Stay near the airport or in the city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone I hope I can get some good advice. I am traveling to the Philippines in less than two weeks. I set up a layover for two nights in Hong Kong. This will be my first time in Hong Kong. I am scheduled to arrive at 6:30 PM and leave two days later at 8:30 AM. My question is about where I should stay. Is it better to stay at a hotel near the airport or in the city?

I am concerned about getting to the airport on time if I stay in the city. Will traffic be a problem? I have read there is a train to the airport, is that an option for leaving in the morning? How much would a taxi cost and is that the best option? How long does a tax or train (if that is an option) take to get to the airport?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can take a few minutes to answer these questions.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Stay in the city. Getting to airport is not an issue with train, taxi, or even bus. Train takes just over 20 minutes and you can check-in at the station. Taxi takes about 30-40 minutes from most hotels in the city, cost about HK$250-300
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM

No question --stay in the city as rkkwan advises. Connections are so well organized in HK that we have opted to go into the city for a much, much shorter layover than yours.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the quick response. You have relieved a lot of the worries I had about staying in the city. Now to figure out where to stay in the city
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Good decision! I like the Kowloon side, personally, as it is easy to walk around and find shopping/dining and people watching. Plus you can take the ferry over to HK Island for a trip to the Peak for the view.

Have a great time. I just did a 1-night stayover in HKG on my way to BKK and don't regret it a bit!
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 09:00 PM

I personally like the Salisbury, YMCA Hotel in Kowloon. Fantastic location near waterfront, convenient to airport express train and other transport, good prices, good rooms (not fancy). Kowloon is great because it has the fantastic view over to the island and the 8:00 PM sound and light show. I have some info in a Trip Report from a few days ago.