Search

Thai Massage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 06:14 AM
Shari

Thai Massage

I am interested in having a theraputic Thai Massage while in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, even though I will only be in each city for a few days. Any suggestions on where to go?

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 10:28 PM
Glen

Hi there! <BR> <BR>If you visit any of the major tourist spots in Bangkok, you're almost certain to be offered a traditional Thai (therapeutic) massage. I've had one and it was one of the most excrutiatingly painful massages I have ever had. Be cautious, particularly if you have any kind of neck or back condition. Many of the larger hotels in Bangkok offer therapeutic massage services and some now even boast luxurious health spas. Enjoy!!

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 04:51 AM
David

Shari, <BR> <BR>In Bangkok, the Oriental Hotel has a health spa which is very good. I've also had great massages at the Banyan Tree spa in the Westin Banyan Tree hotel. Enjoy!

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 11:08 AM
Tom

Try the Wat Po (sp?) which is within walking distance of the Grand Palace. There is a Thai massage school on the grounds and an open air massage parlour in the back of the Wat. I went on the recommendation of a U.S. massage therapist and loved it, mostly when it was over. As I understand it (from reading a guide book later), this is one of the most tradional places to get a message in Bangkok (you'll see local and tourists alike). I was there last year and it was thorough, unusual, inexpensive, painful (occasionally) and legitimate.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 11:09 AM
Tom

Try the Wat Po (sp?) which is within walking distance of the Grand Palace. There is a Thai massage school on the grounds and an open air massage parlour in the back of the Wat. I went on the recommendation of a U.S. massage therapist and loved it, mostly when it was over. As I understand it (from reading a guide book later), this is one of the most tradional places to get a message in Bangkok (you'll see local and tourists alike). I was there last year and it was thorough, unusual, inexpensive, painful (occasionally) and legitimate.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 12:09 PM
owen

The massage school on the grounds of the Grand Palace will do hotel calls. Not inexpensive, but legit., and painful. Very authentic. interesting that the massage school and medical school were on these grounds.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:41 PM
carole

I had three massages whilst in thailand recently and I didn't find any of them painful - maybe i'm just a masochist on the side <BR>The first massage I had was at the oriental spa and was called the jetlag massage. Both my daughter and I went together and were asked if we wanted a double room or seperate rooms but we decided to share a room. What a wonderful experience! Both masseuses worked totally in sync with each other and they used lots of oils and played very soothing music at the same time. It was expensive - but worth every penny. In fact, my daughter (25) loved it so much that she wouldn't have any more massages during the holiday for fear of spoiling the experience! <BR>The next massage I had was in my hotel room in chiang mai which was okay but nothing very special. However my husband had one and really like it. <BR>I then had another massage on the beach on Koh Samui which was a fraction of the cost of the first massage but pretty damn good none the less. <BR>I have suffered with back trouble for the past three years and attend and osteopath every so often so wondered if I was being a big stupid to risk it but each time I just asked the masseur not to touch my lower back and each time they asked me to say if anything was uncomfortable - which it wasn't. A great experience.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:43 PM
carole

I had three massages whilst in thailand recently and I didn't find any of them painful - maybe i'm just a masochist on the side <BR>The first massage I had was at the oriental spa and was called the jetlag massage. Both my daughter and I went together and were asked if we wanted a double room or seperate rooms but we decided to share a room. What a wonderful experience! Both masseuses worked totally in sync with each other and they used lots of oils and played very soothing music at the same time. It was expensive - but worth every penny. In fact, my daughter (25) loved it so much that she wouldn't have any more massages during the holiday for fear of spoiling the experience! <BR>The next massage I had was in my hotel room in chiang mai which was okay but nothing very special. However my husband had one and really like it. <BR>I then had another massage on the beach on Koh Samui which was a fraction of the cost of the first massage but pretty damn good none the less. <BR>I have suffered with back trouble for the past three years and attend and osteopath every so often so wondered if I was being a big stupid to risk it but each time I just asked the masseur not to touch my lower back and each time they asked me to say if anything was uncomfortable - which it wasn't. A great experience.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:46 PM
carole

Oops~! sorry I didn't think the first posting had gone okay. Don't want to bore everyone twice!