Suggestions for Myanmar

Search

Suggestions for Myanmar

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Myanmar

We're flying into BKK in mid-December through Mid-January and would like to visit Burma, as we heard it's interesting (although I'm struggling with the human rights violations). Does anyone have any recommendations as to how we should book our travel? It looks like there are several tour packages. We'll probably be there for between 5-10 days depending on which places we decide to visit. Which places to people recommend? Yangon-Bagan-Mandalay? Is Inle Lake worth seeing over any of the other places I mentioned?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM

We used Santa Maria Travel & Tours in Yangon. All arranged by email and paid for in US cash in Yangon after we arrived. Their website is www.myanmartravels.net. They are non-govt. helpful, reliable, cheap and we found them very easily. They are just behind Traders Hotel in Yangon. Inle Lake is unique and unusual. Maybe 2-3 days is enough. Our visit to the Jumping Cat monastery was very entertaining. The town closest to the lake of Nyaungshwe is a bit of a dump! Bagan is unforgettable and the Bagan Hotel was very comfy with a good pool and a lovely view over the Ayeyarawady River from our room. We did not visit Mandalay. Taunggyi was worth a visit for the comparison to Yangon. We hired a car/driver from our hotel for the day. Its residents live in the richest city in Myanmar. Best of luck.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM

we spent 5 days in yangon on our own and hired a driver...this gave us total flexibility...we loved it...

staying away does not help the human rights situations one bit....by the way you will see no violations while you are there and the people seem quite content all in all...i was there in early december and the weather was perfect by the way...hot of course...
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I assume you know about the recent (10 days ago) coup in Burma. If not, I posted a story from the cnn website about it. While I don't think this makes it more dangerous for visitors, know that borders have been closed off and on. Also the new PM is impplicated in the adbuction of Ang San Sui Kyi and the murder of a number of her followers in May, 2003.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I heard about the coup which is why I'm slightly hestitant. If you had to just see 2 places in Burma, which would you go to?