Thailand November 2010

Search

Thailand November 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand November 2010

I have just booked tickets in and out of Bangkok for November 4-17. I now need some help with the itinerary and various questions. My original plan was about 5 nights in Bangkok, 4 nights at the beach around the Krabi area, and 3 nights in the Golden Triangle at the Anantara Resort. But I am now rethinking that last one, and wondering if we should go to Angkor Wat instead. We now have 13 total nights, 5-6 for Bangkok, 4 for the beach, and 3-4 for the GT or Angkor Wat.

My husband and I are in our mid-40s, like to hike, see ruins and nature, shopping, good food and wine. We are fairly experienced travelers, mostly laid back although we don't usually rough it. We are hoping to use Marriott points to stay at the river resort in Bangkok. At the beach I wanted to spend around $150 a night, but we do have AmEx points if there's a resort that's really worth a splurge. We were going to use those for the Anantara Resort, I haven't done any research on Siem Reap hotels yet.

I have done some research on the wide variety of beaches we could do, but can't seem to make a decision. Possibly Koh Phi Phi or somewhere near Krabi? One place that caught my eye was the Koh Jum Lodge on the island of Koh Jum. Has anyone stayed there? Any other recommendations? We way to lay around, snorkle, kayak, and eat. Don't care about nightlife except for a few restaurants.

The Golden Triangle. I don't think that we would do an overnight trek to see the Hill tribes. What else does that area have to do? Is there beautiful scenery? Is it worth it to ride an elephant? Because I am now wondering if we'd be crazy to miss Angkor Wat. If we stayed 4 nights is there anything else to see in the area aside from Angkor? My husband will get templed out I think after two days.

If we didn't go to Angkor Wat, would Ayutthaya be enough to satisfy my desire to see ruins?

I will save my Bangkok questions for a different thread, but any and all advice is appreciated!
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Interesting dilemma - I'd do Angkor Wat but I think you can do it in three days/3 nights, including the day you arrive if you take an early flight out from Bangkok. An extra day in Bangkok won't hurt you or spend it on the beach. The Golden Triangle does have some beautiful scenery but you can always come back to see it. If this is a one-shot deal, go to Angkor.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Definitely go to Angkor Wat. The temples really are the best ancient ruins in the world. As Craig says, three days/nights will be sufficient to see the major temples.

With AMEX points, you should check out the Sheraton Krabi on SPG.com. We loved it. Two nice pools, a very nice beach and a shaded area between the pools and the beach. Perfect for lounging about. We think Krabi is prettier than Phuket.

Bangkok Air is the only carrier between BKK and Siem Reap.
See if they still have the Discovery pass by calling the 800 number in the US. If they do, go on their website and check out which flights will work for you. Then brave the call center in India and make your reservations and you'll save some money.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM

We loved the Anantara at the Golden Triangle. It's a beautiful resort. It has a branch of the Thai Elephant Conservation Center on-site if you'd like to interact with the elephants. We found plenty to do in the Golden Triangle area without doing a hilltribe trek. The scenery is beautiful, there are some interesting ruins in Chiang Sean as well as a nice archaeological museum. It's so lovely and relaxing, you could opt to substitute it for a beach (though it sounds like you really do want to visit a beach).

Angkor is stunning. There are many dozens of accessible temples so you have to pick and choose which ones to visit. The traditional way to visit the temples is to go out early in the morning, tour until about noon, go back to your hotel for lunch and a rest or swim, then go back out at 3 or later and stay out until sunset. You'll hire a car and driver, and perhaps a guide. There are some other things to do in Siem Reap, though the temples are no doubt the main attraction. You can visit Tonle Sap (which people think is either a great trip or boring), you can visit the workshops at Artisans d'Angkor. There is a bit of shopping in town, the market and a few handicraft shops. Also, you can visit a school - see www.theplf.org If your husband gets templed out and you don't, you could certainly go out a morning or an afternoon without him - let him stay at your hotel and relax by the pool or get a massage.

In no way does Ayutthaya hold a candle to Angkor, though I found it interesting when I visited 20+ years ago (before it was possible to go to Angkor).

If you are seriously considering Angkor, buy a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wonderous Temples (or something like that). Also, you are welcome to take a look at our Angkor photos at www.marlandc.com You'll also find photos of the Anantara and the Golden Triangle area.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM

If you go to Angkor then you will only have 10 or less nights in Thailand. IMO you can only do two destinations with 10 nights so either Bangkok and a beach destination or Bangkok and the golden triangle area.

Ayutthaya, as Kathie have said already, is not impressive in terms of visiting just to see ancient ruins. Sukhothai and Sri Satchanalai are more impressive and the ruins are more intact. Angkor's ruins are almost fully intact as the city was mostly deserted while the ancient Thai cities were ransacked and burnt.

