Search

Shikoku

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:58 AM
rsm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shikoku

I will be visiting Matsuyama, Takamatsu & Kochi in November. Anyone have any suggestions/advice (places to visit or avoid, restaurants, etc.)?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM

How are you getting onto the island? On the train from Okayama? Or on the ferry from Hiroshima? Or by road from Iwaji-jima to Naruto? Or other?

In Matsuyama, I recommend that you visit Dogo Onsen. It is a wonderful old hot springs spa. It is famous: every self-respecting Japanese tourist visiting Matsuyama is going to get their picture taken in front of it.

There is a great castle in Matsuyama that you should not miss.

Here is some info on Dogo and Matsuyama-jo:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/spn/setouchi/ehime.html
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:38 PM
rsm
Original Poster

Thank you for the information.

I'll be taking the train from Okayama to Kochi, Takamatsu (with a day trip to Kotohira) and finally Matsuyama (with a side trip to Uchiko & Uwajima). I'll then return to Kyoto via train.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:00 PM

That train ride across the Inland Sea (Seto Nai Kai) is a scenic one. I think you will enjoy it.

In Kochi, you might consider going to the horse race track. There is a mare who races there named Haru Urara who has never one a race in over a hundred tries (was 106 or so as of May). She was very famous all over Japan (as a "never give up" role model). Maybe she has since won.

In Matsuyama, there is a street car line from JR Matsuyama station that terminates quite near Dogo Onsen. From that station, there are buses that go to Matsuyama port where you can get a hydrofoil across the Seto Nai Kai to Hiroshima. It is beautiful and I think that part of the SNK is actually a national park. At Hiroshima port, it is easy to catch a streetcar to the JR station where you can catch the shinkansen to Tokyo. Timewise, I think that trip could be competitive with your obvious option of taking the train back to Takamatsu and Okayama where you would catch the shinkansen to Kyoto.

The leaves will be turning colors in that region around the 3rd week of November.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Bonjour rms,

A great alternative to the train to or from Takamatsu is the Jumbo Ferry from Kobe (about Yen 2000/person - 4 hours). http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2355.html
Even on a rainy day, you'll see more of the inland sea than by train. From the Kobe ferry terminal, a bus will take you to Sannomiya station where you can board a direct train to Kyoto. All very convenient and easy, although of course longer than with the train all along.

From Takamatsu, consider visiting Yashima hill and Shikoku Mura (about 20 min on Kotoden line from downtown Kawaramachi station). Inside Takamatsu, the covered arcades (around 2 miles long) and Ritsurin garden are worth a visit. I've stayed twice at the Takamatsu City Hotel, excellent location, clean and cheap ( http://www.city-hotel.co.jp/eaccess.html ), and next to an excellent "Sanuki Udon" (special Shikoku noodles) restaurant.

I've also visited Naruto for the whirlpools, really spectacular if you time your visit to coincide with the tide, but there is not much else to see there, especially in November, I guess.