours. Programming is not that great either with limited movies and other programme offered. Food, JAL is pretty good. Service - very robotic. Also beware that if you're connecting to other Asian country via Japan the planes use on the Asian routes are older models with old type seats.

Cathay - Nice sleeper seats and Shanghai Tang sleeper suites are the best. IFE has a good selection with AVOD. Food can be excellent or normal, meaning not much consistency. Service - the FA are not as efficient as Singapore's and since Cathay use FA from a variety of Asian countries the service standard varies.

Singapore - The best first class seats, apart from the new Emirates seats. Leather seats with very good IFE with lots of AVOD programming. Food can be preorder - "book the cook" but I prefer the choices offered on board. Service, for some strange reason I really think the service in Business class is better!

Lounge - Singapore lounge in Singapore is ok but not great and quite crowded. The best lounge out of the 3 airlines is Cathay in Hong Kong. Japan has numerous 1st class lounges in Tokyo and non of them are good. Lounges for the 3 airlines in the US are all crap.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Hanuman, I was recently (Nov.) in the Singapore Airline First Class lounge in Changi and it was wonderful. It's huge and wasn't at all crowded. And they had free-flowing Krug champagne. I believe the business class lounge is more crowded and not as nice...
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Ericka thank you so much for your info that was of great help. I am going to check out flyer talk as you recommended as well. I live in Las Vegas so trying to figure out the best route. My intention of my trip is to Visit a friend in Boracay who lives there. So i am trying to do a stop over in Hong Kong or Tokyo for 2 days before I go to Manila to meet up with my friend and then on toe Boracay. Any suggestions on that front?? Thanks, vegas
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:44 PM

I definately think that Singapore is the best out of the three. I also think Malaysia Airlines is of equal quality and worth a try.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Vegas,

Singapore Airlines will likely route you out of LA. From there, they will get you all the way to Manila. It may be more cost effective to accept a night or two in Singapore over Hong Kong or Tokyo, and if that is the case and you haven't been to Singapore before, you should know that it is a LOVELY city with fabulous hotels and restaurants. But, if you could work out a stay in Hong Kong, that would be wonderful. I haven't been myself - but it is on my wish list for the future!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Having to go through Singapore means adding a lot of flight time, whether you're from the East Coast or the West, even if you're using SQ's ultra-longhaul nonstops.

EWR (Newark) - SIN - MNL = 11,000mi
EWR - HKG - MNL = 8,776mi
EWR - NRT - MNL = 8,625mi

LAX - SIN - MNL = 10,244mi
LAX - HKG - MNL = 7,970mi
LAX - NRT - MNL = 7,344mi

By going through SIN, you're adding >2,000 mi, or >4 hours, each way. But of course, if you want your FF miles worth in First Class, then you may want the longest route possible.