Thailand to Australia?

Aug 1st, 2003, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thailand to Australia?

thailand to australia

Author: Frances
Date: 08/01/2003, 06:02 pm
Message: I'm posting this message on three different forums. Last night my daughter booked a ticket from the UK to Thailand on Finnair, departing August 26th.
She now wants to go on to Australia and is wondering the cheapest way to do it.Is a return from Thailand to Australia likely to be cheap?Or would a better idea be to ask Finnair to change her ticket - if they would.Does Australia have budget airlines which fly to Bangkok?
With thanks to all those who take the time to read and respond to this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thailand to australia

Author: Frances
Date: 08/01/2003, 06:02 pm
Message: I'm posting this message on three different forums. Last night my daughter booked a ticket from the UK to Thailand on Finnair, departing August 26th.
She now wants to go on to Australia and is wondering the cheapest way to do it.Is a return from Thailand to Australia likely to be cheap?Or would a better idea be to ask Finnair to change her ticket - if they would.Does Australia have budget airlines which fly to Bangkok?
With thanks to all those who take the time to read and respond to this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 1st, 2003, 11:53 PM

The normal economy restricted fare from Bangkok to Sydney is about 25,000 baht or £357 on Thai. I've seen special promotion advertised in the local newspaper with fares starting at 15,000 baht or £215.

If your daughter does not mind changing plane in Singapore(Bangkok - Singapore - Sydney) then the fare offered by Singapore airline is only 16,000 baht or £230 - only slightly higher then Thai but much more comfortable.

Try loggin on to the airline's website and choose Thailand as your country's site.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:57 AM

I agree, thry Singapore airlines.com and click on Thailand as origin, even the airline psots fares of around B 16-19,000 return. Singapore Airlines allows you to fly into 1 location and back from another, and brilliant service too.
Malaysia Airlines are sometimes a little cheaper.
Cathay Pacific promote cheap fares but it's probably a good 3-4 hours longer routing over Hong Kong.

Within Australia both Qantas and Virgin Blue offer cheap domestic fares bookable online. Your daughter just needs to check both when she wants to book any domestic sectors, like most budget carries Virgin Blue sells off cheapest first, but I have found that sometimes Qantas 'red Deal' specials beat the Virgin Blue domestic fares.

Qantas is a partner of Finnair so perhaps her first point of call should be to contact the airline or travel agent, whoever she bought the ticket from, see what they can arrange, it would not doubt be cheaper that way.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

It doesn't look as if the agent/airline is going to play ball and so we are now looking at my daughter flying on from Thailand and then back to pick up her booked return flight to the U.K.
Thank you for your information.She wants to get out to Australia as fast as possible. I should explain that the reason for this is that Kelly, her friend from primary school emigrated to Australia when she was 5 and was due to be visiting us with her boyfriend Andrew next week.Then the day they left my daughter and her boyfriend were going to Thailand on a late deal.
Yesterday Andrew was killed in work in Australia- the last day he was working before coming to the U.K.
My daughter now wants to go to Australia to see Kelly.
To the point.- she is not sure at the moment whether her boyfriend should go with her- the last time they went to Australia, they spent two weeks with Andrew and Kelly and she feels it might be a bit insensitive to take him.
If she travels on through Bangkok as fast as possible on Singapore Airlines she will have travelled through two nights with lengthy delays in Helsinki and Bangkok.How safe will she be if she travels alone? She is 20 years of age but I'm not keen on her doing this. I feel that to lose two nights sleep will make her disorientated to the extent that she is not as aware of danger as she should be.
I notice also that some B.A./Quantas code share flights do Bangkok-Australia but I can't seem to find out if they go into Melbourne and I can't get the price. Are they likely to be more expensive than SQ
Many thanks to you
Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:37 PM

So sorry to hear such a sad story.
Ok I am sure I and others can give some decent tips. I will check Singapore Airlines and see what they are offering. Instead of dealing with some agent in bangkok and having to go into town etc to collect the ticket etc etc if it is reasonable price to but on their website I will let you know.

Ok the Finnair flight. The flight is non-stop from Helsink and lands Bangkok at 1340 hrs. That would be 0740 am 'your time'. If your daughter can sleep fine. Otherwise she can stop a day in Bangkok to rest. In my view no point resting for 6 - 8 hours, either 'haul-on-thu' or nightstop.

Now taking it that Singapore Airlines are efficient, you can buy cheap online etc:-SQ 65 leaves Bangkok at 1600 hrs arriving Singapore 19 25 hrs ( 2.25 flight ). Their Melbourne flight leaves at 2050 laning in Melbourne 0550. ( By this time it would be 2050 your UK time.
She would have left Longon at 1805 and would be in Melbourne (body time) 2050 following evening.

Otherwise just rest and relax overnight in Bangkok and then move on the next day.

After she has spent the required time with her friend she can just fly back up to Bangkok.

Whether she has he Boyfriend along is really down to her/his feelings about it. Yes it might be a 'little sensitive' but then again IMHOmy own pure personal feeling would be that he can give support to your daughter. Her friend has suffered an acute loss, however there is no point having your daughter sffering too.
The benefits of him traveling together with her far outweigh and problem of 'sensitivity'. If she does the journey alone she will not enjoy it, she will end up stressed on all accounts. She 'needs' his moral/mental/loving support apart from the simple fact that 2 people traveling together is so much better easier for a multitude of reasons. Your daugher cannot afford to spend the whole journey feeling low and alone, she needs that someone 'with her'.

I'll check the Singapore Airline site and post back later.

