Thailand Honeymoon in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all.. I'm planning a honeymoon in October in BKK and Koh Samui. I've heard of it being rainy and all, but we are willing to take our chances and hopefully won't be bothered by the rain.

1st, we are starting in BKK for 3 nights (The Peninsula or Banyon Tree)
Then, stopping by Koh Samui for 4 nights (Poppies resort)
Finally, going back to BKK for 2 nights.

It's not much time, so I was hoping for any suggestion on sightseeing and things to do. Plus, any suggestions in fine dining and cheap shopping would greatly be appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM

jean i have a restaurant listing i have compiled for bkk if you would like it e mail me:
[email protected]

i would pick the peninsula over the banyon tree any day if for no other reason than its location... both are nice hotels however....but being on the river is special and perfect for a honeymoon....

good hotel rates found at www.huahin.20m.com

tons of sighseeing in bkk, not so much in samui....

grand palace
jim thompson house
wat arun
wat pho
v-mark palace
flower market
long tail boat tour of klongs in thornburi---penn. will arrange for you with pick up at hotel pier...

shopping, shopping, shopping
lots of nice things for your new home...

warning: you probably will be quite tired upon arrival...2 days in bkk may not allow you much time...any chance you could plan to stay a few extra days?

Old May 25th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Hi

You have something to look forward to...Thailand is a great vacation destination. But Bangkok can be a shock to the system if you are not used to big cities...but it is a fun experience. My wife and I have been to Thailand twice in the wet season and yes, it will probably rain more or less every day. But normally it does not rain all day long. I have posted a trip report with some pictures from our last trip to Thailand on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm . Maybe you can get some useful information there. Have a great honeymoon Get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:53 AM

My fine dining recommendations (my opinion only, I welcome other's opinions.):

Best food & atmosphere for the price:
The Bed, Sukhumvit Soi 11

Best food & atmosphere regardless of price:
Mezaluna, The Dome at State Tower

Best food regardless of price:
Mistral, Gaysorn Plaza Chit Lom

Best Thai food & atmosphere regardless of price:
The Face, Sukhumvit soi 36

Any of these would be great for a honeymoon dinner. The Oriental has a Thai dinner & show across the river from the hotel if you prefer something Thai with entertainment.

The most incredible bar in Bangkok (maybe in the world?) is Sky Bar at the top of State Tower. I think it is a must see place one night ( another great honeymoon spot.)
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM

My restaurant recommendations:

The China House (located on the grounds of the Oriental) for Peking Duck

Lanna Thai at Face (as per Brad's recommendation)

Mahanaga (Thai and some fusion)

I really only eat Asian food in Thailand, though as Brad notes, there are good restaurants with other cuisines.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Kathie,
I eat Thai & Japanese food 90% of the time. Of course the Thai food in Bangkok is the best in the world. Also the sashimi is very fresh and cheap at most of the Japanese restaurants in town.

Bangkok is also famous for cheap good quality shark fin soup. The Chinese come from China, Hong Kong, & Taiwan to Bangkok to eat it. They can save enough money to pay for tickets & a hotel vs the prices in Hong Kong.

I tried it. I thought it was OK at best, but over-priced. I guess you have to believe the Chinese superstition to be willing to pay for it?
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Yes, I expect that's so, Brad. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but I have to say that shark's fin struck me as not very interesting.