Search

Stopping off by the inland sea.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopping off by the inland sea.

Hey people,
Got a big bunch of friends and family coming out to Japan for me wedding and trying to put together a little week-long trip for everyone in the week after the wedding.

Leaving on the Sunday and planning to head to Hiroshima/Miyajima and then Kyoto/Nara. I've been thinking to break up the journey down from Gunma with a stop in Tomo-no-ura or Sensui-jima on the way down but can't decide if it's worth the effort - the guidebooks rave about it but many of the reviews on the net suggest folk have been a lil underwhelmed and I'm wondering if a couple of nights on Miyajima may be the way to go.

Has anybody got any thoughts on that part of the world? Does Miyajima warrant two nights? Is Tomonoura overrated? Would also welcome suggestions for other places that might be worth a look on the journey down.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas. Cheers in advance for your time!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM

That is a good bit of travelling, for a group, going from Gunma to Miyajima. It depends on how big is the bunch and how varied their capabilities are.

I think that the trip would start by going from Gunma to Tokyo. That would be one train ride, maybe a connection depending on where you are in Gunma. Then get a shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin Osaka connection to a shinkansen to Hiroshima, change to a local train to Miyajimaguchi, then walk to the ferry, ride the ferry to the jima, and then walk a ways to your lodging (or call them and they will send a van (depending on what place(s) your group stays at.

For the train/ferry cost the adults will need a JR Pass for 28300 yen. less for kids.

Might be easier to manage a trip closer to Gunma. Like to Nikko. The jnto.go.jp website has a section on Gunma. I don't know where Tomonoura or Sunsuijima are, but if closer to Gunma, the better I think.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Didn't really mean to discourage you from going down to the Seto Nai Kai.

Found some info on Tomonoura and Sensuijima. Ok if you want to visit a Japanese fishing village. Some Edo period commercial stuctures. Quiet, pretty, probably. One person's webpage had some pictures from Tomo. About 8 photos in all, 2 or 3 of which were of fish on hangers. Does seem a bit underwhelming.

To get to those places I think that you would take the shinkansen to Fukuyama. There is a castle to visit right at the station. Fukuyama is only 24 minutes from Hiroshima, so it would be a pretty late break coming from Gunma. I read that there is no train station in Tomonoura, but I suppose it has bus service.

Did you consider stopping in Kurashiki?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Hey there,
Cheers for the quick responses - much appreciated.

Funny you mention it - Kurashiki was the other option - again trying to weigh up whether it's worth the stop or whether pressing on for the extra night in Miyajima is better.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Hi Deejaycurlee,
I've ever had a 3nights-4days trip to Hiroshima and Kurashiki. 2 for Hiroshima and 1 for Kurashiki. I rather recommend you to stop at Kurashiki instead of 2 days for Miyajima. You still can feel classic japanese atmosphere which is never artificially created.
Kurashiki just on the way b/w Kyoto and Hiroshima. You should stop off there!