Thai massage

Nov 10th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thai massage

Hi,

This will be our 1st time to visit Bangkok. We wanna get a traditional Thai massage. People says that Oriental Spa is good, but it's pretty expensive and a little too long($330 for 5.5 hrs session).

Could anyone recommend any good Thai massage places? Web sites will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot!
Nov 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM

upstairs from the gallery cafe near the sheraton orchid...

wat pho---they will come to your hotel as well...

any hotel of any size offers the service...hotels tend to be expensive...

lots of others will answer
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:31 AM

The Massage School at Wat Pho might fit you needs. You can get a massage at Wat Pho or have someone come to your room. You can arrange this by telephone from your room. Just call the school and tell them what hotel and what time. My wife and I have enjoyed numerous massages from this School at our hotel room. Definitely get one the first day you're there. It's a great way to work out the cramps from a long flight. You can get their phone number from the web. My memory is that a 1 1/2 hour massage is 700 Baht. Just google them. Hotel spas are very good, but much more expensive.
Nov 11th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Actually Oriental's price $330 is not that bad beacuse if 5.5 hours.
We did in Four Seasons in Chiang Mai for the same price but for 2 hours. However, the ambience and surroundings this is what matters. It was not just massage, it was an experience. It was some kind of body treatment which in ancient times they used for warriors - oils and hot stones together with massage. The smells in the room were unbeleivable. We had 2 therapist for 2 people (myself and a husband). So in Oriental it is probably something like that.

However if you get people to come to your hotel room, it cost $25 per person massage for 2 hours! We had money but did not have time!!

sophia

So we had to try it.
Nov 11th, 2004, 04:43 AM

$330 !!! Are you insane ?
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:21 AM

Massages are my life. My experience is that the very high-priced massages are accompanied by a peaceful and relaxing environment, but the skill of the masseuse is not necessarily congruent with the cost. They will always be good, but not always great. Some are great, but most are not. If you think about the sheer volume of their customers, you will realize that it is impossible for them to be magical consistently. Accepting this, I look for competence. Do they seem to focus on the task at hand (or are they going through the motions? I've decided that I would rather have a large number of good massages than search for one or two magical ones. To this end, I've used the services of the people from Wat Pho School of Massage. I mix in a few massages from Mandara at the Royal Orchid Sheraton, but mostly for comparison. By using the services of the Wat Pho School, I can justify getting a massage every day. I've even tricked my wife into this routine. It's the perfect transition between daytime sightseeing and evening activities. We're going in two weeks and I will report any additional findings.
Nov 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM

$330 is about the same we pay here but massage in Four Seasons you cannot compare with anything else.
It is not just therapist but environment.
No we are not insane.
Nov 11th, 2004, 03:03 PM

I am sorry, let me clarify. $330 at Four Seasons was for 2 hour treatment, for 2 people (not for one).
Nov 11th, 2004, 09:04 PM

$330 is still expensive
from the Chi spa at Shangri-la
YIN YANG COUPLE'S MASSAGE (per couple)
2 hours 15 minutes Baht, 4500

Especially created for couples to harmonise and pleasantly balance the flow of relationship chi between two people. A couple will experience this massage, in the same room, with two therapists coordinating deep rhythmical strokes. Focus is given to specific meridians, releasing tension and restoring peace and harmony.

Might choose one of those in a Fortnight I think

Nov 11th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Sorry my intention is not to be rude but $330 is an insane amount of money to spend. You are simply paying for the name. Go to Wat Po and drop the rest in the charity box. You still get a fantastic massage and also the good feelings that you've helped those in need. If I was having a $330 massage i wouldn't feel comfortable thinking of the good I could have done.
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:51 AM
CFW

Question about Wat Po massages -- Isn't it unpleasant with the heat and humidity? Do you wear your street clothes? What about when the masseuse(sp?) comes to the hotel? Isn't it awkward to have a male massueuse come to the hotel room for a massage on a woman. What do you wear? Sorry if these questions seem odd, but I obviously haven't had experience with this! Gpanda, hope you can help. And have a great trip!
Nov 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM

The Wat Po masseuses will come to your hotel, so you can have a massage in the comfort of your hotel room.
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:24 AM

SidB.
We wanted to have massage in the spa, not beacuse of the name. I looked at the spa first and I wanted it. Our guide could arrange for other spas in Chiang Mai (and Bangkok later on).
We did not want What Po beacuse it is not private, no a/c. It was very hot in Bangkok. I want to relax on my massage.

I want good shower before, and I wanted it without clothes.
Next time when I will want quick fix massage in clothes, I can do it in Bangkok in many places. This one was spa exerience, not just massage.
Did not want to do in the room too since I do not want to be massage in the hotel rooms's bed. Unless they bring their own table? Anyway, just my point. Wanted to do it in a good spa.
Part of 4 seasons experience.
JUst MO. To each it's own.

Nov 12th, 2004, 10:10 AM

CFW-When you call the Wat Pho School of Massage, they will ask whether you want a man or a woman. You can choose whichever makes you most comfortable. I've had massages from both. It's not a problem, there is no hint of sexual overtones. I always take a shower before getting a massage and wear loose clothes.
Nov 14th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Want to clarify something for all - Wat Po HAs an a/c massage room. I ahve posted about this before. They do not push it but if you insist they will walk you across the road to their a/c massage room which is also far less crowded than the massage room in the main Wat Pho grounds. I am not a huge fan of the Wat Pho massage and there are loads of places you can get a similar priced, equally good massage. I went to Wat Pho once for the experience. My fav reasonable i.e. 300 baht massage places are Ruen Nuad in Silmo next to BNH and my all time fav is Asia Spa in Central Chitlom building. Air conditioned, separate massage rooms, choice of treatments - and all for a very reasonable price. Great location as you can spend time shopping at Central Chitlom then go for a relaxing massage.
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Has anybody had a massage at either the Bua Spa, Divana or Bliss? Their web sites looked nice and they didn't seem that expensive. Will be in Bkk in April with 4 other friends and think it would be a good "bonding experience". Please let me know.