Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand Questions - Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently in Thailand on my trip and had a lat minute question. I left some of my trip itinerary open because I wanted to see if I was going to need more time in Bangkok. I don't and so I am glad I have the flexibility...I am next going to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. How many days should I need in each (I have about 5-6 aavailable altogether though dont need to use them there)? Also, recommendation for places to stay in Chiang Rai (in the $40-70 range). Any suggestions for what to do from Chiang Rai - ie. what villages to visit? Last question -- what is the best way to get to the Jim Thompson outlet on soi 93? does the skytrain go that far? (I have been having a terrible time getting taxis here)

Thanks for the help!
Thank you!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:32 AM

Hi Cindy.
Wish I were in BKK right now. I'm jealous!
I've been to Chiang Mai a number of times, and always spend two nights at the Sheraton. I have not been to Chiang Rai area, but would imagine that two nights there would be good as well. I have no hotel recommendations, but others will.

I think you can take the skytrain to On Nut and then get a taxi from there, to JT outlet. I haven't been there, but will definitely make the trip in Sept when I get back to BKK.

Have a great time!
Carol
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:08 AM

The Dusit Island Resort Hotel in Chiang Rai will be in your price range if you book it online through asiarooms.com or one of the others. We stayed there a few years ago and it was fine. The pool is very nice. We did a couple of tours which we arranged through the agency located at the hotel - I think you could save quite a bit by taking a rickshaw into town and making your tour arrangements there. One of our tours lasted all day - it took us to several hilltribe "villages", the opium museum, and quick border crossings into Myanmar and (by boat) Laos. The last stop was the town of Chiang Saen. On the other tour, we took a 1/2 day long-tail boat ride on the Mae Kok river to another tribal "village" where we had a very scenic elephant ride out to the rice fields. I believe there is also a palace of some sort that is worth visiting from Chiang Rai - perhaps someone else will know of it.

You probably only need 2-3 days each in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai plus travel time.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:05 PM

make sure to visit doi tung, the former princess grandmother's estate....north of chiang rai...worth a 1/2 at least...

did you not like bkk?? is that why you have extra time?? what did you do there??

in CM make sure to visit doi sutup wat outside town...

as i previously posted, take the skytrain to the on nut station (last station) and then take a taxi or walk to soi 93, turn left and go about 2 blocks and the outlet is on your left....watch for the brown JT sign like at all his shops...3rd floor is for general merchandise...

why are you having a terrible time getting taxis?? just flag one down...use your hand in a downward motion....or go to the nearest hotel for one is the easiest...it is difficult around the toursits attractions as often noted here, so just go over one street and there will be no problem....
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Trouble getting taxi from wats, various sights and markets because they didnt speak english or didnt want to take the trip because of traffic. The JT outlet was AWESOME.

In chiang mai now and its finally sunny and the city is beautiful. thanks for the advice everyone!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:07 AM

I'd suggest two to three days in each place depending on your interests.

Dusit Island Resort is a good choice for Chiang Rai.In Chiang Mai if you want a non descript commercial hotel try the Chiang Mai Plazaq. If you want a smaller boutique hotel experience try Tamarind Village or Baan Orapin.

Bob is right -- don't miss Doi Tung -- it is spectacular.