Thailand in August

Search

Thailand in August

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand in August

We're planning a trip to Thailand (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) and Siem Reap for early August with our 2 kids. That's the only time of year we can go. While we're very anxious to visit these places, I'm having second thoughts about the weather (heat, humidity and rain) and the mosquitoes. I've read some postings on Dengue Fever and it seems like it will be a constant concern to be vigilant about repellant (particularly since I can't imagine wearing long sleeves and pants in the heat). For those of you who have traveled to Thailand in the summer, how big an issue was this? Also, is the heat really much worse in summer than other times of the year? Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM

We've been to Thailand twice in August and twice in winter, and we are going to Singapore, Siem Reap and Thailand next August, too. Basically, it's hot and humid, but not much more so than we've experience in December/January. Rain tends to come in the afternoon/evening, and both Augusts we were in Thailand we didn' t have any full days of rain at all, though that could happen. Even if it did, that would not worry us as there is plenty to do even if it rains.

Dengue Fever is a fact of life in southeast Asia. None of us have had it, but in January 2006 we did have a Dengue Fever scare, where my daughter was very ill and showing Dengue-like symptoms...but she was diagnosed with a severe bacterial infection rather than Dengue and recovered to the point of swimming within 24 hours of high power antibiotics, and within 3 days she was good as new. The hospital did take the possibilities of Dengue and Malaria seriously though, and tested her for both of those, among other things.

You can't do anything other than avoid mosquito bites to prevent Dengue Fever, so DEET is recommmended, pretty much all day and night, as Dengue carrying mosquitos and malaria carrying mosquitos bite at different times of day. Siem Reap is a malaria risk area.

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. Is it safe to assume that most of the more upscale accomodations and restaurants will be airconditioned?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Yes...but we find it quite pleasant to eat breakfast and dinner outdoors, as even if there is an ac dining room, we find them too cold for our liking and not nearly as interesting as sitting outdoors.

Many places, even upscale ones, have at least some outdoor dining. Some places, even upscale ones, don't have indoor dining rooms but only ones covered by a roof (Yaang Come Village in Chiaing Mai for example, is very nice, but the dining is not indoors).

All but the most basic of accommodations offer ac rooms.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:16 PM

One of the months that I go to Thailand is in August and I found the weather fine. It's a lot cooler than spring time. As for rain, there were some very brief downfalls on a few occasions, but nothing that stopped me from doing what I needed to do. You just do as folks there do and take cover until it stops. It's never lasted long in my experience. I actually like August since there are definitely fewer tourists so it's easier to get a place to stay and at a lower rate. I think the tourists stay away because of being worried about the weather. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:26 PM

We had the same concerns last year for our July/August trip. It did rain some days but usually briefly in the afternoon. Yes it will be hot but so it will be any time you go ( much hotter in April ). Go...you will enjoy it as we did.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think we're inclined to go after all your encouragement!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Go and have a ball. Don't worry about the weather.You'll be having so much fun that you won't even notice it. Happy Travels!