Reload this Page >

HONG Kong with children

Search

HONG Kong with children

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 07:32 AM
NADINE

HONG Kong with children

We are spending three days in HK and taking our children who are 4 and 11. We had some ideas about keeping them amused and keeping ourselves sane but we would like to see more than the hotel swimming pool. Any suggestions? Restaruants? Would any of the following be appropriate/inappropriate- high tea at the Peninusul, night races, The peak? Karroake where they have little family booths? Where do the locals take their kids?

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 10:17 AM
dan woodlief

At the least your kids would enjoy: rides on the Star Ferry, beaches on the far side of Hong Kong Island, Victoria Peak, buying those little stampers (can't remember the name of them) with the Chinese representation of their names, sampan rides in Aberdeen (this is the area near the floating restaurants where many traditional house boats are parked-don't know whether you can get life jackets), and seeing traditional Chinese medicine shops and shopping for kites. Hong Kong also has a big science museum. Sitting out at the harbour watching the ships would probably be good too, as well as dim sum meals. There was a Haagen Daaz ice cream shop at the shopping center on Victoria Peak when I was there five years ago - good for a kids' and adults' snack.

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 07:35 PM
Ricky

You can go to the Movenpick Marche Restaurant at the Peak Tower with an excellent view.

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 07:39 AM
Rick

Those "little stampers" are called "Chops". My kids loved them. You get their names carved in Chinese on a stone stamper that you dip in solid ink and then transfer onto paper. They are sold at various places, Stanley Park, night markets and even side streets and alleys.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 01:18 AM
Michael

You could also try Ocean Park (Killer Whales, dolphins, amusement rides etc) <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 08:34 AM
Lincoln

Liked what Michael suggested, Ocean Park is a nice place. They just received a pair of panda bears from China. Kids should love them.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 05:38 AM
Elizabeth

The Star Ferry is wonderful, especially on the lower deck (second class). The harbor is always busy and there's lots to see. The Peak Tram is fun, as is the free open-top tourist bus that goes from the Star Ferry to the Peak Tram. The view from the Peak, on a clear night, is exquisitely beautiful, even for jaded travelers. <BR>Bus 1A from Kowloon-side Star Ferry terminus is a wonderful ride. Sit in the front seats, top deck, on a UN-air-conditioned bus with the windows open at night. The bus goes straight down Nathan Road. The neon lights, crowds, heat....My kids love it. We take this "ride" a lot! The bus route ends in a huge public housing estate. Nothing but apartment lights. You might want to get off at the St. Elizabeth stop and walk up to Prince Edward Road, cross the street to the right and get bus 1 or 1A back towards the Star Ferry. Or turn left and take the MTR back. <BR>The Hong Kong Tourist Association runs a Family Insight Tour once a week. Your family can visit a typical Hong Kong flat: 300 square feet, five people, no windows. More than half the people in HK live in government housing. My children, 11 and 13, were amazed. <BR>Hong Kong DolphinWatch runs a tour to see the Pink Dolphin. On our tour, the dolphins came right up to the boat. The bonus is seeing the new airport from the water and watching planes land. <BR>Ocean Park is great and children get free admission with an adult. Along with the typical rollercoasters (this one hangs off the edge of a cliff--none of us were brave enough), there's the Middle Kingdom area with traditional Chinese arts and craft demos and displays from different dynasties, a cable car ride,a goldfish pagoda, aquarium show, panda bears and an inexpensive (for HK) buffet. <BR>The Western District of HK Island is a great area to walk around. The dried seafood, funeral supply stores, herbal medicine shops and the world's longest escalator are all here. <BR>The Jade Market can be fun since there's lots of cheap trinkets to be sorted through. My daughter has designed jewelry and had her designs made to order. <BR>There's a wet market and the Reclamation Street market nearby. These are not for the squeamish, faint-hearted or vegetarians. Frogs get their legs cut off, fish are fileted alive, shrimp crawl around with price tags on their behinds, animal body parts hang on hooks. <BR>HK Science Museum is fun, but I wouldn't bother unless it's just pouring outside as there are too many more interesting things to do. <BR>I don't like the beaches. They're often closed because of the pollution. Cholera! Besides that, there's glass and dog poop. Stay in the hotel pool and avoid the risks. I've only let my children swim at the beaches in the outlying islands. <BR>Eating out here is atrociously expensive. Don't discount McDonald's. It's familiar and cheaper than in Europe or the US. The noodle shops are cheap, our favorite is on Stanley Steet near the Escalator. <BR>High Tea at the Peninsula is a must-do. I wouldn't order for the children, though, just let them have tea or another drink. The lobby is the thing to see. My children enjoyed it, but they wouldn't want to do it again. <BR>The City Hall Restaurant is reasonable and the dim sum is great. Sit at a table near the center where you'll see the trolleys. <BR>I'd also consider taking the ferry Cheung Chau island. Rent bikes (there are no cars on the island), take a water taxi around the junks, see a temple, eat at an seafood restaurant. <BR>We've never gone to a karaoke bar or to the races. <BR>My favorite guide book is Frommer's Hong Kong, 5th edition. When they came out with this edition in February I had it FedEx'd to us. I think I have all the guides and I think it's the best, especially with ideas for kids. <BR>