Story About Bradinbangkok

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Story About Bradinbangkok

Everybody that knows me on this forum knows that I play pool wherever I travel.

OK, so Tuesday night I show up for the 9-ball league at the local pool room in my home town. The owner tells me the local paper is looking for a local pool player to feature in a story and an on-line video. For some reason, I was recommended.

I was hungover, I forgot my cue, etc. But I'll be in Asia next week so I said "let's do this now."

He recorded the 12 games I played. There were no set-up shots and no do-overs. All you see is me playing league matches. I had 2 B&R's, 2 short racks, and won 9-3.

I wish he would have at least got a b&r from beginning to end, but its edited down. And my best shots of the night were edited out. He interviewed me before & after the match and added it as a voice over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSJC1JvbCME

PS: I'll be competing in the Thailand National Championships this month. I spend enough time in Thailand that they invite me to play every year.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Brad, a star in the making. Good luck in the tourney in Thailand. We'll miss you at the GTG, but your mom will represent Illinois quite well.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Andy!

That tournament is a tough one. I made it into the top 16 last year.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Congrats, Brad. Good luck in Thailand!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM

Some really good footage there Brad. I found it quite compelling and watched it twice. That is a real talent that you have there.
I would love to have a game with you if we are ever in Bangkok at the same time (no bets though). Our "pool" is a slightly different game, maybe we can play a set of each.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shane,
How is your pool different?

In the video, I'm playing 9-ball.

I also play 8-ball, 10-ball, 14.1, rotation, one pocket, snooker, three cushion, etc.

Billiards is played in almost every country, and different games are popular in different regions.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM

The game that we play is what you call 14.1 I think.

15 numbered balls with each player having to pot either 7 "high's or low's" with the 8 ball being the final for both.

This and snooker are the games played in the majority of pubs and clubs in Australia with anything else being a rarity.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Shane,
That would be 8-ball. It is also popular here in the States.

If you are from Australia, you may know of Quentin Hann? He is one of Australia's best snooker & pool players.

I played him in a tournament in Bangkok a few years ago, and gambled with him afterwords. I got the best of him, only because of his level of intoxication, not because of my ability.

Hope to play you sometime in BKK. I can show you the best places to play.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Quentin has a bit of a reputation as a "hot-head".

Is it deserved or just a media beat up.

If you believe the local press, he plays pool as a contact sport.

Love to catch up on our next trip. I love to play but I am just a "hack" so you will have to take it easy on me. My game gets better as I get drunker, or that may just be the "beer-goggles"
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like you know about him already. Then you should be able to believe my story about the experience I had with him in Bangkok.

Unfortunately, its not suitable for posting on this forum.

Hot-head is putting it mildly.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM

I love a bit of dirt. Can you post a PG rated version? I'm good at reading between the lines.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Brad- You can't pique us like that and not follow through with the goods.. You have an obligation to spill the beans NAO!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Congrats Brad just got out of the wild and into a city with internet connection. Did they let you play the drums after?lol

I won't tell anyone your Achilles heel.

Good luck in BKK with the pics on your i phone

Aloha!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

OK, here's the PG rated story:

About 6 or 7 years ago, after Quentin got banned from International Snooker, he showed up at an after hours club in Bangkok for a red-eye tournament. I was there with a friend and my Dad (simpsonc510's DH.)

Dad & I both had expensive cues, and when Quentin saw them he immediately started in on us about playing for everything we had. To say that he was socially handicapped would be an understatement. We really just wanted to avoid him.

I finished higher in the tournament than he did, and I won the big game of Killer that he was in afterwords. All the while he was getting out of control on booze & drugs.

He ended up having sex with one of the waitresses in a restroom stall. They trashed the stall and were so loud and crazy that nobody could use the john while they were in there.

Then he wanted to fight. He started a fight with my buddy, which was a big mistake. At least the end result slowed him down a bit.

The place was an illegal after hours place, so they didn't want to call the cops. They may have raided the place, and Quentin could have gotten himself killed by the way he was acting.

In the end, they decided to lace his drink with downers. About 30 minutes later, he was face down at the bar in a semi-coma. That was about 6AM or so.

Problem solved.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM

So it is true. How obnoxious.

The full xxx version must be really interesting.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing that Brad. I too would love to hear the saucier tidbits.