Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand Honeymoon - Any Safety Concerns?

Jan 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

We are currently looking for an affordable honeymoon spot with a mix of beaches and culture. Thailand seems like a good fit, but we have some safety concerns, considering the frequent coups in the past. We have traveled extensively on our own throughout Europe, and usually have no trouble getting around. However, neither of us has been to Asia before. We looked at the information on the Department of State site, and, while there are no travel warnings out, they do talk about continuing unrest/violence in the South, some issues on the border with Burma, and of course the political protests in Bangkok. We were particularly worried about protests shutting down the airport and being stuck in the country.

Is this something we should be worried about? Are there certain areas of the country to avoid? We'd love to hear from travelers who've had experience with this!
Jan 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Thailand is very safe for tourists. Their economy relies on an influx of western toursits. You will be very safe. Once my wife and I went to Thailand in 2002, we were so taken, that all of our vacations since then have been to asia. we find it much more interesting than Europe.
Jan 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM

forget the department of state...

thailand is totally safe... safer than most usa cities...

i would not venture to the extreme south near to the malay border casue that seems to be a hot bed...

the coups and attempts are largely centered in a small part of bkk where most tourists never venture....its easy to avoid them... life in the rest of the city goes on as usual... and the rest of the country as well...

when i say south i do not mean phuket, krabi or samui---further south than all of them...

go and have a good time...

the only time i have safety concerns is in crowded places like the skytrain on busy days and crowded markets....just keep your wallets safe.... of course don't travel with more money in cash than you might use in a day.....i never have more than $300 cash.... and i leave my passport in the hotel safe...
Jan 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Thailand has got to be one of the safest countries around. The "coups" were hardly noticed while happening, and while the airport protests were inconvenient, I don't think safety was an issue. I feel much safer in Thailand than in France or Spain or parts of LA..
Jan 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Very helpful to hear some reassurance. Now we just have to figure out if the weather works (we're getting married next September and hoping to go either immediately following the wedding or within a few months after.)
Jan 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM

my suggestion is that you wait until at least oct 15.....before that the weather is iffy