If you decide on staying just in Thailand then I recommend Bangkok 4 nights,fly or drive to Sukhothai(and Sri Satchanalai) 1 night, drive or coach to the Golden Triangle area 4 nights and then fly to a beach destination for 4 nights.

My pictures from Sukhothai and Sri Satchanalai: http://khun-pook.smugmug.com/History.../6915625_wsTws
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Go to Angkor Wat, Bangkok and Krabi!
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM

you have a good outline but also good additional suggestions here...

i love the marriott R&S-- a good place to use points... there are other marriotts in bkk too, but the river is special...

krabi would be a great place to go... i have been to the sheraton twice and its fantastic...also the nearby sofitel is an even nicer hotel but seperated from the beach by a small local road.. but if i had my choice i would stay at the amari vogue also in the same area and on the beach like the sheraton but a much smaller hotel.... all are self-contained hotels...

in order to avoid flights i would also consider hua hin, 2 hours drive south of bkk....the hyatt there is my favorite, but north of town is a fabulous sheraton---both are directly on the beach....you really would need a car at the sheraton...

anantara is very nice and a beautiful location, but honestly i do not find the scenery to be outstanding----lots of rolling green hills and a brown river....not bad but not anything special, but the quality of life there is slow and nice....a visit to the queen mother's estate, doi tung, is a must and about a 40 minute ride....plus you can have a wonderful elephant experience...

siem reap (angkor)... it is truly fantastic... hotels are generally expensive and food is ok... 3-4 days is perfect...i like the hotel de la paix and the sofitel....but there is now a meridien also i believe....plus lots of lesser places...

hanuman raises a good point however.....i would go for either SR or anatara, but not both...SR offers very little other than the ruins and the lake visit...

AY is not worth the effort imo....

do you know about the hotel discount sites:

www.asiarooms.com
www.agoda.com
www.sawadee.com

they are all prepays so be sure of your dates before you book--you do not earn hotel points on these stays...many rates include breakfast which is a deal if you can get it....plus it inclusdes tax/service of 17%...

if you have any starwood (sheraton) points their cash and points is a fantastic deal, for instance the krabi sheraton is 2800 pts plus $45 most of the time...
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM

if you go to krabi i have a great private boatman to take you to the island...just ask at [email protected] and i also have a restaurant review list for bkk and krabi
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. Although I'm sure the GT and Sukhothai are lovely, I'm leaning towards Angkor Wat for 3 nights, Bangkok for 6 nights, and somewhere around Krabi for 4 nights. I'll take a look at some of these suggestions for hotels and the air pass.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:44 AM

I think that is a great decision. The other places will still be there. Angkor is changing rapidly with the influx of visitors.

This will be a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Perfect break down of trip. You will be flying in and out of Bangkok, so your time there will be split. You could stay at two different hotels for different perspectives on the city. If so, a river hotel and a Sukhumvit hotel would fit. We have tons of reccos depending on your budget and of course possession of any hotel or Starwwod points.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

I know we have a bunch of AmEx points, not sure about Starwood, so I'll check. I was thinking of staying at the same place in BKK in case we wanted to leave some luggage there, but I'll check out the Sukhumvit area too. Are there restaurants near the Sheraton in Krabi?
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Find out if your AMEX points can be used as Starwood points. The Sheraton Krabi has a great cash and points deal.

There is a very goiod restaurant just across from the Sheraton Krabi called the Terrace. Delicious Chili Fish and Shrimp. The Italian restaurant at the Amari Vogue is a nice place for an upscale twilight dinner.

You can leave luggage at a BKK hotel even if you stay somewhere else on your return. we did exactly this while staying at the river Marriott and then the Plaza Athenee. Your first hotel is likely to be very accomodating.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Is there a big advantage to staying in two different spots in BKK? Is Sukhumvit better for shopping and restaurants, or tourist sites? I think I can either transfer AmEx points to Starwood, or use them to essentially buy hotel nights at different properties, but that is not as good a deal. I am concerned that we might only have enought Marriott points for 5 nights at the Marriott R&S, not 6....
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM

some never stay on the river and only stay around the sukhumvit area....i love both but i prefer the river...it just gives a better feel about bkk....its an oasis...

but as many point out all river locations are really not as good for shopping, although there is shopping....the main shopping is near to sukhumvit/plenochit

some of my favorite restaurants are off of sukhumvit but also there are a few around the river area: harmonique/tongue thai/gallery cafe
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM

I'd definitely say that you need 3 days at least for Angkor. depending on your interest in it's Hindi history etc and how much research you want to do.

If you are going to cut back, I'd suggest sacrifice Bkk or trim it.
I think that Bkk is often best seen at the end of a trip or on a second trip once you have a bit acclimatisation under your belt.

3 centres in that short time is also a lot - in which order???

as said your only option is to fly BkkAir to A.W. (Siem Reap) - that means two visits to bkk (going to Cambodia and coming back, or a connecting flight to/from Krabi.....I think you'll be running around too much