Stopover's on the Way Back from India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking a 17 day tour of India/Nepal from Canada...WE will be making a 3 day stopover in HKG on the way back home..But before we get to HKG, there is a possible quick stopover in Bangkok, or we can go straight through to Hong Kong..Have been to Thailand twice before, but have not been to BKK since 1994...Do you think adding on a 1 or 2 day stopover in BKK, before arriving in HKG may just be a little overload or would you visit as many cities as possible?? It will not be our last trip to Asia..Thanks..
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 08:01 PM

It is a bit much, isn't it? After a 17 day trip to India, you'd do the airport transer to BKK and back in a day or two and then fro/to HKG airport. I'd just spend the extra time in HKG.

Am guessin that your options are because you are flying on Cathay Pacific and have a choice of returning from Delhi to HKG or from Bombay to BKK to HKG.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

We are taking Cathay and thought it might be an option to stop in BKK for a nice Thai meal and do a little shopping..But I am starting to think that by that time our suitcases will be bulging and we still have HKG to see, so maybe you are right, we should just spend the extra time in HKG and eat Thai when we get home!!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 02:22 AM

I agree with the others that adding Bangkok would be a bit exhausting. I love India and have traveled there many times, but you will find it tiring. Adding another city to Hong Kong would be a bit much, IMO, especially a somewhat chaotic city like Bangkok. You may feel shopped and templed out in any event, and could wind down in Hong Kong with more leisurely pursuits (and pleasures like drinking water out to the tap. . .) What time of year are you going? The winter months in Hong Kong are so great that I would add as many days there as you can.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi, we are going in the middle of October, 2004...We would arrive in HKG on November 1st...On that note, do you have any recommendations on a good but not too expensive hotel on or near Nathan Road? I was thinking the Kimberly Hotel..
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:05 AM

I think your assessment that your auitcases will be ulging is entirely correct. After India I doubt u wil have space for Bkk type shopping. IMO avoid - esp as u plan to be back in Asia. Thailand deserves more time - and shopping space! POst a new msg if u want India shopping tips telling me what u are looking for and where all u will be.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:43 AM

I don't know the Kimberly but just looked it up on the internet. Looks like a good location not far from Nathan road shopping, and there are lots of restaurants in the area as well. Unless you were on a very high floor, you probably would not have any harbour views, this may or may not matter to you. Rooms look nice, but who really knows from websites, I have been surprised myself sometimes?

The Kimberly website shows a standard double for November at HK1200 or about US$155. Some other hotels in the same range or less which I know or have stayed at would be:

1. YMCA Salisbury Road
41 Salisbury Road Tsim Sha Tsui
Kowloon

This is a great place, fantastic location, it gets good reviews on this site. It really is a nice 4* hotel disguised as a YMCA. They are very popular and often fully booked, so if you are interested, make a reservation soon (you can always cancel). They have standard rooms from $90 a night, and have suites from US$129. The standard rooms tend to be small so I would opt for a suite if possible. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www.ymca-hotels.com/

2. Bishop Lei International House
4 Robinson Rd
Mid-levels, Hong Kong Island
Tel: 852-2868-0828
fax: 852-2525-1551.
bishopleihtl.com
The hotel is in mid-levels which makes it very convenient. The rooms are small but very nice, and the location is good, in a residential neighborhood near the top of the escalator and on a bus route. It is just above the zoo in the botanical gardens and you can hear the orang utans in the morning, quite unusual in the middle of the city. . . Many of the rooms have great views over the city and the harbor. They have a pool and restaurant, and there are other restaurants in the neighborhood. They have standard rooms from US$73 and suites from $96. The rooms tend to be small, so I would go for a suite if you can which will give you two rooms and you won't feel so cramped.
3. YWCA Garden View International House
1 Macdonnell Road
Mid-levels, Hong Kong Island
http://www.ywca.org.hk/hotel/Eng/home2.htm

Well located in midlevels on Hong Kong Island. This is a YWCA hotel. They are located near Bowen Road, an excellent flat pedestrian-only road in Hong Kong good for walking and jogging, with wonderful views. This hotel would be my second choice after the Salisbury Road Y as the Salisbury Road Y has more facilities, however it is still a good choice. They have a rooftop pool which is also a plus. They have standard double rooms starting at $85.

3. YMCA Harbour View
International House
4 Harbour Road
Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Nice location in Wan Chai near some interesting local markets and shopping and not far from central. I have not stayed in the rooms in more than 10 years, and they have substantially redone them, I do recall they were somewhat small. They have standard rooms starting at about US$85.

4. YMCA International House
23 Waterloo Road
Kowloon

There is the third Y in Hong Kong, the which was just rebuilt and I have not been inside since it re-opened. It is in Kowloon , not far from the Kimberly. As it is new, the facilities should be good. Worth a look. They have standard doubles starting at US$91. As it is the same price as the Salisbury Road Y, I am guessing the facilities are very good and they can charge more even though their location is secondary, IMO. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www.ymca-hotels.com/

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all that info..It is much appreciated.