Temple Guide in Siem Reap?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - now that we have our hotels finalized, I am seeking advice on whether we need to hire a guide or car in Siem Reap. We are there for three days, and want to see as much of the temples as possible. Does anyone have any good recommendations for cars/drivers? Do we need to fix this up in advance or can we do it when we get there? Should we do it through our hotel (we are staying at the Victoria), or try to find cheaper, independent people? Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:11 AM

You will need a guide, car and driver. The distances between sights are far enough that you need transportation. Of course you can rent a bicycle, but the weather is hot and hotter. Car, driver and guide seem to be the package tourists are expected to get. I do not think the price would be much cheaper if you did your own hiring rather than going thru hotel. You are a tourist and expected to pay tourist prices. Some guides have been recommended on this board. Do a search. Most of the guides give the same info.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:13 AM

You will definitely need a car and driver. Going rate is US$20-25 a day. Your hotel can help you find one.

People have different preferences about whether to use a guide. Some people swear by it, others are clear they don't want a guide. I wanted to experience the temples without someone chattering in my ear. I had done lots of reading and research before my trip and took along Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor, and that arrangement was perfect for me. The cost of a guide is about US$20 a day. Your hotel can arrange, or many people on this site have used Ponheary Ly. Do a search and you'll find her contact info.

The prices won't be much different if you find someone yourself. I liked knowing that I had a driver my hotel had recommended and others had good experiences with.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - very helpful information!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Hiring a guide used to be a prerequisite in the more dangerous days past, but are now of questionable value. Typically, your guide book will be more valuable than an actual guide at the temples, the quality being pretty low overall. A car (or renting scooters/bikes) is a must - it's six miles just to the entry and you'll be hot, tired and sweaty after hours of walking the temples.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:13 AM

We used a guide and thought he added a great deal to the experience. There was stuff we would have simply missed or not realized the significance of with out him. We used a guy called Ta, e-mail him on [email protected]. He will come with a driver. US$20 per day for each of them is standard. The temple pass for 3 days is another US$40. I would say fix your guide in advance. In that case u do not need to ask your hotel for a pick up as it will be included in his $20 for the first day.