Tokyo Itinerary

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Tokyo Itinerary

Getting really excited as the trip to Japan gets closer (Nov) so I'm posting the Tokyo Itinerary so feel free to tell me If I'm missing anything. Really want to relax and not do too much running around. Will be in Tokyo for only about 5 full days. The other days I have two day trips planned for Nikko & Hakone. The time in Tokyo will be split up with Kyoto and points south in between.

**Staying in Shiba Park area at beginning of trip:

Day 1. Ueno Park - see temples/shrine, visit a museum. Lunch / visit Asakusa followed by afternoon cruise on Sumida to Hinode with a stop at Hamarikyu gardens. Roppongi for dinner.

Day 2. Imperial Palace followed by Ginza. Lunch / visit Akihabara.

**Staying in Shinjuku area at the end:

Day 3. Shinjuku / Shibuyu.

Day 4. Harajuku / Yoyogi Park - Meiji Shrine in morning. Afternoon is open.

Day 5. Open day perhaps to revisit other places. Perhaps thinking of another day trip using Enoshima-Kamakura pass.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Hi Anthony7,
I would also recommend that you check out the Tsukiji Market in Tokyo. They have an amazing tuna auction that is a must-see - we have posted a map to the tuna market here: http://bit.ly/84Voj
Have a great trip!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM

What day in November is day 4? Will it be a shichi-go-san day?

I visited Asakusa, took the boat to Hamarikyu, and then walked over to Tsukiji market. It fits really well that way. Might work in the opposite direction if you went to the fish auction at Tsukiji in the early AM (but check the hours of the garden). I haven't visited Hinode.

Here is the Tsukiji website: http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/tukiji_e.htm

What are you going to see at the Imperial Palace?

Go to this website: jnto.go.jp/eng and scroll down to the bottom of the page and see the link: "Schedule of events to be enjoyed in September". In a few weeks, go there and click the link when it says "... November".

What is the rest of you j-itin?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Wow, your trip seems really nice! I grew up in Enoshima and lived in Ginza and then currently live in near Hinode and love these places you are planning to visit!
To make your trip more effective, I would recommend as follows;

Day 3
I would omit Shinjuku
It has less to see and its atmosphere is like between Shibuya and Akihabara – and instead of that, I would spare much more time for Harajuku/Omotesando and also combine the Meiji-shrine into that day.
I guess this plan will shorten the City-walking time and allow you to spare one more day for Hakone or Nikko, since these two places are quite far and opposite direction.
Plus, my friend who had just stayed Tokyo and tried to do a lot things like this schedules said it was really exhausting.

Have you searched the train directions for these places? As Nikko is like North-end and Hakone is like West-end of Kanto area. Additionally, they have no straight way, so you need to stop once and change the train at Tokyo (5 changes of train line, 3 hours).
Nikko has a lot more places to see, so I would recommend spending 2 days there and go to Hakone, although that should be still really running.

Day 5 (the open day)
I would definitely recommend that you visit Kamakura/Enoshima. Kamakura is really enjoyable place and I see lots of tourists there ;-)
Additionally, Kamakura/Enoshima is much more convenient to head to Hakone directly (as it’s located at the middle of Tokyo and Hakone, the train trip is only 1.5 hour).

As an option, how about splitting the locations like this;
1) After 4 days in Tokyo, go to Nikko and spend 2 days.
2) Go back/through Tokyo and then Kamakura
3) Go to Hakone

**May be Kyoto, NEXT TIME**
Apologize if I made you confused, but hope this helps.
Cheers,
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Approachguides: Thank you for reminding me of Tsukiji fish market. We'll definitely pay a visit there though prob not early morning. Lunch sounds nice and perhaps reverse that river cruise.

Mrwunrfl: The dates for Tokyo is Nov 9-14 & Nov 19-22. I'm just making day itineraries and will select what to do then based on the weather, mainly the side trips which hope to do during the week to avoid the most crowds. As mentioned before, will check out the fish market during the day perhaps on the river cruise. The cruises don't start running until 10am I believe. Well I was thinking of just a morning walk around the outside palace and see some gardens followed by whatever there is to see between there and Ginza with lunch in between? Between the Tokyo dates, we'll be visiting Kyoto.

