Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai

Dec 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai

In January we are flying from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai. We arrive at about 2:30 and would like to go directly to Chiang Rai. Is it possible to hire a driver to take us directly from the airport to Chiang Rai? I think it is about a 3hour trip. How much might this cost and any suggestions on how to arrange this would be appreciated. We plan on spending 2 nights in Chiang Rai and then taking the bus back to Chiang Mai.
Dec 5th, 2018, 03:05 PM

I would expect to pay THB2500-3000. It is easy enough to get a taxi to do that run at the airport but you will need to negotiate. Alternatively, ask you accomodation in Chiang Rai to quote a rate. Everyone has a friend or relative who moonlights as a driver.

Arriving at 2.30pm you would have time to get the bus and, although it takes a bit longer and requires a change of bus, you would still have time to get there before dark.

Alternatively, rent a hire car from the airport and drive yourself. Probable cost around $50 US per day and a car is really useful to explore around Chiang Rai.
Dec 5th, 2018, 09:10 PM

I realize that the way I generally tend to do things isn't the most efficient and, hence, less popular but I'm going to throw it out here anyway. I've done this one in reverse twice. I'd take a boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai, ferry across to Thailand, taxi to Chiang Rai. 2 days. Loved it so much had to do it again.
Dec 5th, 2018, 10:02 PM

Good point Mme Perdu! I think there is even a bridge now across the river.
Dec 6th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you crellston.We are not comfortable renting a car because we are used to the right side of the road and are in our early 70's.We have driven on the left in other countries many times in the past, but not know. I think your ideas of contacting our hotel in Chiang Rai is an excellent idea.

Search this Thread