Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

7 days in Cambodia-how to split between Phnom Penh & Siem Riep?

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 7 days to spend in Cambodia. I'd like to visit both cities. We arrive PNH at 10:45 am on Sat. Nov. 15. We need to leave REP for Phuket
on Sat. Nov. 22 in the morning to take a Star Clipper cruise that afternoon. How long is good for each place? Our main area of interest is the temples at Angkor Wat, but I've read PNH is charming too and better for shopping than REP. Is 2 days in PNH and the rest in REP a good plan? Am I trying to cram too much into one week? Our frequent flier tickets can get us to Phnom Penh, not Siem Riep. I'll be getting a Discover Air Pass to take care of the other flights.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Two days in PP and the rest in Siem Reap is a reasonable division of time. If it were me (and it isn't) I'd spend all of my time in Siem Reap. One week wasn't enough for us there.

If you have a cruise the afternoon of Nov 22, you may well want to fly to Phuket on the 21st. If you are late for your cruise, they won't wait for you.

You are cramming a lot into a little time. Make sure you allow for the little glitches that happen with all travel, but especially with travel in thrid world countries.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

I plan to fly to Phuket on 11/22 the day of the cruise on Bangkok Airways 924 which leaves Siem Riep at 9:50 am to BKK then into Phuket at 1:05pm. The ship doesn't leave until 5:00 pm. Or we'd leave SR on BK Air 910 at 8:05 pm Friday, spend the night at the airport in Bangkok, then into Phuket on BK Air 271 at 7:55am-9:15am arrive PHK. Do you know of any inexpensive hotels near the BKK airport?

Susie
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Phnom Penh deserves 2 full days to see the major sites. Then to see more of Cambodia take a bus or taxi (5 hrs) to Siem Reap rather than fly. That gives you 4 days to visit the temples and perhaps a floating village. Unless you are into temples this is sufficient time.

Your early morning flight should be fine and even if it a couple of hrs late, still gives you plenty of time to catch your cruise at 5pm
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 08:13 PM

2 days in PP is enough. I would spend 4 days in SR which would allow you to take a day trip out of town if you like. I did the 3 day pass for the Ankor ruins and found that plenty but I know many people want more. A bit further out from the regular circuit there is a place with water lingas that is supposed to be great--I didn't have time to find it.

Another option for going PP-SR is taking the boat up the river. It's a long ride (6 hour?) but a fascinating way to see the countryside. Try to get a higher class boat. If you have to take the regular one, I'd suggest sitting on the roof, as you get a better view and it feels less claustrophobic.

bk
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM

I actually like PP, but I agree, 2 for PP and 5 for SR, if those are the only two places in Cambodia being considered. PP seemed good for soaking up life, but isn't chock full of tourist-interest type stuff to see.

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM

angkor passes come in one day, three day or one week passes. so three days in each place plus a day in transit would be fine. There is plenty to see and do in Phnom Penh but for me the ruins of Angkor are the big attraction. I spent a whole wee there.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/Cambodia/Cambodia.htm