Airport to Hotel Transfer, Bangkok

Jun 26th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Airport to Hotel Transfer, Bangkok

First time to Thailand. Will be arriving from Hong Kong, so not a long flight or jet lag.
Anyone have suggestions on the most convenient, yet not overly-priced, means for two people to get from the international airport to our Bangkok hotel (the Shangri-la). Hotel is offering private transfer for 2900 baht, which sounds overpriced for us. I'm always nervous about the honesty of random taxi drivers. Even in cities like Tel Aviv or Barcelona with an agent at the curb putting us in a taxi, it seems the drivers pretend they don't understand English and the fee they want at the end is higher than the agent quoted. I usually prefer a train to avoid traffic, if there is one. but we are in our 60's so don't want to drag our luggage through subway or skytrain transfers or land blocks way from the hotel or struggle to find a taxi at the train station to finish our journey to the hotel. I'm comfortable with anything under $60. What we really dislike are shuttle buses that make us sit through interminable drops at other hotels. Haven't found anything on the internet about what approx taxi fare would be.
Jun 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Thanks to folks here, when I was in Bangkok earlier this month I simply went outside to the taxi queue and took one. I arrived twice, once around midnight and once around 1100, and there were no lines. IIR the fixed fare to my Sukhumvit ("downtown") hotel was 450 baht each time.
Jun 26th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Take a taxi. There is a taxi queue, the driver should turn on the meter. I've not had problems with taxi drivers in Bangkok, but if a driver doesn't turn on the meters, just get out of the taxi. In my 30 years of traveling to Bangkok, I've only gotten out of a taxi once because the driver didn't want to use the meter.

If you would prefer a private transfer, I use AAC Limo, about 1200 baht each way. More than a taxi and always less than hotel transfers. If you are interested, I'll look us their email.
Jun 26th, 2014, 09:42 AM

Used ACC last two trips to BKK in 2012. Very easy - - there are two counters, very well marked, one at baggage claim and one when you emerge into the main terminal area. You tell them where you want to go and pay there, they write it down on the receipt so the driver knows where to take you. Nice cars, too. I much prefer it to a taxi because there is a randomness to what kind of taxi you might get. It is worth the extra small amount of $$.
Jun 26th, 2014, 10:38 AM

AAC does not have a counter at the airport, but AOT does. AOT tends to be a littler higher priced, but you don't have to reserve ahead.
Jun 26th, 2014, 11:28 AM

I too have used AAC many times, I just prebook via email and never had any issues with them not being there.
Jun 26th, 2014, 11:47 AM

Sorry, was doing this from memory, I guess it must have been AOT. Thanks for the correction, Kathie. Didn't reserve this in advance.
Jun 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM

There are brand new crackdowns on taxi drivers, according to Richard Barrow tweets, so there should not be anymore problems with drivers at the airport trying to get more money or NOT use the meter. The 50 baht airport fee still applies.

I always just get in the taxi line. Only one time was the driver giving us a flat rate (500 baht) and we were too tired after traveling from USA to argue, plus we had suitcases on our laps in the back seat! We paid the 500.

Actually, it usually costs me around 300 plus tolls of 75 baht plus 50 baht airport fee, so 500 was not really an out of line price to pay. I always pay 600 for my return trip to the airport and my doorman books a mini-van taxi for me with more space. Nicer way to leave BKK. Especially when I've done a lot of shopping.... !
Jun 26th, 2014, 12:31 PM

AOT tends to be much higher in price---they are the official service owned by the airport.

I often use AAC..

taxis are very easy... follow overhead signs, go down a floor or two, exit to the sidewalk, get into the usually small line--it moves very fast, tell the English speaking starter you want to go to Shangri-La, a driver will be assigned. if taxi is an SUV the fare is more at a flat 700B, plus tolls of about 70B, but there is tons of room for you and your luggage... if a regular Toyota the fare should be 250-400B, plus tolls of about 70B. Best to get B ($$) as you are walking thru the lobby---you will need some 100 B notes or a 500B --- get change at a money changer in same area. Unlike HK no credit card usage in BKK taxis that I have seen. IF DRIVER IN SEDANS DOES NOT SWITCH ON METER AS YOU PULL AWAY JUST POINT AND SAY "METER". if he says flat fee and it is about 500, accept that but do not pay tolls.
THERE IS A 50B FEE YOU PAY THE DRIVER ALSO WHICH IS A FEE FROM THE AIRPORT... so meter price plus 50B.
if there is a problem the doorman at sh-la will assist you.

many drivers drive quite fast on the hiway, btw.

it is quite easy really.

no problem getting taxis from hotel to airport.
Jun 26th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Go to the Public Taxi desk on the ground floor of the terminal. You tell the person your destination-I showed my hotel voucher-and you will be given a estimated cost and a s;ip of white paper. Don't give this to the taxi driver because it has instructions on what to do in case of a problem. The dispatcher will give another part of the from to the taxi driver. Airport surcharge of 50 baht. You can opt to take the faster expressway and the tolls will be added or you pay them-60 and 40 for us. We stayed at the Bossotel which is on the same street as the Shangri-la, about 3 minutes walk from our place. My cost taxi from airport to hotel using expressway was 660 baht for a large van type the first time on Jan. 29, 2014. Cost the second time on March 10, 2014 was 250 plus tolls of 60 and 40 in a regular car taxi.
Jun 26th, 2014, 10:00 PM

For the answers to a whole string of Bangkok related questions that you'll probably never think of ever asking, look at the FAQs at the right-hand side of the attached...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowFor...7-Bangkok.html

I don't know why people do any adrenalin-rush activities in Thailand, as a taxi from the BKK airport to downtown is plenty for me!
Jun 28th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to you all. This is most helpful
Jun 29th, 2014, 06:22 AM

2900 baht lol. Taxi 400 baht. They even have a desk that tells drivers where to go.
Jun 29th, 2014, 07:21 AM

2900 B is not out of line for a lux hotel car with a meet and greet
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Yes it is. 800 baht is more like it for a hotel car. 2900 is a complete rip off. 2900 would buy 3 day tours.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:33 AM

You obviously don't stay at luxe hotels, Prachaup. When you do, come back and tell us what their rate is for airport pick-up.

Personally, I'd rather use a car service like AAC rather than a hotel car (if I opt not to use a taxi), but I have been quoted similar prices by 5 star hotels in Bangkok for airport pick-up.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:37 AM

I was quoted 800 baht.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:48 AM

1375 baht for a mercedes and 900 baht for a more standard car. Current prices.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:55 AM

From what hotel, Prachuap were you quoted 800 baht?

And the 1375 baht for a Mercedes was from what hotel? And the 900 baht for a "standard car" what was the standard car and what was the hotel?

I'm not interested in arguing with you, Prachaup, but you obviously have no experience with this. The OP got a direct quote from the Shangri-La. While I wouldn't pay it, the OP isn't wrong about the quote.
Jun 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM

You love arguing though. 2900 baht is a rip off from any hotel. Its the car ride one is paying for.

Shangri la only costs $200 a night yet they want nearly $100 for a ride? Totally out of line with local prices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO