Thailand, Burma and Laos which is the best way to plan this trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is time to start planning another trip. Am back from Spain and over the jetlag.

I am going to attend a similar meeting in Thailand, as the one I went to in Seoul last year. It starts in Hua Hin Oct 26th and ends in Chiang Rai November 3.

My question is do I go to Laos first, then Bankok and continue on to Burma from Chiang Rai? Or do I visit Laos and Burma at the end of the trip?

Haven't decided on the length of the trip or what to do. or where to go as yet.
Have been reading the journals from Burma, which have given me some ideas.

Do I really need guides there?

As susual all and any advice gratefully accepted

Since this is basically my first day of thinking about the trip everything is still very vague.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM

If you are flying from NY to SE Asia, you'll need to land in Bangkok first before going to either Laos or Burma. So I'd do the meetings first, then from Chiang Rai, take the boat down the river to Luang Prabang and visit anywhere else you want to visit in Laos. From either LP or Vietianne, fly back to Bangkok then onward to Rangoon. Note that while you can enter Burma overland from northern Thailand, you cannot then travel around Burma. You can only stay in the immediate area, or if you have a regular visa, you may be able to fly to Rangoon.

As you may know, I am preparing for a trip to Burma in November. Do you really need guides there? No, it's a matter of personal preference. You may have read Craig's excellent report. He and Jeane used guides everywhere. Also read Hanuman's report - they did not use guides anywhere. I do not plan to use guides much, if at all. I really prefer to do my research ahead of time and wander without a guide.

Time-wise, I can only say what we've done or have planned. We spent a week in LP and would have liked to have more time to visit other areas (still on our travel wish list). We're planning right now for 10 days in Burma (Inle Lake, Bagan, Rangoon), and of course we wish we had more time.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie,

Yes I read your thread and Craig's report. Both great threads. Will look up Hanuman's right this moment.

If you read any of my reports from last years trip, you may have noticed that I am not a huge fan of guides. Am happy to hear one can do it on ones own.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Yes, I remembered that since I am also not a fan of guides, and use them only in special situations.

By the way, it is possible that we may overlap in Burma. I haven't finalized my Burma arrangements, but we'll fly into Burma in mid-November.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:44 AM

i assume that you know that you cannot fly from CR to either of those places....you must go through CM or BKK i believe...

for this reason i would use bkk as my base...

as to your question about where to go when, i caution you not to forget about jet lague from your initial arrival....so if you were to go immediately to Laos allow for a day or two of down time to catch up with yourself...
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Kathie it is very possible that we will overlap.

RHK will have been in Thailand for about 2 weeks, jet lag should not be a problem.
Now for the details including Bangkok. Last time I was there was in 1965. Lots of changes and much planning to do. Hope you can advice.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Do you have choices as to where you can stay during these meetings or is that determined by the meeting organizers?

Yes, Bangkok has certainly changes since 1965... it's changed dramatically since my first trip there in the mid-1980s. There are so many Bangkok addicts among the regulars on this board, we'll have all kinds of (sometimes contradictory) recommendations. Let us know what you need - hotels, restaurants, spas, sightseeing?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM

As far as guides go in Burma, you don't need one in Bagan if you do your own research on the temples. That being said, Bagan is fairly spread out so if you want to get to the market and some of the outlying temples, you will need a driver who speaks English (not a horse cart).

At Inle Lake, you probably don't need a guide either but if you want to get "out there" you have no choice (see my trip report).

In Rangoon, I would try and look up the driver that Bob (RHKKMK) had as our experience was frustrating (although we did accomplish what we set out to accomplish).
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Changed my tickets and purchased one on Singapore Air. While I was at it lengthened my stay. so this is now my preliminary general itinerary. Leave NYC 10/7
3 day layover in Singapore visiting friends.
Arrive Bangkok and transfer to a flight to Rangoon. spend about 2 1/2 weeks there. Return to Bangkok staying at Rembrandt Hotel which is the hotel booked for the meeting. Do the after-the- meeting trip to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Then from there Laos for 2+ weeks. Back to Bangkok around the
20th or so. Spend a week or more in Bangkok, and decide what to do the final week before I return on 12/7

If I can hook up with everybody in BKK for Thanksgiving that would be fun.

Now it is time to try to figure out what I am really doing.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Wow! What a luxury to have all that time. It sounds like a great traip.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM

I am looking for details on the RHKKMK driver in Rangoon--is there a trip report?
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 02:07 PM

my driver's name is Kway Naing....e mail is:

[email protected]

he is a fantastic guy and tons of fun....his toyota is a bit old but so are many cars in yangon...

tell him i sent you

ask about the laquareware place on 13th street
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM

ny woman....gpanda and i will be in bkk around thanksgiving....watch for notice of a GTG
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Thank you so much!!! How did you find him in the first place?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Kathie,
It is known as retirement. I do know it is a luxury which I thoroughly appreciate. It took a few years to adjust but now........I love it.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM

i found his info on fodors i believe.... we used him for 5 days on our visit and i have sent others to him as well...
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Ah, Nywoman, I look forward to all of that travel time once I retire. The date has been pushed back a bit due to the incredible shrinking portfolio...
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Nywoman, your trip sounds fantastic. Please continue to keep us appraised of your plans...
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Yes, Nywoman, more information please as plans develop because this sounds like a sensational trip...
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM

Thanks, Bob.

This DOES sound like an amazing trip! I will be following along with the planning details..