Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advantages/disadvantages travel to Hong Kong over Bangkok

Nov 16th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Peter

We will only have the time and money to visit either Hong Kong or Bangkok on our trip next month to Asia and was wondering what the people on this travel messge board think. Which place is more interesting? Scenic? Which has more places to visit within a short day trip? Which has better weather in December? Which is more exotic?

Thanks for your advice!

Nov 16th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Julie

In Baqngkok the people are nicer, the people in Hong Kong rarely smile.

Though I would go with Hong Kong!

Weather in Hong Kong 70 degrees and sunny in early December, Bangkok 95 and smoggy!

Scenery: Bangkok flat and treeless. Hong Kong is 80% natural area and very green outside the built up urban areas. Lots of mountains and viewpoints in Hong Kong, flat in Bangkok.

PLaces to see within a days time. Also a vote for Hong Kong. We liked the New Territories and the various rural islands just a ferry boat away from Hong Kong Island. Macau was very interesting and the return boat trip back into Hong Kong Island at night was unbelievable.

I also found Hong Kong more exotic.

Nov 16th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Kathie

Well, I'd vote for Bangkok. I find Bangkok much more interesting than Hong Kong. I'd stay along the river, and visit some of the main temples by water taxi. A day trip to the old capital is another river trip, and more interesting than anything I saw in Hong Kong. Prices are much lower in Bangkok, both for lodging and food and for shopping.

Hong Kong is a bustling, modern city, and I've enjoyed my stays there, but Bangkok is a more interesting and exotic destination.

Nov 16th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Marilyn

Definitely Bangkok, unless your primary interest is shopping for western clothes. There is so much more to do in Bangkok -- the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, shopping too. A day trip will get you to Ayutthaya (sp?) an ancient temple site.

Weather might be better in HK, but Bangkok is definitely more exotic.

Nov 16th, 2002, 02:42 PM
orgy7

bangkok.. it's a thousend times more exotic.. the temples the monks walking along the streets.. yes actually the people do smile its not a propoganda "thailand the land of smiles"..

The floating market seems too be cool..

both are HIGH enerty cities.. I enjoy Hong Kong but it's wicked expensive.

Nov 16th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Dan

I think both cities are interesting and exotic in different ways. Therefore it really depends what you are looking for and how much time you have.

Bangkok is hot thoroughout the year (around 25-30 celcius I believe). I am not sure what day trip you can do in Bangkok (cause I usually stay in the hotel, also shop and dine around the city). About places to visit, you can see a lot of temples and the spending should be lower there compare to Hong Kong.

In Hong Kong, December should be sunny, temperature around 15-20 celcius. Lots of food and shopping. And for day trip, you can escape from the busy urban area to the outlying Islands, the New Territories or Macau. December should give you decent weather to hike around the rural area.

Have a nice trip!

Nov 16th, 2002, 09:39 PM
John G

Hong Kong is more exotic than Bangkok???????? Have you really been to both cities?? Hong Kong is a great city, but I would hardly call it exotic. It is a great city to shop and eat, but that is about it. HK doesn't have the wats that Bangkok has, nor does it have the equivalent of the Royal Palace or the National Museum. (I have been to HK 3 times.) I would definitely rather experience Bangkok than HK.

Nov 17th, 2002, 01:22 AM
fiona

John
sounds like you have only been to the city. And even then there is certainly the exotic if you look.Move away from the main streets and experience a different culture.
Go to Aberdeen; see the junks where people have spent their lives; visit the town which, at the time we went, seems to have no tourists - experience the sights and the smells!
Peter
Re Julies comment about people in HK rarely smiling- I would agree but would add that the people of HK are the most helpful and polite people I have come across. Everytime we took out our guidebook or map to study somebody would stop and ask if they could help.
Having said all that Bangkok has certainly got more spectacular sights! You can't beat the Grand Palace for splendour( it's almost obscene when there is so much poverty around it).
If cost is a major factor then it would have to be Bangkok.Accomodation and food prices are almost ridiculously low.Hong Kong is one of the most expensive cities in the world. However we did not spend as much as we'd thought we would in HK. The reason being that there is no real need to book trips. You can do them on your own. The transport system is brilliant(unlike BK which is a nightmare. Going to the ancient capital of Ayatthaya, it took us almost 2 hours just to get out of the city! You spend most of the time at a standstill.)
Not sure about the weather in December.
How long are you planning to stay? 4-5 days in either place is as much as you would probably want.

Nov 17th, 2002, 04:42 AM
James

I have been to both cities many times.

Hong Kong is a better place to visit. Here is why:

Better scenery. The outer islands are beautiful. Lots of green up in the hills and better views.

Less poverty in Hong Kong. People have more money so the services are better and building fancy and wonderful to look at. More sidewalks for walking and more attractions.

Weather in Hong Kong in December in the 60 and 70s perfect for touring. Bangkok is in the 90s with incredible smog and water pollution.

The other parts of China is nearby Hong Kong.

The only advantage to Bangkok is the prices, it is dirt cheap.

Nov 17th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Liz

I do agree to the previous posts that HK has a lot more to offer other than the metropolitan lifestyle in the urban area. Take a trip to the outlying Islands, or the Buddha in Lantau- it's totally different than the urban center. Or take a walk along the waterfront in Tsim Sha Tsui/the Peak in the evening, the harbour view is spectacular! Afterall, I think both cities are worthwhile to visit and they offer two really distinct travel experiences. Hopefully you can go to both!

Nov 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Nan

We have just returned from a trip to both Bangkok and Hong Kong. Although we enjoyed both places we would choose Bangkok. It is more unusual, the people were wonderful and there is so much to do. We were there a week and a half ago and the weather was warm (mid 80's) and very comfortable. We stayed at the Marriott Resort a little out of the city and felt we had the best of both worlds. Every 15 minutes a boat takes you into the central city. It was reasonable and the service extraordinary! There are so many places to see, on your own or on a tour.

Nov 18th, 2002, 10:25 AM
bill

December is a good time to visit Bangkok. How long are you staying. My vote is for Hong Kong.