First trip to BKK - your top 3 cities?

May 5th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

First trip to BKK - your top 3 cities?

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary by visiting Thailand in mid-October. Not the ideal time weatherwise, from what I've read, but we'd rather deal with weather than crowds. We're planning a stopover in the Kuala Lumpur area for maybe 2 or 3 days (we only have 2 weeks).

I'd love to hear suggestions on places to stay and things to do in Malaysia, and the top three cities to stay in Thailand.

Also, am I guessing wrong about the weather? We're from south Florida, so thunderstorms and small floods don't generally bother us, nor does hot humid weather. But tourists and crowds do (go figure).

Thanks for your help! What a great site!
May 5th, 2004, 01:14 PM

I think you should be ok in mid October..the worst of the rainy season should be over.You should see Bangkok and Chiang Mai and leave some time for seeing some of the countryside and/or a beach/island place. Have fun and happy anniversary!
May 5th, 2004, 07:15 PM

its not florida weather in oct, but maybe more like some days in fla in july...

the weather by mid october will be ok...we found in 2002 that in the afternoon it clouded up and there was even some rain, not much---no flooding--that had happened in september...so we swam in the AM and then went out sightseeing and shopping in PM--that's for BKK...we had no rain or clouds in hua hin at all that trip...

thailand falls into three sections in my mind: bangkok; norhtern thailand (chiang mai and chiang rai areas) and the islands and southern resorts...

i love bkk and suggest that you plan to spend time there at the beginning and at the end of your thailand time...if you only have 14 days and already have been in malaysia then your time is limited...
i might suggest that 3 days maximum in K/L is plenty--two is ok too...if you are coming from the usa then day one is a total waste as you need to adjust to time, jet lague and heat, so two additional days might be nice...you could then fly to langkawi for a couple of days...we like the sheraton resort there...from there you might have to fly to K/L and then north to BKK or you might get a direct thailand flight, maybe to bkk or to koh samui or phuket, from which you could get to bkk...i would plan on 4-5 days in bkk...we like the marriott resort and spa on the river or the peninsula...the river hotels are the best for tourists in my opinion...

that will take care of you days, won't it?? can you fly home from bkk??
May 6th, 2004, 03:48 AM

My picks in Malaysia would be Penang and the Perhentian islands - but neither are exactly "quick visit" sort of places - well maybe Penang is, as you can fly in. While in KL - there's a big park SW of the inner city with a lovely bird and butterfly enclosures. I also really rated the Islamic Museum (could be called Museum of Islamic Art/Cultue/Life - can't remember exactly).

For Thailand - well all will say BKK and Chang Gan
May 6th, 2004, 03:54 AM

My picks in Malaysia would be Penang and the Perhentian islands - but neither are exactly "quick visit" sort of places - well maybe Penang is, as you can fly in. While in KL - there's a big park SW of the inner city with lovely bird and butterfly enclosures. I also really rated the Islamic Museum (could be called Museum of Islamic Art/Cultue/Life - can't remember exactly).

For Thailand - well all will say BKK and Chang Mai. And on a short trip that's about right. You might also consider a trip to Kanchanaburi for the opportunity to experience a more ordinary sort of Thai town (but not really ordinary as it too gets its fair share of visitors). Still it's pretty laid back and on the River Kwai - and if you are interested in history there is a museum, and the cemetery, and you can take a day trip to see the bridge (and visit a village, and take an elephant ride) if you like.
May 6th, 2004, 04:56 AM

If you want a lovely beach spot in Malaysia that you can get to quickly, I'd suggest Kuantan. I'd only give KL a couple of days. Bangkok is worth much more time than KL, it's a lively and fascinating city with lots to see. Persoanlly, I'd recommend against Chiang Mai, it's just a large city that is located in northern Thailand. I'd suggest visitng the Golden Triangle are of Thailand for a non-city experience (the Anantara Golden Triangle is a wonderful resort!). Four places in two weeks is more than I'd normally recommend. You may want to cut one of those places.
May 6th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Hi

I have been to Thailand a couple of times in September and I don't think that the weather is a big problem. Sure you will get some rain but does it really matter that much. And in the end of 2002 we stayed in Bangkok for 5 days and we didn't get any rain at all.