Sakura27: Will check out Omotesando and prob omit Shinjuku since we're staying there. Being exhausted is not what I want so will not be rushing to see everything. To me vacation is relaxing and moving at a slow pace. I really want to limit the hotels and already have them booked, one of them through priceline so really can't change the dates. 1 or 2 full day trips from Tokyo should be fine which is why I want to take the other days at a much slower pace. Yes I do know Nikko & Hakone are opposite directions, will prob go to Nikko right away hoping the leaves will be in color. If the weather is bad, Hakone will be scrapped because I really want a clear view of Mt Fuji and surrounding area. I'm thinking about doing Hakone on the way to/from Tokyo from Kyoto. How many hours would one need to do the full loop slow paced? 5 hours? Which week would be good for Hakone area for leaf color?

Thanks for the replies!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Sorry I must have misunderstood about your schedule for Kyoto. If you think of that route, then that make sense!
Well I’m not sure about how long will the full loop take in Hakone as it’s depends on where and what you are interested in. However, if the leaf color is good, the stay would be longer for sure as it’s really amazing every year.
The best term of leaf color in Hakone this year is said from mid to late Nov which is about one month later than one in Nikko.
I bet you have already found some websites though, here is the one I think is good for Hakone;
http://www.hakonenavi.jp/english/index.html
weather cameras (Japanese):
http://www.hakonenavi.jp/HKNV/index.html
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Oh no! I'm going to miss the Hakone Sweets Collection which ends on Oct 31 Hakone will most likely be a day trip from Tokyo rather than a stop by on the way to Kyoto so we won't feel rushed. Thank you for that link though, some very useful info there. I've seen pics/reports from last year so should see some color the 2nd week of Nov
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Then you would want to go to Meiji Jingu on the 14th or the 21st or 22nd.

http://www.ginkoya.com/pages/shigosan.html
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

So now I'm thinking of taking out the day trip to Hakone and just have the Nikko day. I believe we can stop there on the return from Kyoto to Tokyo. Is there station lockers at Odawara for our luggage? If we were to send our luggage via delivery service, what would be the earliest to send them? Wed morning to be delivered on Thursday?

Thanks Mrwunrfl for the Meiji Jingu link!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM

I have a slightly different opinion. I think your original schedule looks fine for a first time visitor. Shinjuku is a must imho for a visitor but I can see where a local would want to stay clear of the area.....kind of like I do with Waikiki, yet I wouldn't tell people not to visit there.

When you do Ueno Park, stop by the Ameyoko Market for some bargain shopping:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3012.html

I agree with just doing one day trip, if were me I would do Hakone. Hakone is easier to do than Nikko for the first timer.

FREE THE MONKEY GOD!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Here is an updated itinerary, I think I've got the main stuff to see in Tokyo. I really don't want to go overboard and would rather miss out than be exhausted at the end of every day. I have some great brochures mailed to me by the tourism and one of them is a walking booklet of the various areas I hope to see so it should come in handy. I'm not sure where to fit Kamakura-Enoshima, would this be a half or full day? Still working on Kyoto sites but it seems pretty easy. I'm thinking of setting up a local guide like Shandy did on her visit. Thanks for the added tips and advice, really appreciate it. I'm glad I found this site.

Day 1: Arrive NRT - limo bus to hotel
Day 2: Ueno Park (museums, shrines & gardens) - Ameyoko - Akihabara
Day 3: Day trip to Nikko
Day 4: Tsukiji - Hamarikyu - Sumida river cruise - Asakusa
Day 5: Palace gardens - Ginza
Day 6: Himeji / Hiroshima
Day 7: Hiroshima (peace park - memorials/museum) / Miyajima (spend afternoon on island until sunset)
Day 8: Kyoto
Day 9: Kyoto - day trip to Nara (rent bikes)
Day10: Kyoto
Day11: Early train to Hakone in route back to Tokyo- (Yumoto station has baggage storage area)
Day12: Shinjuku / Shibuyu (staying in Shinjuku the last few nights)
Day13: Harajuku - Yoyogi park/Meiji shrine - Omotesando
Day14: AM open / PM - NEX back to NRT
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM

I've got to make your itin like this so I can understand it:

