Staying Connected While On Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm preparing to head out on an 18 day vacation to SE Asia. While I'm excited, I'm a bit nervous to leave my real estate business for this long. I'll have a team of people backing me up while away, but it's always hard for me to let go. Which is one of the reasons why I need a vacation. I'll have my laptop so I can stay in touch via email. My mobile provider is Sprint, and I utilize an iPhone 5. The per minute cost to use my phone should the need arise is around $3 per minute. Are there more cost effective options other than my current phone? For example, could I rent a phone? Or, is it basically a wash or not worth the hassle and just buck it up.

I'll be in Bali for 5 days and then cruising throughout Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 05:50 AM

For Thailand calling the USA is around 7 - 9 Baht, US$0.20 - 0.30, per minute with good clear connections. You can also add data packages to your prepaid SIM card and the speed will be around 3 - 5 mbs. Micro SIMs, for the iPhone 5 or 5S, are easy to find. The company with the best coverage for Thailand is AIS.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 06:44 AM

Make sure your iphone is unlocked though, or you cannot just insert a SIM card from AIS (or which ever carrier... I use DTAC) to work!
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 06:45 AM

Let me suggest you take a vacation and not stay connected by phone. While you can buy a local sim and the cost is reasonable (is your iphone unlocked?) this is supposed to be a vacation. Give yourself some time off. Trust your employees let them do their jobs. They can give you a daily email report - or not.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 06:55 AM

Forgot that most phone in the US are locked!
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're taking your laptop you can use Skype for phone calls.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:09 AM

If your phone is not able to be unlocked (as some sprint phones are, though I think the iphone 5 is) then you can also put the Skype app on your phone and use it when the phone is connected to wifi.
The only thing is that it makes it harder for people to call you, but it is easy for you to call them.
My guess is that with the time difference you'll be able to handle 99% of your issues via email rather than via phone anyway.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Yes, my iPhone is unlocked.

Skype is a really good idea. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 02:22 PM

I agree with Kathie. Take a vacation from your job. You've hired good people; just let them know it's okay to call you anytime. Or make a specific call schedule -- call days and no-call days.

SIM cards are very cheap in Bali and for sale all over, but be aware it will be a different number from your US number.

You can also use the Indonesian SIM account to connect to wifi and 3G service which allows you to receive email and use Skype on your phone. You might want to consider leaving your laptop at home, as it's just one more thing to lug around and worry about -- cords and security and whatnot.

I live in Bali and use Skype (on my iPhone) exclusively for overseas calls. You get some disconnects, but as long as you have a reliable wifi or 3G connection, the overall call quality is better than cell service or land lines.

You do know that you can get Skype on your cellphone and that you can use it to call regular phones (@ non-Skype numbers)? I have no idea what happens when you're on the cruise.

So take a deep breath and enjoy the distance -- both geographic and mental -- from Indonesia to your office. Make the leap of faith that the house won't burn down while you're away. I was always the idiot pacing up and down the beach shouting into my cellphone. Now I see how ridiculous and unnecessary it was.