Thailand: some quick thoughts upon returning to Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I just returned from two outstanding weeks in Thailand. This forum contributed a great deal to a successful vacation, and for that I am deeply appreciative.

Some quick thoughts ...

* It's hard for me to imagine a more ideal destination or more gracious people.

* The Shangi-la in Bangkok, the Sheraton in Chiang Mai, the Dusit Laguna in Phuket, and the Novotel at the airport each proved exceptional in its own way.

* Ratt and Poon are great.

* The Grand Palace lends itself to superlatives. The major Wats in the Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Lampang area are treasures.

* The best coconut milk comes from coconuts that have been burned in a pit.

* The floating market is a tourist trap well worth experiencing.

* The Rose Garden is beautiful - a wonderful place for lunch.

* Sitting in a klong, eating fresh pomelo while hand-feeding bread to the fish is great fun.

* Pomelo is great - period.

* Riding a Tuk-Tuk and riding an elephant are ... well, different.

* Watching the Super Bowl at 6:00 am Monday morning at our Chiang Mai hotel was unique. Too bad the Bears lost,

* The beach at the Dusit Laguna is beautiful.

* Touring the nearby karst formations and caves by canoe is unforgetable.

* The Chiang Mai Night Bazaar is fun; the Suan Lum Night Bazaar is even more so.

* No trip to Bangkok should be considered complete without experiancing the Joe Louis Puppet Theater at the Suan Lum Night Bazaar. It is absolutely superb! Follow the Fodor's suggestion and have dinner right outside the theatre.

* Shopping in Thailand is fun but be forwarned: if you have grandkids you'll spend far more than you think you'll spend. I have 12 grandkids.

* Chicago is a lot colder than Phuket.

* Did I mention that I cannot imagine a more gracious people?

Sawasdee Khrap ...

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks for your post. This is one of the best summaries I've read. It takes me right back to Thailand and pulls at my heart strings.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM

j- Glad you had a great time. I will be retiring there in about 20 years!

Kurt
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM

I'm so glad you enjoyed Thailand so much. Have you started planning your next trip?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Glad to hear you liked the Joe Louis puppet Theater. We, also, think it is a not-to-be-missed experience. A shame more Fodorites don't see it. We agree that there is no better destination than Thailand. Penalty avoided.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Kathie,

What a perceptive question! Let's give it a thread of its own ...
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM

I wish I had known you were seeing Ratt and Poon -- would have sent my love. I miss not seeing them this year (couldn't go for the first time in a long time).

I also live in Chicago and love Thailand. My first trip was 1985 and I've been back 18 times since.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Hey jmf314159....
We are in Chicago too and returned from 5 weeks in Thailand on Tuesday.... Also watched the Superbowl Bears (whaaaa) on Monday morning while we were having breakfast.

We are Thailand affecianados and though this was our 3rd trip in 4 years had already decided we would skip it for 08. However, we just so LOVE it there and are now looking into a two - three month stay next year.

Let's face it, this was cruel and horrible to come home to ...ccccccold.
Welcome back
BTW where do you live? we are perhaps around your age and were in Bkk Phuket and Hua Hin. Last year we also did Vietnam and Chiang Mai
Sue
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sue,

My wife and I live in Niles.

I envy you your many trips and wish we had both the means and flexibility to do likewise. But I'm sitting on 152K United frequent-flyer miles ...
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

By the way ...

* I got some great custom-made shoes at Tony's on Sukhumvit near soi 10.

* We really enjoyed our meal at Jerusalem Falafel in Chiang Mai.

* And, to re-emphasize a point made above: We've enjoyed theatre in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, and Stratford (Canada), but rarely have we experienced anything so special as the Puppet Theatre in Bangkok.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:28 PM

I know this is probably a silly question but, is the Joe Louis Puppet Theatre appropriate for pre-teens? And, is it easy to get tickets in BKK?
Also, "dinner outside the theatre" means eat at the street stalls or a particular restaurant?
Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM

The Joe Louis Puppet Theater is appropriate for everyone. It is very good...the puppets are controlled by 2 or 3 or 4 puppeteers (forget now how many) who are dressed in black and make the same movements with their bodies that they are making the puppets do. There is some audience interaction at the end which is well done.

There is a restaurant right outside of the theater where you can eat...or there is the whole market restaurant section as well. Provided the whole place is still open when you are there...it's is said to be closed by April...but they said that last year, too.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM

As KJ said, the Joe Louis Puppet theater is great for everyone. The puppets and puppeteers come into the audience at a later stage and they give the youngsters special, but gentle attention. It's delightful.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

The Puppet Theatre is superbly appropriate for pre-teens, for those interested in Thai dance, for those interested in Thai musical instruments, for those interested in Thai mythology. I never saw a circus performance engage children (young and old) as thoroughly and skillfully as did these artists.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM

thanks for the quick review....i too would love an expanded version...

we have hardly had any report on ratt since last fall....how is she and what is she up to??
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM

jmf
Thanks so much for the terrific trip report! I'm in BKK right now, but will be flying back to Chicago on Friday morning. ugh PLEASE make sure the snow and cold temps are GONE by that time (lol) as I don't think I can stand the temp shock. haha

Gloria... so good to see your post. I've not seen you lurking around here for a while. Hope all is well with you... You have my email (I think) if you wish to "talk" (maybe we've both been through something similar?)

Carol