Bangkok or Hong Kong

Search

Bangkok or Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok or Hong Kong

I am trying to arrange a trip for me and my husband and baby to first the far east for the first time. As we will have a 14 month old baby with us we would like to pick one destination and stay for a week (thus minimising travel - we live in the UK). I would love to get some advice on whether to choose Bangkok or Hong Kong. We love sightseeing and eating out. Additionally how much should we budget for the week excluding flight and accommodation costs? Any advice would be really appreciated.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM

The two cities are very different from each other and both are wonderful destinations. You'll need to budget about twice as much if you opt for Hong Kong as you would if you opted for Bangkok.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I think a lot of people on this board will recommend BKK over HK. BKK is more culturally exotic, whereas HK is more capitalized. There are definitely exotic sights in HK, you just have to go a little further out to see them - the outlying islands, Big Buddha etc. If you stay in the city, you'll be taking in more of the big city sights. I have to say though, that HK is a far more efficient city than BKK, which may or may not make a difference to you with a little baby. It's cleaner; people don't hassle you when you're walking down the streets; you don't have to argue with taxi drivers about turning their meters on, etc. HK is also more expensive than BKK.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM

A week in Hong Kong is quite a bit of time. I suggest most visitors who have that much of time to do an overnight trip to Macau, and spend some time hiking or just walking around in the New Territories.

But with a 14-month old, I don't know how desirable are those activities. And therefore, I am also not sure if Hong Kong is the best place to go for you.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM

i am a huge supporter of bkk but given your situation: your are from uk and heat bothers most uk people but more importantly you have a small child...thus i suggest HK...while it is more expensive i think you would find it far easier for yourself and for your child....

try looking at the salisbury ymca as a possible place to stay...centrally located, decent and comfortable and affordable....

as for costs, it is what you make it...you can eat quite cheaply and also get around reasonably...

i vote for HK...

having said that i think you would love bkk as well....you could choose just a day or so in bkk and go to a beach area like koh samui and really enjoy yourselves....take a look at the peace resort on samui as an example of a nice family place...
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM

There is also the new Disney in Hong Kong as well, that may sway your baby's vote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I love both places, but I'd probabl;y recommend Hong Kong. I think it would be much easier with a toddler -- places like Hong Kong and Kowloon Parks would be great for kids, and the everyday things (transportation, etc) are easier in HK than BKK.

In terms of costs, the top-level hotels in Hong Kong are more expensive than those in Bangkok, but you can certainly find comfortable and convenient hotels in HK for under $150/nite (eg, Holiday Inn Express at Times Square, New World Renaissance).

Another practical issue is moving around town w/a 14-month-old. Bangkok's sidewalks are notoriously difficult (uneven surfaces, etc.), and would be far more difficult problem HK.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Have you travelled long haul with your little one before? The reason I am asking is having 'ventured forth' past European time zones (we are in the UK as well with a 21 month old), it seems to take our little one quite a long time to adjust to the timezone change and I have heard this is the case from friends also. Not wishing to discourage you from travelling with your child as I am totally in support of this, but I am wondering if you are only travelling somewhere for a week, whether it is going to be worth travelling so far.

Best wishes
BB
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Well I have been to both many times but I am biased in that Hong Kong is my favourite city in the world. It will definitely be more expensive there than Bangkok so it depends whether that will be the deciding factor or not. That said I would hate to lug a baby around Bangkok with the heat, humidity ,pollution and spreadout nature of the city. Hong Kong is more compact,easy to get around and has lots of interest to see ( I disagree that a week is a long time there though I do agree that a day trip across to Macau is a nice sojourn while you are there). I like both cities but cost aside I do think that in your case with a baby and being English, Hong Kong is the answer. Enjoy!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:06 PM

To be frank, I would not take a 14 month old to either city. To go to a beach or maybe a mountain area would be fine, but to drag a toddler around a hot, humid, crowded and polluted city, neither of which are particularly stroller or baby-friendly is not my idea of a holiday. Putting jet lag into the mix just adds to the problems; you will be up all night for the first few nights because the baby will be up all night. If you come to Hong Kong in the milder winter months then you are a bit better off, but even then there is not a lot to interest a child that young, she/he is too young for Disney anyway. Bangkok might really be too much, esp. in the hotter months, as dehydration can be a real concern, not to mention a toddler who will constantly be wanting to put everything in his/her mouth (something you don't want them to do with the tap water in Bangkok let alone what they might find in the street!) I am not sure you want to put a 14 month old on anti-malarial drugs, and I am not sure it is wise for a child that young to be here without them. You might want to speak to people who have taken toddlers on similar long trips and see their experience. I always recall my friends in Singapore who took their 18 month old twins on what they thought would be a great holiday to New Zealand, and ended up spending more time in doctor's offices than anywhere else.. .(kids picked up colds on the airplane, food allergies, etc)

There are so many great destinations in Europe that are quick and easy to do from the UK and that are great for kids, I personally would save the Far East until your child is a little older and more travel-proof. If you really are set on Asia, then I would pick Hong Kong, and would do it in the cooler winter months from late October through March. November and December are particularly nice. Chinese New Year is always interesting as well, usually Jan or Feb, although temps can actually be quite cool then. If not Hong Kong, then a beach area in Thailand would be another thought, like Phuket or Koh Samui. The east coast of Malaysia is also beautiful, you could fly into Singapore and rent a car and drive up from there. For Phuket I would avoid the rainy months, so avoid May through about mid-November (generally some months are better than others). For Samui and the east coast of Malaysia, they are best from late Feb through end September or mid-October. Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com for historical average temps and rainfall.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:04 AM

yogibear - I've found a previous thread on travelling with toddlers in Asia - see below. I posted on there about the planning for our trip and all the considerations we took into account. There are also a number of website details on there for message boards specifically relating to travelling with children.

Best wishes

BB

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34701290