Taxis' from airports in SEA

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxis' from airports in SEA

Should I look for a meter on the taxi before agreeing to the transportation??
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM

You will be OK when you arrive in Bangkok. All taxis that pick up at the airport (as far as I know) have the meter. You might have to insist that the driver use it! I have only had one driver who did not want to use the meter, and he wanted 500 baht, flat rate, to get into the city. I knew that was too much. I could have/should have reported him.. but to whom? They give you a piece of paper, in Thai, that gives the driver your destination, whatever. Every driver, except one, has used the meter without my saying anything. You need to be ready with small bills for the tolls into the city.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:39 PM

In some places it is a flat rate from the airport to the city (Hanoi, for instance), other places you want them to use the meter (Bangkok, for instance). A fair number of airports have desks where you pay for a flat-rate taxi, and have signboards with flat rates to various places. Some places have no taxis with meters.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply!!
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 07:52 PM

agree on a price or use the meter...
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM

In Cambodia the taxis from the airports are a fixed amount. In Phnom Penh the cost is $9 US and in Siem Reap it is 7. In SR many hotels will pick you up at no charge
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Yes! always tell the driver to flag down the meter otherwise he will charge you high, and its so unpleasant. But there are some case also depending on location as they will insist you to pay one way.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:15 AM

i agree with rhkkmk, it is better to have always an other way round, either fix the price before setting on or the meter strategy must be on your top preferences
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:26 AM

From Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok, taxis are regulated if you get one from the Public Taxi desks. First floor, two locations, near the sidewalk. These taxis are inspected, registered, and supposed to be newer models. You go to the desk, tell the clerk where you want to go, the clerk or a helper tells the driver where to go in Thai. These taxis are supposed to use the meter. You get a slip that identifies the driver and gives you a place to report any problem drivers.

The cost for this service from the airport is meter fare to your hotel, surcharge of 50 baht and any toll charges. Usually toll 2 toll charges coming to 70 baht. You pay the meter fare at the hotel plus add the 50 baht surcharge to it. Tolls you pay during the ride. Have small bills and coins for taking taxis in Bangkok. Do not expect a taxi driver to cash a 500 baht note. Many fares from the airport to hotels in the city come to around 320 - 400 baht for everything - tolls and surcharge included!
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

There are thousands of taxis in Bangkok. There is no reason to bargain the cost of any ride. Meter is cheaper! If a taxi driver wants to bargain the cost of the ride you pay more and he probably already sized you up as easy! Before you get in a taxi tell the driver to use the meter. When he says okay or nods then get in. If he says "how much you pay" you get another one of the hundreds of taxis cruising by. If you are staying at an expensive hotel (anything over $50 US) wave a moving taxi over and avoid parked taxis. Usually parked taxis at hotels and bus stations want to bargain and when you bargain you pay more. The meter fare you pay is for everyone in the taxi not per person! (Tuk-tuks cost more than meter taxis and are involved in scams every now and then.)

Bangkok has excellent rail service. From the airport, between 6 a.m. and midnight, you also have the Airport Rail Link. For 45 baht, using the City Line, you can take the train into the Pratunam area. From the last two stops, Ratchaprorop and Phaya Thai, there are hotels you can walk to. At Phaya Thai you can connect to the Skytrain. The Skytrain or even the subway can bring you close to many hotels in Bangkok. My only complaint (other than some crowding during rush hour) is that the rail service from the airport stops at midnight.
http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

Up to you.