Suggestions for paradise...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for a trip for the fine, sandy beaches, turquoise paradise that you see in travel brochures. We're also looking for nightlife- and during the day, some great snorkeling... This would be our paradise. Originally, looking at Tahiti, then heard it's very pricey- which we can't afford after paying for our wedding.

Been to Thailand, Hawaii, and thought the beaches were gorgeous...

Fiance has ruled OUT Africa, South America, France, Mexico

Where is your paradise & why? (fine sandy beaches? Good food? Friendly people?)

Thought about Bali, but heard the beaches were not the attraction there?? What do you think?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Maldives ????
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM

For the beaches, Maldives or the Pacific Islands like Fiji, Tahiti, Roratonga...etc. None of these places are inexpensive.

For me, Bali is paradise, in a cultural immmersion, lovely people, tropical kind of way. The beaches are not terrible, but not stunning. There is very good diving and snorkelling in the northwest and good in the east. The center of the island in the countryside is what won my heart. Of all the places we've been and all the things we've experienced, Bali is tops.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Have u considered the Maldives?..It is definately paradise..We stayed at Veligandu Island Island Resort and loved it...

http://www.veliganduisland.com/

pic's at

http://community.webshots.com/user/gbassett

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Queensland ?????
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Chele: I fell in love with Raiatea in Tahiti

KimJ:

I'm going to Bali one day, not because I ever wanted to but because of how you decribe your experiences there. Captivates me.

Aloha!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:51 PM

What time of year? This makes a big difference for many places in terms of rainfall and in some cases temperature.

Generally if you want fine powerdery white sand and turqoise waters and in Asia or the Indian Ocean, you are talking about the Maldives, Mauritius, Thahiti or Fiji. I think Hayman Island off of Australia would probably qualify too. The east coast of Malaysia has a lot of this. Some of the Philippines would qualify. But right time of year is important for some of this, esp for the Philippines and the east coast of Malaysia.

But then some of these places have very little night life; like in the Maldives you are on your own island basically. Very very very beautiful but also quite isolated (never been on a honeymoon, but isn't that the purpose of one?!) The Amanpulo in the Philippines is quite unbelievable but you are entirely off by yourself with only the hotel's restaurants and small gift shop.

I also love Bali but would agree that fine white powdery sand and turquoise blue water are hard to find.

If you have not been to the Caribean, and if you pick the right time of year, IMO some of those islands are really specacular. St John in particular.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:46 AM

Tracy, your pictures are amazing. That truly is paradise. Did you post a trip report? If so, can you re-post the link?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... Yes, time of year definitely is important. We are going in September. Otherwise, we were going to go to the Carribbean. Just too risky with hurricanes. We're looking at 2 weeks off & that would be tough to reschedule if we were affected by a hurricane.
Very good suggestions!! Keep em coming!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:11 AM

How about the Seychelles? Never been - have always wanted to - they sound like paradise to me!

But maybe as someone has already suggested, the Whitsunday Islands (Hayman - but there are plenty of other options) would fit the bill.

I know what you mean about the pix in the travel brochures!!

Happy travels.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Hi

The Maldives fits the description. My wife and I went there a couple of years back and it was just as beautiful as the postcards. Check out the trip report that I have posted on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/sun_island_index.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:54 AM

yeha maldives is kool for snorkling and you will get awesome beach
try chaayalagoon resort
get more info from
http://www.feofeo.com
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:13 AM

travel brouchurs. lol. photoshop can make the harlem river in NYC look turquoise

where are you flying from?

my paradises are huge, safe cosmopolotin cities with lots of havic going on, ( I can only handle a beach, however beutifull it is for a couple of hours, untill I start going stir crazy)