Tailor - how much time?

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailor - how much time?

First of all thanks so much for all the posts on tailors in Bangkok. That was really helpful.

My question now is how much time to allow for the tailoring to get a good quality suit? I know tailors say usually they only need to have one fitting - especially if it's tourists asking. But we found that it needed at least three to get the quality we wanted. But I cannot remember how much time we allowed inbetween the fittings the last time we went.

We will fly into Bangkok, spend a couple of days there (how many depends on this tailor issue), spend a week on the beach, come back to Bangkok for a day or so, travel some more and finally spend again a couple of days in Bangkok before flying back home. So really the question is: after measuring and picking out fabrics, how much time until the first fitting? And then: How much time between first and second fitting? Is that when they need the most time?

Any advice is very welcome.

Cheers from Switzerland
Wanderratte
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:16 AM

I agree that you need three fittings. I'd say a minimum amount of time would be three days, but you are better off with four.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:30 AM

You should start the process on your first trip. Have an initial fitting if possible before you go to the beach. When you return to Bangkok have your second fitting and a final fitting when you come back for the last time.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:33 AM

i think your timing is perfect...you are doing it just the way i do it...go to the tailor immediately upon arrival and start the process....know what you want before you go....bring a sample if you have a style you really like...some tailors have pictures...

fitting largely depends on your shape...i am round and it requires more fittings....on average i tend to be fitted about 4-5 times for the best fit ever...it allows lots of tweaking of little things....many tailors with have your firts fitting in 24-48 hours after ordering assuming the fabric is available which it is almost always.....

may i suggest to you the tailor that i have been most happy with...

jack at monet il sarto in the plaza behind the marriott resort and spa...he is on the 2nd floor overlooking the parking lot near the street....he is excellent and his prices are fair....the most recent sports jacket i had him do for me is the best ever fit i have gotten anywhere....his english is excellent...

they have a website as well...
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM

In terms of tailors -- my suggestion is to go to someone near where you are staying. There are many excellent tailors in Bangkok and it seems like a waste of time and effort to have to run all over the city for a fitting. Where are you staying?

I also often have more than 3 fittings. It's the fine tuning that makes the stuff so special and you can't do that in a short time. But by doing it the way we've suggested you will get a perfect product without a lot of pressure for anyone.

It also gives you the time to see something that has been made and love it so much you have them make it in other fabrics -- something I've done many times.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with glorialf, find a tailor near your hotel. The first time I had a suit made, I had to travel to the tailor and with BKK traffic being what it is, what should have been a twenty minute trip took over an hour. Every time I had to go for a fitting, I thought my husband was going to divorce me ;-) The second time, I went to a tailor in the shopping complex at the Shangri-La, where I was staying. It was so much more pleasant and stress free not having to waste all that time.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful adivce.

We are not sure yet where we will stay and whether we will stay in the same hotel for each of the stays. The question is really, whether we want to take a splurge (The Peninsula) or not (Royal River). I'll ask for your advice again, once we have decided.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you haven't asked yet, but I'll give you my thoughts anyway. Definitely the Penn. My husband and I agree it's the best hotel in the world, and many polls suggest others feel the same way. It's more than worth the splurge, especially considering that a hotel of that caliber in most of the world would caost two to three times as much.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:54 AM

There are other options that are cheaper than the Penn, still on the river and better than Royal River. You can consider the Royal Orchid which I feel has a perfect location or the Marriott which is farther away but by all accounts a wonderful resort hotel.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:55 AM

There are other options that are cheaper than the Penn, still on the river and better than Royal River. You can consider the Royal Orchid which I feel has a perfect location and is a stone's throw from fabulous tailors or the Marriott which is farther away and a bit more isoltate but by all accounts a wonderful resort hotel.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:16 AM

that is a huge difference--pen to RR..i am staying at RR for 4 nites as part of my N/W package...have been there before...it is basic but decent...pool stinks....

may i suggest the marriott resort and spa...not as expensive as sheraton or the others and just as nice...slightly removed but better transportation alternatives than the RR...

use www.huahin.20m.com for all inslusive reservations....i use it for all my thai res for this trip with great savings...