On our trips we have been to Hua Hin, Samui, Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi (Ao Nang) etc. I have posted pictures and trip reports from our trips on my homepage gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there...and if not get in touch and I'll do my best to help.

My wife and I went to Florida a few years back and we had a great time there too

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
May 6th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I just looked at the Anantara resort web site -- beautiful! I can't wait to get to Asia. OK, so I figure we'll do Northern Thailand, Bangkok, and a beach--either Hua Hin, Koh Samui, or Phuket (how am I supposed to choose?!) and then somewhere in Malaysia.

Should we do our Malaysia stopover on the way to or from Thailand?

Thank you all for your help!
May 6th, 2004, 07:21 PM

i am unclear about your transportation requirements....must you go thru K/L in both directions?? if so i would have two days at the beginning and one at the end...

you might contact www.seatoursthai.com to help you with airfares in asia...i have been very pleased with them for my upcoming trip...they are an american express agency located in bkk....3 days at the anantara or maybe four would be nice near the end of the trip---complete relaxation with limited sighseeing....
you might be content with K/L, Bkk and with anantara and save beach for another time....you will be back!!!
May 6th, 2004, 07:22 PM

watch for my trip report after june 20 on this board....it will have a section on the anantara
May 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM

I've visited Thailand multiple times and the last time was in October 2001 for our honeymoon. We were there for two weeks and only had one day of rain! I would highly recommend Krabi for a beach destination. It's not as touristy as Koh Samui or Phuket and still has a nice laid back feel. And for only $15-20 for the entire day, rent a long boat with driver to take you out to the islands and snorkelng. Or if you scuba dive, sign up for a two tank dive. Half a day of sea kayaking is also fun. I lived in Florida for 10 years and would have to agree the weather is similar to Florida summers- hot and humid(sticky).

You can view the photos of our trip posted at my husbands website www.slrobertson.com.

Happy travels!
Jun 9th, 2004, 02:36 PM

My wife and I are also going to Thailand in October (2nd - 16th). We orginally wanted to avoid the rainy season as we had rain the last time we visted Phuket.

I have two suggestions for you...

1) Consider Angkor Wat in Cambodia!
2) I can't advise you enough to consider your stop over on the beginnig of your trip. By the end you are tired and ready to go home and a stop-over can become more work than its worth.

Have fun.
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Top three cities? I thought there were only three total (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Chiang Rai)? I would recommend a split of time between Bangkok, a Thai beach (so many good ones), and yes, that 45-minute flight to Angkor. Mising Angko would be like going to Cairo and missing teh pyramids. Penang was wonderful as well.
Jun 10th, 2004, 04:06 AM

What is your ideal kind of holiday? If it is culture and sightseeing then Angkor Wat is a must. 3 days is minimum. Will be hectic. Entaiuls ealry morning starts and days spent eploring fascinating ruins of many century old Hindu temples. Otherwise u can consider Bkk, the Anantara and maybe Hua Hin. One advantage of Hua Hin is it is a 2.5 hr drive from Bkk - which net net is the same as a 1 hour flight anywhere else when you factor in airport transfers, check in time, etc. Hua Hin has a lovely spa resort Chiva SOm if you want to splurge. The Sofitel has a lovely colonial feel. There is also an Anantara.
Jun 10th, 2004, 11:18 AM

I would recommend staying at the Ritz Carlton in KL. Very cozy and good location. Check out the website and you'll see the In'spa'ration package includes a massage, in-room breakfast, free laundry, butler service... My husband and I stayed there for our anniversary and they took good care of us. We saved KL as the last leg of our trip so all of our laundry was done before we returned home. How nice is that? For just RM430++ per night (around US$114++) it was well worth it. We felt relaxed and well rested before going back home to the daily grind.