James
Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:59 PM

Ok here goes Francisbr />
Http://www.singaporeairlines.com

On the top line click where it says 'Country Sites' and click on Thailand.

Seats are available exx Bangkok on both 27th and 28th Aug.

On the form click Bangkok 'to' Melbourne for which date you decide.

The return fare per person is basic fare B 16,500 return, then all the taxes, security, Australian departure tax comes out as B 19,115. On their conversion ( which is what she would be charged ) it is UK pounds 281 return each.

You can click though and see all this without having to book.

If you decide to book put in Credit Card details ( the Credit Crd used MUST be of one of the persons travelling, so you can't use 'yours' Francis ).

They do 'E-Ticket' whuch usually means you give your email address and once they have billed the Credit Card they e-mail you the confirmation. This is all that is needed to pick up the ticket. Worth calling Singapore Airlines in UK just to check on their system it has all gone ok. I don't know if you not being in Thailand is any issue, shouldn't be.

By the way using Qantas is no quicker at all and goes via Sydney which is a pain.

I've used Singapore Airlines on the Australia route from Thailand always, I have evn changed my return flight not just for the day but I even asked them if could fly back from Brisbane instead of Sydney and then 'sure, no worries!'.

Anyway if that suits it gives you a quick fast fix.

I think UK pounds 280 is good. You might get a Bangkok agent who might offer Malaysia routing or something else for 10 or 20 pounds less (maybe, but not necessarily ) and it's not worth the hassle or bother.

I am sure like most you have heard how good Singapore Airlines are!

PS? Smilie faces..no idea where than came from on previous post, something strange in the works!

if they nightstop in Bangkok and don't want to go out then the Rama Gardens is a good 3-star hotel close to the airport, they charge about B 1,800 a night ( just under 30 of your pounds )a room.

Good Luck!

James
Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help. I'm quite touched at the enormous lengths you've gone to to help someone you don't know.
My daughter and boyfriend travelled by SQ last time they went out to Australia 2 years ago and so they are familiar with the airline.
Thank you also for the nudge with the credit card having to be in the name of one of the people travelling as at the moment each has booked on their Dad's Gold Card for the family insurance cover.
The fare on SQ seems very reasonable to me. Will keep you posted in the hope it may help others (although not in similar circumstances I hope.)
Thank you again.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:36 AM

If the credit Card is any problem I would just give SQ a call, the reason that they say the credit card must be of a traveller I guess is for security. But you might find that won't be an issue if you offered to pick up the tickets from them.

Anyway good luck. I think that fare is good and you can get it sealed-up and settled without wasting time/effort chasing around.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:15 AM

Since you have time, I would suggest picking up paper tickets from Singapore Airlines in England. This way you avoid the entire credit card problem.
Aug 10th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Check for fares out of Thailand to any where in the world with DTC travel.
(I think the site is dtctravel.com.th )It's a travel agency in Bangkok run by a European man and his rates are very good and he can be trusted.If you don't see prices on his website for what you need, then write him and he'll let you know the price.
We used DTC and recieved our tickets by mail within 2-3 days after purchasing.

Remember :
Flights departing Bangkok to anywhere worldwide are almost always cheaper than departing from any other country.
That's why packpackers usually begin trips originating in Bangkok.
Good luck
Aug 13th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Well things are looking up.
My daughter has managed to change her return flight on Finnair out of Bangkok by delaying it a week. This allows her to go on from Bangkok to Melbourne and then return to Bangkok to pick up her flight.
It also raises a couple more concerns for me and I would be so grateful for any help anyone can offer
1.After spending many hours looking at the options the only possible connection she could get out of Melbourne was on Thai.She has a 1 hour 40 connection time in Bangkok. From the website it seems that the Thai plane will land at a different terminal from the Finnair flight departure but I'm not sure how accurate the airport diagram is.
Is the connection time possible? Does she need to travel to a different terminal and if so is there an airport bus in the middle of the night?
I've been told that she can't check through from Melbourne because she is changing airlines in Bangkok. Is this correct? My daughter will be carrying hand baggage only at that stage to minimise delay.
2. If she misses the connection she will then be in Bangkok for 24 hours.Will she be safer sleeping in the airport or trying to book a hotel with an airport transfer service.? Which hotels are safe for a single female?
HELP.
Thanks from a worried Mum
Aug 13th, 2003, 06:55 PM

There should be no probelm checking baggage from Thai to Finnair, who told you it couldn't be done??
The terminals at Bangkok are simply 1 terminal where they call one half of it Terminal 1 and the other half terminal 2, they are in reality the same builing. If my some problem she misses the connection she just checks in to a nearby hotels such as Rama Gardens, Comfort Duites, Comfort Inn or Erawan. Don't worry too much.
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

It was a woman on the telephone in Thai Air who told me that you couldn't check in in melbourne if you were changing airlines in Bangkok-but I must admit that a number of things I was told by them have turned out to be incorrect. I am not surprised therefore that you think this is wrong too.
Thank you for the hotel recommendations.Is it safe for my daughter to take a cab alone in the middle of the night?
The guidebook she has (although old) suggests the airport is not a safe place?
Thanks again
Aug 16th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Bangkok Airport is perfectly safe. There is no problem at all taking a taxi and several hotels have a shuttle anyway. This of course is just on the off-chance that there is a flight delay so she cannot book the hotel. She just goes to the hotel desk, they will take care and show/usher her to the taxi counter which takes care of eveything.
I am certain they are totally wrong about connecting the baggage through!
I am pretty certain that Qantas handle for Thai at Melbourne, why not just give Qantas a call you might find someone pleasant!

Search this Thread