Bangkok, Hong Kong and India Travelogue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge thanks and kudos to everyone for posting such excellent advice on this site. In return, I am posting links to the travelogue and photos of our May 2006 trip:

epinigis.wordpress.com
epinigis.photosite.com

Hope you enjoy and thanks again.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:19 AM

Very nice write up, and really beautiful pictures! On the section on Hong Kong, I do find a few things:

- 1st paragraph: I think the "lakes" you see from the plane or highplaces in Hong Kong are man-made reservoirs. They vary in sizes and can be found in all parts of Hong Kong.

- 2nd paragraph: SARS has not returned and is considered over. Right now, they're worrying about avian flu.

- 4th paragraph: I think you mean walking <b>west</b> from the Ferry to the ifc mall, and then <b>north</b> towards SOHO.

- 9th paragraph: The name of the shop where you find the chops is Yue Hwa. Without the &quot;n&quot;.

- last paragraph: Your CX flight from HKG to LAX heads NE from HKG. You will not fly over Indonesia.

Anyways, I enjoyed the blog a lot. Nice report.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM

Thanks for a nice report! You really got to see some of India off the beaten path. Too bad the Calcutta entry is so awful.

After our travels and talking to others, I'd never fly Indian Air. Jet, though, was great!

I take it the angelic little blond girl in the photos is Emily. No wonder she attracted attention; she's adorable!

Thanks again,

Lucy
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM

Sorry, I mean going <b>south</b> to SOHO. I'm making the same mistake - south south south.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Rkkwan - Thanks for your observations which aren't surprising as a lot of our guidance for Hong Kong came from your detailed posts.

Lucy - I'm glad you enjoyed the post. And yes - our child model is Emily!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Rkkwan - BTW, if you know of any HK employers seeking a seasoned web analyst or manufacturing engineer, we'd like to know. No, seriously.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the report. Your travels with a young child were certainly ambitious. It was fun to read about a part of India that gets little exposure.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

In the large cities, we were concerned about our daughter's health, whereas in India, we were primarily concerned about safety. For example, we got an ID bracelet from www.mypreciouskid.com with an insertable sleeve for our cell phone and hotel address (in the local language). I also took two wrist keychains and locked the rings together to create &quot;cuffs&quot;. That way, we knew that she was nearby without holding hands constantly. We used this in crowded markets and trains.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Many thanks for sharing your travelogue as well as photos. I thoroughly enjoyed them and was really blown away by your photos of HK, especially at night! They were stunning. My family and I went to BKK and Siem Reap last December, 2005 and are planning to go to China in May-June of 2007, including a last stopover in HK. May I ask what part of May were you in HK, and how did you find the weather there for that part of year as May is said to be a drizzly season there?

And yes, my hats off to you to adventure with your sweet Emily...she seems unusually mature and capable for her age...not all families could take on your trip, even with kids much older (our 2 daughters are of young adult age now). You are fortunate to have more traveling in your future with such a great young traveler in your family!

Terry
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Terry, We were there May 25 for two nights. The first 2 days were partly cloudy; the last day had intermittent light (LIGHT) rain. We didn't even bother with an umbrella. The advantage was that the temperature was reasonable (80s?). Our Canon A610 had a very slow night exposure and we didn't have a tripod, so we used an old photographer's trick - rested it against a light pole. And yes, the night time view of the Hong Kong skyline will leave your jaw hanging for quite some time.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Thanks so much for your response...and most of all, for your interesting report (I really appreciated your various headings) and photos.

Terry
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Terry - Thanks so much for the positive feedback!