Swimming pools -Vietmam, Cambodia & Bkk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure all the hotel pools are beautiful for lounging but how about for lap swimming? In Hanoi I will have an 80 meter pool but is any one familiar with pools at the Heritage Halong, Furama Resort Danang, Saigon-Morin in Hue or the Sofitel Plaza in Saigon? Also the Sofitel Royal Angkor and the Shangr-La in BKK? I'm trying to pack light but my goggles and waterproof case for my mp3 player are necessary if I'll have the chance to do some serious swimming.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM

The pool at Saigon Morin is not a lap pool and was used for lolling around when we swam there in July 2003. The pool at the Sofitel Royal Angkor is enormous and you could do laps easily, avoiding lollers, of course. The two pools at the Shangri-La could be used for laps. I think you'd need to be there early morning or late evenings. You sound like a serious swimmer!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Lyndie. I need to swim as much as I need chocolate - which is daily. Swimming is therapy for my back especially after a long day of work or touring. I can't relax by the pool - I must be in the pool!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM

i have to be honest....from my experience the people who swim laps are rude and do not belong in hotel pools except at the end of the day and early in the morning...\

i ahve seen them bang into children and older people and have little regard for the general swimmer ....i keep my eyes open for them all the time....

the worst are the japanese and korean who seem to feel that they are in a private pool and swim lap after lap for hours sometimes....good exercise but others have rights as well....

i put them in the same class with the nazi bicycle people we deal with daily around boston who choose to rush around and ignor all traffic rules and signals...if you beep at them they give you the finger and yell F... O..
nice people...
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Hi mileaday, my partner says "there's always the river". Just joking. No offence intended!!! One needs to spell out when one's joking, on this board.

And we think you may need a frogman's outfit if you swim in the Perfume River in Hue or the Chao Praya in Bangers.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 02:05 AM

mileaday, I know Lyndie well and believe me, she's just joking when she says she's just joking. I found the lake in Hanoi, the Perfume River in Hue and the Saigon river perfectly adequate. I can't recommend them highly enough. At Ha Long Bay, of course, you don't need a pool either - racing the junks in the bay is great fun!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Neil, are you joking? Sometimes I just can't tell.