Bali 14 days 2nd trip suggestions

Aug 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Bali 14 days 2nd trip suggestions

We are traveling as 2 hip young and active couples in our early 50's. I would like to visit some different areas in Bali. We were last there in 2003. We visited Kuta, Ubud, Ahmed, Lake Bature the Mother Temple and Uluwata.
It has been suggested that we check out Sanur, Nusa Dua,and possibly Lovina,except I have heard Americans are not really welcome in the northern part of the island due to politics. We still plan to go to Ubud, 5 years ago we stayed at the Ubud Village hotel, we are planning to go back to Ubud any suggestions as to where to stay. We have heard the Alam Indah is a nice place. We are leaving late November any help would be appreciated.
Aug 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM

There are still many nice places to visit in Bali. Check out other Fodors threads under 'Bali' for ideas.
I too have heard that sometimes Balinese aren't as friendly to Americans in the north. I think the college is in Singaraja and students tend to be more political.

Aug 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM

I'd cross Nusa Dua off your list. It's entirely a tourist enclave with nothing of cultural interest. I like Sanur for a nice village to stay in along the coast. There are a variety of good accommodations in Sanur.

If you'd like to visit another island, consider a few days on Lombok. Lovely, uncrowded beaches on Lombok. It's an entirely different culture from Bali. We stayed at a great place on Lombok, Qunci Villas.
Aug 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM

We stayed at Domai Villas in the north and went on an all-day snorkeling trip to Menjangan island. If there were any prejudices against Americans, we didn't encounter them.
Aug 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I would appreciate any places you would recommend in Sanur.We were hoping to stay under 80 a night.
Were did you leave from to get to Lombok? I would enjoy experiencing another culture although sometimes the beaches are just that, beach life. Can you recommend something away from the beach? I would like to mix it up a bit.
Aug 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I would love to hear more about the north. How expensive was the area. What else was of interest etc.
We are very blond and do not blend in easily.
How many days would you recommend to spend in the north. I have heard about a surfer who opened up a bed and breakfast type place near Menjangan. Did you stay in Lovina or closer to the island.
Aug 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM

We stayed in Damai Villas about an hour away from Menjangan. Less than US$200/nt - not cheap but very nice. www.damai.com
Aug 27th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I checked out the web site, it looks beautiful but it is too expensive for us. We would rather spend the $ on activities. Any other suggestions?
Aug 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM

While on Lombok, we enjoyed visiting villages. We also enjoyed a visit to a pottery workshop, a shooping trip into Mataram, where we found wonderful hand-woven textiles and we found vanilla beans in the market. We also visited a local artist and had a fascinating converation with him and his wife. There is also the local volcano you can climb - but not during rainy season when we were there.

We paid US$70 per night including breakfast at Qunci Villas. Take a look at their website.

I can't remember the name of the port on bali where you take teh hydrofoil to Lombok, but any local agency can arrange it for you.
Aug 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I checked it out and it does look beautiful, thanks for the suggestion. Any other places you would suggest to visit, we have 14 days.
Aug 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Skip Nusa Dua. It's an antiseptic Miami Beach. We were there for two days in June.
Aug 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Okay Nusa Dua is off my list of places to visit. Can you recommend any where else?
Any suggestions of where to stay in Sanur or Ubud for under $80 a night?
Aug 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM

g.girls, For the beach I would steer you toward the Seminak area. Plenty of choices in places to stay. Lots of restaurants, shops, spas, clubs -- but not as frantic as Kuta. I'd look at the Sofitel.

As an American who has lived in Indonesia for a decade+, I've never experienced hostility toward the U.S., ever. I'm puzzled why anyone would advise you that Americans aren't welcome in North Bali. There must be more to that story, possibly because North Bali is mixed Islamic and Hindu.

North Bali is scenic (though not so much as Central Bali). The beaches are black sand volcanic, which, to me has limited appeal. The real draw is the scuba and snorkling in the Menjangan area. For places to stay Taman Sari group in Pemuteran is recommended in your price range. Puri Ganesah villas is lovely but may be more expensive.

I like the Alila outside of Ubud as it has a good balance of serenity and liveliness. The architecture is contemporary not traditional Balinese, but the pool and views are stunning and the food and service very good.

The Alila on Bali's east coast in Manggis is also really nice as a base for that area. The beach is somewhat eroded, but the grounds are lovely.

The port from which the Lombok ferries leave is Pandang Bai, near the Alila Manggis, actually. I think there are also private ferries that leave from Benoa, just north of Nusa Dua.

If you're looking for a different cultural experience you might consider stopping in Central Java on your way to or from Bali. Lots of archeology, ancient temples (the most famous being Borobudur) and more profoundly beautiful scenery.
Aug 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will check out all your suggestions. How would you divide up your time if you had 14 days. I am trying to set up an itinerary and then book my accommodations. Any help would be appreciated. We would like to stay the first 2 nights in Sanur (to recoup any jet lag)and then visit maybe 2 or 3 other places (an additional 14 days)so I guess we are really in Bali for 16 days total. How many days in each place to visit all the out lying attractions, etc.?
Sep 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM

I stayed at the Damai Lovina in '03 or '04. A beautiful property, maybe too pricy. I enjoyed experiencing the cultural differences in the north. The local people I met may not have been as curious and easily engaged as in the rest of Bali but they did warm up (I had to make more of an effort to engage them) and I never felt any hostility.
I too am planning my second trip to Bali and want to return to Ubud for several days. I enjoyed staying at a village a few minutes out of town so I could walk the village daily and chat with people. I'm sorry I can't recommend any hotel that meets your requirements.
How about 3 nights in Sanur to acclimate; 3-4 nights Ubud area, 2 nights Lovina area or 3 nights at a health/wellness place in the southeast. Fly to Java, 3 ngihts based in Yogy then end with a rest at Semiyak or where Kathie recommends on Lombok.