Nov 9: Arrive NRT - limo bus to hotel
Nov 10: Ueno Park (museums, shrines & gardens) - Ameyoko - Akihabara
Nov 11: Nov 1 trip to Nikko
Nov 12: Tsukiji - Hamarikyu - Sumida river cruise - Asakusa
Nov 13: Palace gardens - Ginza
Nov 14: Himeji / Hiroshima
Nov 15: Hiroshima (peace park - memorials/museum) / Miyajima (spend afternoon on island until sunset)
Nov 16: Kyoto
Nov 17: Kyoto - Nov 1 trip to Nara (rent bikes)
Nov 18: Kyoto
Nov 19: Early train to Hakone in route back to Tokyo- (Yumoto station has baggage storage area)
Nov 20: Shinjuku / Shibuyu (staying in Shinjuku the last few nights)
Nov 21: Harajuku - Yoyogi park/Meiji shrine - Omotesando
Nov 22: AM open / PM - NEX back to NRT
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Nov 9: Arrive NRT - limo bus to hotel
Nov 10: Ueno Park (museums, shrines & gardens) - Ameyoko - Akihabara
Nov 11: Day trip to Nikko
Nov 12: Tsukiji - Hamarikyu - Sumida river cruise - Asakusa
Nov 13: Palace gardens - Ginza
Nov 14: Himeji / Hiroshima
Nov 15: Hiroshima (peace park - memorials/museum) / Miyajima (spend afternoon on island until sunset)
Nov 16: Kyoto
Nov 17: Kyoto - Day trip to Nara (rent bikes)
Nov 18: Kyoto
Nov 19: Early train to Hakone in route back to Tokyo- (Yumoto station has baggage storage area)
Nov 20: Shinjuku / Shibuyu (staying in Shinjuku the last few nights)
Nov 21: Harajuku - Yoyogi park/Meiji shrine - Omotesando
Nov 22: AM open / PM - NEX back to NRT
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Ok, checking the Tsukiji Maketo calendar I see that it is open the 12th.

Nov 15 - you should be able to make the 19:51 Hikari from Hiroshima to Kyoto (getting there via a ferry and local train). Otherwise, change trains at Osaka. I assume you are taking the train back that night. What time is sunset?

Nov 19 is day 6 of your JR Pass.

Nov 19 - yes there may be luggage storage at Hakone Yumoto but you won't necessarily be stopping there. You will be stopping at Odawara. You can take a bus from Odawara to Miyanoshita or Sengoku, or the Hakone Tozan train to Miyanoshita or Gora. I am sure that there are lockers at JR Odawara station, tho I haven't seen/looked for them. Better would be to just send most of your luggage from Kyoto to your Tokyo hotel.

On the 20th, your JR Pass will still be good and get you back from Odawara to Tokyo. Or you can just take the Odakyu train or pay on JR. That would give you the 13th to go to Nikko, spend the night there or return to Tokyo, and then go to Kyoto or Hiroshima. Otherwise, you can use your JR Pass in Tokyo on the 13th.

You are going overboard a bit with the multiple travel days. Adding another day to Kyoto at the expense of Nikko or Hakone would be a good idea.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM

at the expense of Nikko or Hakone (or both) or of Tokyo
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

We're staying overnight on the 15th and going to Kyoto the next morning. There are only 3 hotels reserved for the trip, it's really hard to change things up because the hotel in Tokyo (19-22) is paid for already through priceline and not much availability left in Kyoto, my current rate would go up.

Yes I know about stopping in Odawara but though the next stop on the "loop" was Yomoto station? They have a checked baggage counter there per their website for sightseeing would be cheaper and less of a hassle than lockers or shipping bags to Tokyo IMO.

I do see the extra day with the JR pass so need to think that through however it can be used in Tokyo or day trip to Kamakura? How many days should I leave for Kyoto? I thought 2 full days should be sufficient.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Overnight where, in Miyajima or Hiroshima?

Hakone Yumoto could be the next stop from Odawara or you could choose from the other routes I have descirbed and just skip it.

It would be cheaper to leave luggage at a station but it is more hassle than shipping.

I recommended adding day to Kyoto though some would add several more.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Here is a description of the pass and a map:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

So I bought my JR passes today! Only 28 days to go until we leave for Tokyo. I pretty much have everything down about what to see and prob won't stick to the itinerary anyways. Now I just need to start making a list of great restaurants! Oh yeah and maybe work on the rest of my Japan itinerary too.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM

You bought the vouchers for the JR passes. Good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO