Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Suzhou Pan Pacific Hotel--Clothing optional????

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to book at the Pan Pacific but on numerous online booking sites a note comes up saying that this hotel is clothing optional. This seems like a wacky translation error that no one has bothered to fix, since the hotel is a major business center. But, since I am going with my teenage son in a few days, I thought I should confirm that this hotel is NOT clothing optional (except maybe at the pool!). Thanks
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:17 AM

Oh no, it's not an error. Just inside the main door is a cubicle where you'll be requested to disrobe, from then on it's an 'au naturel' venue. A great many of the hotels in the Pan Pacific chain are clothing optional these days - I'm surprised this is news to you.

My recent stay in the Bangkok Pan Pacific was full of surprises. Who would have thought that sweet little General Manager was not so sweet and little after all? I'd encourage you to try out this latest hospitality trend. Breakfast can be great fun, although one does have to be careful when approaching the hot food at the buffet.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:30 AM

And don't forget the notorious leather sofas at most Pan Pacific. Sitting on them butt naked is a bit.....

dogster,

Your "guest of the month" picture at the Bangkok Pan Pacific still hang proudly in the lobby.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:58 AM

Yes, it's quite a display, isn't it?

http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/201...de-Groot-1.jpg

let's hope we see slcmama's picture up there soon.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you so much! Plus, it's about time my son got used to seeing the secret sights of China--the first time he saw a woman sunbathing topless in Mexico he asked me to call the police.

What would I do without the veteran travelers on this forum?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM

lol slc. Glad we could be of help.

I'm very much looking forward to the trip report - AND the photos.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM

You guys are kidding, aren't you? I stayed at the Pan Pacific in Singapore last year. I can't imagine it being "clothing optional".
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM

Come now, have you no imagination? ;-)
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM

The Singapore Pan Pacific is the exception. As you know, the Singapore Government are very [how can I say this...] <i>correct</i> and, along with chewing gum and litter, they banned ALL nudity, public and private. As I'm sure you know, you need a licence to even remove your clothes at home now in Singapore - so that's probably why.

I hope you're not disappointed.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM

Well, I am stunned by this revelation. And I insist that their ad definitely IS a major translation error and totally misleading. How dare they call it clothing optional when they REQUIRE you to disrobe and participate fully nude?
Of course the best thing about staying at all Pan Pacific hotels is that you never have to worry about the high cost of laundry while traveling, and there is no reason to be overweight on your luggage. In fact a simple carryon should suffice for even a three month trip when you don't wear clothes!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM

We stayed at the Pan Pacific in Whistler, British Columbia this past winter, the sans clothing trend was similar, however, they did make an exception and let guests wear wool socks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM

If I read it on fodors.com, it must be true!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:41 PM

chickenlittle, did they give the option of letting people choose where they wore their socks?
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Some of the reindeer were allowed to wear them on their antlers . . . I will say no more than that. . .
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 07:30 AM

The Nude-Stay phenomenon has a downside. My stay at the Pan Pacific in Bangkok was marred by a magic lavatory that yawned open without me even touching it - then spitefully squirted an icy jet of water at a part of Dogster that even he has never seen. I can only assume this is designed to protect the leather couches. I'm suing them for assault.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Bob and Karen have stayed a few times at the Pan pacific in KL......could that be why?

Dogster- LOL
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

I can belatedly inform all my concerned informers that the Pan Pacific Suzhou is one of the most beautiful and wonderful hotels I have ever seen. It is magnificent in architecture, with paths through the hotel made of varied stone textures as if one is in one of the historic gardens of Suzhou. We were able to manage an upgrade to a beautiful room overlooking the ancient garden that adjoins the hotel grounds--free entry for hotel guests. We overlooked a thousand year old pagoda, lit at night. Magic. A fabulous breakfast buffet, with silkworm pupa for those with a taste for it. A beautiful pool for cooling off after a hot day of garden visits. An indoor pool too, maybe for winter. excellent concierge service. Really recommended. Oh, and all those naked people, well, after a while you just stop seeing them that way. Just remember to dress before you leave.