Wat Pho Massage

Jul 6th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Wat Pho Massage

Do people think I should go to Wat Pho to get the real experience or is it better to have someone come to my hotel room and give me a massage there? Is Wat Pho one big public massage room? Is it clean? Also, is there a specific treatment/massage anyone can recommend getting? Thank you.
Jul 6th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Yes, it is one big, communal massage room. It is an experience once but we did not enjoy it that much and never went back. If you do go there ask them to take you to the a/c room - it is much more comfortable and less crowded than the one in the midst of the temple complex. About a 5 min walk and soemone walks with you. Well worth the effort. We really enjoyed the hot stone massage.
Jul 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM

Yes it is in a communal room with several masseuses and is clean. I enjoyed it and wished I had opted for an hour rather than half an hour. Not sure how it compares with a hotel room massage but there would certainly be a cost difference I imagine.
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:10 AM

My own experience with Wat Pho was on my first day in BKK, first time there. I sprained my ankle on an uneven sidewalk (OUCH) and went for a one hour foot massage. WOW!!! It hurt like H*** but after an hour, I could have danced out the door.

I have also had foot massage at MBK after a long day of shopping. Not quite the same, but still comforting.
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:33 AM

one big advantage to having them in your room is the a/c...no a/c in the wat itself
Jul 7th, 2005, 09:14 AM

When in Bangkok I visit Wat Po at almost every opportunity. The massages are superior to any I have had in hotels and are 1/5th of the price! definitely go for the 90 mins, personally, I would pay extra for aircon as ther are fans and it is reasonably cool (plus you will immediatel step out into the heat anyway).
Jul 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I love getting a massage at Wat Po. There is something about the warmth and subdued noises in the background (fans whirring, soft Thai voices) that is very soothing to me. Plus, for $7 what better way could you spend 90 minutes?

We had them come to our room as well ($15/90 minutes). It was quite nice too, but is a little awkward having strangers in your hotel room.

The best, though, is to go to a spa in Bangkok. This will cost a bit more, but you can choose from other spa treatments rather than just a massage.
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Note that at Wat Po, you don't have a selection of treatments - it's all massage. A spa will give you a selection of treatments. Yes, it will certainly be more expensive than Wat Po, but it will be private and in air-conditioned comfort and luxury.

Yes, do try out Wat Po, but also go to a spa.
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

In terms of a selection of treatments, people make it sound like you have a selection of massage treatments (ie. hot stone massage, hour massage, foot massage etc...). I assume than in terms of that I get a selection.
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Another question - which spas would you recommend in Bangkok and Chiang Mai? In Koh Samui I am staying at Tamarind Retreat which seems to have a good spa, so hopefully I will be covered there (unless anyone has any other recommendations). Thanks again.
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Your choices at Wat Po are how long you want the massage (anywhere from 30 mintes to an hour and a half) and whether you want a whole body massage or just a foot and leg massage. They do NOT have other treatments such as aromatherapy massage, hot stone massage, body scrubs, facials, etc.
Jul 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM

one caution about spas...they sometimes "dumb down" the Thai massage for westerners...i.e. make them less intense. This happened to me at the Sheraton. So if you want the real thing, Wat Po is great.
Jul 7th, 2005, 12:42 PM

hi rr229
wat pho is good and you are right there is a big room. it is clean and you can get the real experience.
Jul 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Jim, spas typically offer many kinds of massage. Thai massage is only one kind. Any massage therapist should ask you about the amount of pressure (intensity) you want. If they don't ask - tell them.
Jul 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Kathie: I was very specific. The therapist was (in my opinion) more used to providing beauty treatments than true Thai massage. Hence my suggestion to be careful in big hotel spas.
Jul 7th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I've had many Thai massages at hotels in Thailand and I have been pulled, pushed and pummeled to death! A good massage therapist will not dumb down the massage unless you want them to. The best I've had was at the Dusit in Chiang Rai ($10 for 90 minutes a few years ago). The worst was at the Amari Watergate Hotel in BKK on my first trip to BKK. I swear the woman was a dominatrix by night because she way too rough! I ended it after about 45 minutes because she hurt me so much. For about four months, I couldn't turn my head to very far the right!!
Jul 7th, 2005, 02:31 PM

I also had a great massage at the Dusit in Chiang Rai.
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:39 AM

The answer to your original question depends on whether you are primarily interested in the physical sensations of a massage or you're looking for ambiance. I'm only interested in the physical sensation, I've had plenty of atmosphere to last a lifetime. We always get the Wat Pho masseurs to come to our hotel room. In addition to being able to control the temperature and shower soon thereafter, it makes for much easier scheduling. They have always been exactly on time. If you choose to go this route and enjoy the massage, you can make arrangements for them to return.

If you're going to Chiang Mai, the Massage Center in the basement of the Royal Princess is very good. You'll have to make reservations, but you can probably do this the same day.

Whatever you choose, Thai massage is wonderful and envigorating. A perfect antidote to jet lag.
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:55 AM

rr229, in Bangkok for a basic. no fuss massage in a great setting go to Ruen Nuad, in Silom opposite Bangkok National Hospital. 1 hour of Thai massage in an a/c bamboo lined room, 350 baht - well worth every penny.
Jul 8th, 2005, 06:13 AM

I've had several massages in Thailand -- if you have knee or hip problems, the massage might make it worse. Some are definitely deep and vigorous and the 'real' experience can be painful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO