Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Two weeks in Thailand...Where should I go week 2?

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I going to Thailand for two weeks, and I need suggestions for week 2. Here's my itinerary so far:

3 nights, 4 days BKK
FLIGHT TO CHIAN MAI
4 nights, 3 days Chian Mai/Rai
(Day trip to Chian Rai - don't know if this is realistic?)
FLIGHT BACK TO BKK (only because flights from CM only go to BKK)

Where should I spend the next 5 days?

I love culture, food, art, people, shopping small villages, and large cities, but I'm not crazy about the beach...meaning I don't like to just sit on the beach all day.

Should I spend time in other North Eastern parts of Thailand, go to Angkor Wat, or spend time in the southern parts of Thailand? Is there enough culture down in southern Thailand to keep me busy?

Ps. I would probably fly a LCC down south or north east to save on time.

Thanks in advance! I love this site!!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Is this your first trip to Thailand? If so, you may want to divide your time between Bangkok and northern Thailand. Say, 3 days in Bangkok at the beginning and another three at the end, and go to two locations in Northern Thailand in between. You could choose a Chaing Mai/Chaing Rai (Golden Triangle) combination or a Chaing Mai/Mae Hong Son combination.

If you want to go to Angkor, I'd suggest a minimum of three full days there.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM

I would do exactly as Kathie suggested. 3 days BKK, some time in the North, split between Chiang Mai and either Chiang Rai or Mae Hong Son. If you're young or energetic, you could go on a several day trek in the North visiting Hill Tribes. If you go on the trek, be sure to attempt to get out of the usual tourist route.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Although it's only a twice a week flight ( fri and Sun ) you can fly from CM to udon Thani which gives you a chance to see the north-east.
Also you would considor heading south from Bangkok to coastal area, beach yes but more 'coastal than beach', Sam Roi Yot National Park, local villages and farmlands, there are however in same region some superb resorts too.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Based on your interests I would spend 7 days in Bangkok, 3 days in Chiang Mai and 4 days in northern thailand --Mae Hong Son or Chiang Rai area. Think about staying somewhere like Fern Resort of perhaps an off the beaten path place like Doi Mae Salong
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - You have all been very helpful. I'm noticing a trend here...a lot of people are encouraging me to spend more time in BKK so I might just do that!

I'm also wondering, do I need to over night it at Chian Rai, or can I make a day trip from CM out of this?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM

If you decide to go to Chaing Rai, do spend at least one night there. You can also fly back to Bangkok from CR rather than returning to CM.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:43 PM

You should definitely spend at least one night in Chiang Rai (or the surrounding area). Do NOT do it as a day trip.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advise!

Kathie, I've seen your comments in other threads, and I have to say you are very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Agree with them all and skip the south as Koh Samui and Phuket don't really have much local flavour. Hua Hin is fantastic and has one of the best spas in Asia. Itís where the Thais go for holiday in Thailand. Chiang Mai is great and taking a boat trip up the Mekong to the Golden Triangle and visiting Laos and Burma all in one day is a blast. The hotel can arrange it. I didn't think much of Chiang Rai but good for treks.