Thailand help

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand help

Hi,
I've done a lot of reading before but have never posted. I need help with part of my itinerary to Thailand in March '08. Can anyone advise how many days I should spend in Chiang Mai and Bangkok? I was thinking 3 each, but am flexible. Just FYI I am female travling alone, and I'm not real big on shopping, but will go to the night markets. I really would like to tempels and more cultural places of interest. I also know it will be very hot in Bangkok in March, and have tried to take that into consideration in planning. I have tried going through previous messages, but there are so many! Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Vikinggirl18
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:35 AM

There is so much to see in do in BKK that I would advise a ratio of 4 to 1 - 4 parts Bkk and 1 part Chaing Mai
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM

I assume that you've read enough to decide you want to go to Chiang Mai. Many love CM, others do not. I would spend more time in Bangkok, but again, some love it and some do not. BKK is a big city with traffic and crowds. However, it's alive in a fascinating way. I would spend three days in BKK, three days in CM and two days in BKK. This will give enough time to cover the main sites in each and some relaxation time (a necessity in Asia).
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM

How many days do you have? From my perspective for someone who is interested in learning about the people and culture of thailand I would do 6-8 days in bangkok; 4 days in chaing mai and 3 days in chiang rai/golden triangle area.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

I have 2 weeks in Thailand, the last 3 days will be in Phuket for a little beach time. I was in Thailand back in 1992 near the Cambodia border. A family member of mine was the health director of a refugee camp on the Thai/Cambodia border. Didn't make it to Chiang Mai on that trip and only 2 quick days in BKK.
Best Regards,
Vikinggirl18
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Ok 2 weeks thats 14 days less 3 that you indicated in Phuket. That leaves 11 - assuming we are not counting travel days. Maybe 7 in BKK and 4 in CM.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:01 PM

If you have 11 days I would also recommend 7 in bangkok and 4 in chiang mai.

Another option would be 4 in bangkok, 4 in chiang mai and 3 in golden triangle or MHS area.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I 2nd the recommendation to do the three-part trip - BKK, Chiang Mai and Golden Triangle. Golden Triangle was incredible and not to be missed - plus, depending on the situation over there, you can also do a day trip to Burma/Myanmar from Golden Triangle. Totally worth it - and it's a very interesting time to visit.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Are you going to go to the elephant camps and trekking from Chiang Mai? If yes, I would allocate more time there. I think 2 days in Bangkok is enough if you're not shopping (night markets are shopping and you may not want to do more than one if that's not your thing) and are not doing side trips. If you're going to do side trips to the temples, then you can do 2 days in Bangkok itself and 2 days on a side trip to the temples. Then finish off with 2-3 days in CM.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM

You're already going to Phuket, keep the rest to a split between BKK and Chiang Mai. Changing locations wastes at least 1/2 day each time. Relax. The 7-BKK, 4-CM split seems good to me. Stay in BKK at the front and back of the trip. You can stay indifferent hotels to switch things up.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM

First part of your Thailand trip in Bangkok, 2nd part in Chiang Mai and then Phuket.

Spend the last night again in Bangkok so you don't have to worry about making connections and miss the flight home. You mention shopping, this last night in Bangkok would be another shot at checking out some more stores! Some hotels will let you store stuff figuring on you returning for another booking. You could store your winter gear if you have any instead of carrying everything all over tropical Thailand!

Tours are plentiful out of Chiang Mai, just go to a travel agent and check out what they have on their list. There are tours that go to the Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle area that are pretty
interesting. You may have an opportunity to take a short boat ride over to visit some other villagers and try some "Snake Wine!"

With the time limits you have I would do a day trip to Chiang Rai plus Golden Triangle and return to Chiang Mai. Party at night in Chiang Mai where there is more to do in the evening and the shopping is more varied! You can do other tours to the "Long Neck Villages" and other rural attractions on a day to day basis. You could keep the same hotel instead of picking up and moving all the time.

If you need hotel recommendations let us know how much you want to spend per night and how many per room to narrow down the suggestions.

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

So, I need some more advise. Looks like I can get out of the resort booking in Phuket, so the Golden Triangle may be possible. As I'm now doing this Thailnad trip alone how do I piece this all together? Is there a bus/train form Chiang Mai? Some kind of tour I can book?
I don't want to rent a car. any advise at thie point is appreciated
Best Regards,
Vikinggirl18
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM

You can take a bus, though as a recent report warned, it's a third world bus ride.

You can hire a car and driver.

There may be tourist mini-buses between CM and CR. You could wait and inquire once you are there if you are comfortable winging it.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM

there are travel agencies there on every corner. you'll have no trouble booking a bus once you're there. have you already invested in a guidebook?