Temple Animals in Southeast Asia - A Photographic Journey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently returned from a trip to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Myanmar and one of the things I discovered was the incredible number of animals living in the temples there.

One reason is that when someone can't afford to care for a pet, there is no Humane Society, so they often take them to the temples where they know the monks and nuns will look after them. It's because The Buddha instructed his followers over 2,500 years ago to never harm fellow living beings.

I put together a slideshow of the animals and monks if you're interested. It's on youtube and is called "Temple Cat Morning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjMjbfSBEak

I also have a blog with 18 photos of what I found there.

http://templeanimals.blogspot.com/

I'd also be happy to try and answer any questions about the temples and the animals.

Cheers,
David
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 10:55 AM

Hi David, I watched your video after running across the link over on Thorntree. I enjoyed it very much, but wished that you hadn't included the Tiger Temple photos given the abuse of the tigers there.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie. I went back and forth on it and decided to include the photo partly because I liked it but also because I didn't personally see any abuse of the cats while I was there. Your point is well taken because there are some foreigners (who supposedly worked there a few years ago) and have claimed to have seen the abuse even though I didn't happen to.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 02:22 AM

Wonderful photos! I do love the feel of the video. I wish you luck on your photo project - you have a lot of talent!
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 06:48 PM

Sadly although Buddhism does suggest never harming living things it also suggests that suffering is purely a way to improve karma....so sadly all over Thailand in temples and elsewhere, animals with the most horrendous ailments and injuries are left to die a slow and painful death.