Angkor and Luang Prabang in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just returned from a lovely weekend in Luang Prabang. I would like to take my family there and to Angkor next year, but due to school schedules, the trip will have to be in August. I am worried that it might rain everyday and it will be too hot to enjoy. Please let me know what you think.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 09:03 AM

dhberry - our own trip to Angkor was not in August, but we've heard from others that summer is not the ideal time to go given the heat/wet (perhaps on Spring Break instead?). How was the weather in Luang Prabang now (we are thinking of a few days there in December)?
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 09:28 AM

We were in Thailand and Cambodia in August last year. No day was worse than a "hot" summer day here in Chicago. It rained sometimes, but usually at night and certainly not all day. Wear light and loose clothes. If you are doing Angkor have a driver with an A/C car and a cooler of cold water. (A driver and a guide should only be about US$50 per day.) If August is the only time your schedule permits don't not go just because of the weather.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I agree not to miss the trip just because of a bit of rain. I was in LP and SR last August and I sort of enjoyed the occasional outbursts, which were'nt all that often actually. It was cloudier than when I was there in January and that helped keep the sun at bay.

Less people, everything cheaper...there are advantages to the rainy season.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM

We're going to Angkor and Thailand in August. We've been to Thailand in August twice already, and the rain usually happens in the afternoon/early evening. The heat isn't bad for us...Bangkok in August is a relief compared to where we live in our experience. The lower prices make it attractive, too.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM

I've been to Laos for two Augusts and Cambodia for another and every year I go to Thailand at that time as well.

Really the weather is not too bad at all. Yes its hot and there is some rain but its not usually enough to stop us doing anything. One year we did get out of the remote north of Thailand just before it flooded which would have been a problem. Last August in Luang Prabang we had one day (of 2 weeks) when it rained all day and another couple with afternoon showers. Last year virtually no rain at all - just the odd bit at night. Angkor a few years ago again mostly just showers for part of the afternoon or more often early evening.

I think its important not to schedule masses of things in each day. Do like the locals - especially at Angkor - go out early and come back for a long lunch in the heat of the day and then go out again later in the afternoon. If you use a guide and car then the aircond in the car really helps take some pressure off. Obviously if you stay in accommodation with airconditioning it helps as well.

One benefit of August is that there are a few less people about.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Answer to WinterTravel: Weather in Luang Prabang last weekend was good. Warm but not uncomfortably so, cool nights.