Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Still confuse about going to Bangkok on April 18-HELP

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Bangkok april 18 from Montreal, Quebec for one week to attend the Gift Trade show, went last october and loved it. The yellow shirts were protesting at the time and I had no problem went everywhere. This time I am a bit less sure , if I listen to the news
I should not go, but they tend to exagerate.I am staying at the Marriott Resort and Spa
which is not where the riots are. I would appreciate feedback if it is still OK to go.
Eve
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM

I am going on the 20th! I stay in the Sukhumvit area, but I think it is possible to avoid the problems if one is smart. My son is already there; he tells me to come over.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM

You are the only one who can decide whether you are comfortable going.

The demonstrations are not close to where you are staying, they are mostly in the area of the Government House.

The situation is volatile, and you should keep yourself well informed about what is happening.

Carol has been to Bangkok many times and feels comfortable going. If it were me (and it isn't) I'd also be likely to go, but that doesn't mean that's what is right for you.

You may want to wait until the last minute to decide. I expect your airline would let you reschedule.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM

You will almost certainly have no problem at the Marriott, or at any other similar hotel.

The problems that you could encounter would be in traveling from one place to another, including to/from the airport. Last year, don't forget, it was impossible to get to/from the airport for several days because of similar political unrest. It is very unlikely that you would be in physical danger; however, it is certainly a possibility that you could experience significant inconveniences.

There are no guarantees. I am willing to bet that all of the people who say "it's ok to go" would have said exactly the same thing in the days before the airport was closed last year.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM

And to expand on Kathie's thoughts: Some people are perfectly comfortable more or less paying not much attention to the political squabbling going on about them, and they're comfortable going with the flow when their plans need to change because of some demonstration that's going on. Other people will become extremely concerned over street demonstrations and similar goings on, and they would be uncomfortable if their travel plans are jeopardized.

If you're in the latter group, I think it's a good idea to seriously reconsider travel plans.

And definitely avoid watching a video of "The Year of Living Dangerously."
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM

go and enjoy....those shows are toooo good to miss and so is the marriott!!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM

No problems at the Marriott. Your only real risk is that the airport closes.

You might get stuck somewhere, but you will be safe.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM

There has been no attempt to involve the tourist or foreigners in Thailand. This is a domestic matter which might spill over into the tourist areas like the current closure of the shopping malls etc but do keep following the local news for warnings.

When you go to the BIG fair do try and go during the trading days and then again during the public days. The displays changes a lot!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Things should be fine now. I have read from Bangkok Post an hour ago. Red-shirts leader has already announced to end the protest in Bangkok! And Sonkran will be exptended until this Friday!
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...isperse-leader
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM

More info on the trade show, please... hanuman, I think this is the same one you attended a year ago... right? I'd be interested in attending, maybe? Where do that have it? Hours? Public days? I wonder if my friend Lars (Paradox) is going to be setting up there again?

Evelyne, do have a wonderful time!

Carol
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Carol,

Yes this is the same fair that I mentioned last year and I've been to the fair since they first started around 9 - 10 years ago x 2 per year!

Paradox normally join the Foodex fair but maybe they will join this year's BIG fair. In the past you could find really nice and unique items but now I find the items more ordinary with only a few rare find. Still worth going IMO.

Link for the Imact Convention Center: http://www.impact.co.th/direction.php

Link for the BIG fair: http://www.thaitradefair.com/2009/big/
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Hanuman,
Thanks for those links. Maybe I can get Maeng to join me... We shall see.
Carol