Thailand cruise and Cambodia and Vietnam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think this itinerary is too ambitious for 2-2 1/2 weeks? We'd fly to Phuket from US on award tickets from AA, via Bangkok or Hong Kong. We'd take a 7 day Star Clipper cruise in the Andaman Sea along the coast of Thailand. Then fly back to BKK and on to to Siem Riep for 3 days/nights of touring the temples. Then back to BKK for 2 nights, then to Hong Kong for 2 nights. Or we'd fly to Saigon after Cambodia for 4 nights and back to the US. We have been to Bangkok and Saigon before./
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Yes, I think it is too much. Travel time means that you lose almost a whole day each time you change locations. So your two nights in bangkok and two nights in Hong Kong become one full day in each - not enough to expereince much in either place. You need three full days of touring at Angkor just to see the major temples. If you are really interested in teh temples, you'll want more time.

Since the point of your trip appears to be to cruise, I'd say you could fit in the cruise, 3 days 4 nights in Siem Reap and one other location.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I agree with Kathie. Pick either BKK or HK, but not both. I'll be interested to hear about your cruise.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

If I get a Discovery Pass could I fly from Phuket direct to Siem Riep? Or do I have to go via Bangkok? It's been 12 years since we've been to BKK and HK, 4 years since Vietnam. It's hard to choose which to revisit. Maybe spending a week in Cambodia split between Siem Riep and Phnom Penh makes more sense. With thee discount airlines in Asia now it appears easier to go from one country to another. We would be exiting Asia via HK with the award tickets so I'd like to spend at least one day there. I'm looking at doing this trip in Nov. or early Dec. 2008.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM

From Phuket to Siem Reap you have to go via Bangkok. If you use the Discovery Pass, it's two coupons.

It may seem easy to go from place to place with the discount airlines, but the discount airlines tend to have more glitches and they won't re-book you if you miss your flight for any reason. Basically, you still lose a day each time you change locations.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM

my immediate question would be if AA has the FF tickets available....i doubt it...

i would skip saigon---you are the only -people who i have ever heard say they wish to return there....??

i would think tacking on HK would be tons of fun....
\
i could eliminate bkk then, as much as i love it....
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

I've had good luck getting FF tickets from AA to go where I want, in business class. Last year we flew Qantas to Australia in business. Maybe I'll spend one week of the trip on the cruise and one week in Cambodia, then 2 days in either Bangkok or Hong Kong. Or skip the cruise and see a few countries. From past memories, I like BKK better. I know HK has become quite expensive now, and also very dirty and polluted.

It's not especially Saigon that we like but the country of Vietnam. We went from Hanoi to Hue to Hoi An to HCM in 2 weeks with a private tour/guide and had a blast. We'd like to go back to Vietnam before it becomes too civilized and Westernized. I understand Cambodia is the new "in" place for tourists now, the place to go before it too becomes spoiled.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:54 AM

"Or skip the cruise and see a few countries."

With a mere 2.5 weeks, you won't see a few countries. You can make maybe 3 - 4 stops in that amount of time.

"I understand Cambodia is the new "in" place for tourists now, the place to go before it too becomes spoiled."

Frankly, when you look back 5 or 10 years from now, every place you've visited will likely look "spoiled" in the sense of being increasingly affected by globalization. So don't choose a place on the basis of what is "in" but on the basis of your interest in what the country has to offer. In virtually any country it SE Asia, it is easy to get off the toursit track and be the only westerner in a place.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Susiesan can tell you more about the Star Clipper Cruises, tall ships, I think they are pricey.

Wihtout going off topic too much I have mentioned a few times for those interested in cruises and also Asia that Star Cruises ( different from Star Clipper ) do have these quite 'reasonable priced' cruises in the region out of Singapore for those who like cruise and stay options, they have been in and out of Phuket for over 10 years and you can do like Singapore to Phuket on a cruise liner or Phuket to Singapore, Jan to April they do a 1 week cruise that takes in Port Klang ( for KL ), Langkawi, Krabi, Phuket and Penang.
You can also do a Phuket-Penang-Singapore-Port Klang-Langkawi-krabi-Phuket.
April to October they do Singapore-Koh Samui-Ho Chi Minh City ( Saigon )- Tioman-Singapore

They are very much like those Caribbean cruises, travel overnight and day stop, but for those who like cruises and wonder if they exist, yes, they do.
http://www.starcruises.com/Itinerari...ore/index.html

I am not suggesting them as a way to see those places but more as something perhaps a little different for those who know the area and might think about a cruise and stay, there are also options for cruise line travel with them Singapore-Bangkok etc.

SEAtours are the agents in Thailand
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Woo hoo-I got 2 business class FF seats going over from Kansas City to Phnom Penh on AA and Cathay Pacific on my first phone call for Nov. 11, 2008. Now I have to wait two weeks for seats home from Phuket to open up for booking. Wish me luck. Once I get a return I'll book the cruise and then figure out what to do for a week in Cambodia. : )