Travel agent or book ourselves?

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel agent or book ourselves?

My boyfriend and I (both 25) are going to Asia for the first time on Aug 1 for 4 weeks. I've posed some questions on here already in the past, but we still have nothing firmly planned aside from our main flight NYC-Tokyo on Aug 1 and Hong Kong-NYC on Aug 30. We have an idea of where we want to go, and I've done some research re getting around the region, hotels, etc., but we're only about 7 weeks away now. Would it be easiest if we find a travel agent to help us book everything? Would an agent be able to get us better deals than we would find online, especially given the length of the trip? Or would booking everything ourselves be most cost effective? We are set on going to Tokyo and Seoul (to visit friends), then obviously Hong Kong for the flight out. We are also considering (will not visit all) the following: Angkor Wat, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Kuala Lumpur, Bali, Singapore, and somewhere in the Philippines.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM

In general, it's cheaper to book hotels yourselves. You can usually get better prices online than a travel agent will give you. Also, you can book online as you go, perhaps just a week ahead.

You want to do a lot of flying it looks like. Are you using an airpass? Are you planning to use budget airlines? You probably want to decide how you are managing air travel, as air passes must be booked outside the region, and budget airlines prices are better if you book father in advance.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM

of course a TA would be easiest imo....all you do with them is say yes or no...

but as kathie says you will do better on your own, but it takes time and effort....but the effort pays off in that you get exactly what you want and you have learned along the way about what things are offered in each place...

thailand is very easy for self touring and set-up...bangkok is a good jump off point for some other places also

we love to help also so decide what you want to do and come back here for help....we are waiting
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much of Asia is actually not a bad place to just wing it. Show up at a hotel or guesthouse and "discuss" the rate. I wouldn't do that for HK, and maybe not for BKK, although I have done it there on occasion. Or book my email (or by having your current hotel call) a couple of days ahead. If you're staying more upmarket some of the online sites are good for cheaper rates. Train tickets you can usually get a couple of days ahead, but flights, outside China, you should probably do earlier.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I think we're going to book ourselves! That being said...

-Are there any other reliable budget airlines besides Air Asia? (I'm pretty sure most/all of our travel will require flights not trains)

-What airlines should we look into for the following legs:
Tokyo to Seoul
Seoul to Tagbilaran, Philippines
For this second leg, I assume we will probably be flying Seoul-Manila 1 way, then buy a round trip ticket Manila-Tagbilaran as we would like to spend 1 day in Manila after Tagbilaran.

I've thought a lot about where to go in the Philippines and, after crossing Cebu, Boracay, and Banaue off the list, my current choice, obviously, is Tagbilaran (stay on Panglao Island, for about 4 days) because it seems like there are several things to do to get a good varied experience of the country. We'll plan to spend time on the beach and also see the Chocolate Hills (which I know will probably be green in Aug) and Bohol Island. I'm not stuck on Tagbilaran though and am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 03:51 AM

If you're going to book yourself, I suggest that you create a grid to coordinate. This is easily done using MS Word and the table form. Make the appropriate number of rows and have 7 columns. this always clarifies things for us.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't flown any of these, but an article stashed in my Asia file lists: Jetstar Asia, Tiger Airways, Nok Air, Orient Thai and Valuair. I have flown DragonAir - not sure whether they count as budget.