Stay at the Royal Park Hotel Haneda

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay at the Royal Park Hotel Haneda

I have an long 12 hr 25 min layover in Tokyo Haneda Airport in June. I was just booked the Royal Park Hotel which I believe is inside the airport. However we are a family of 5. My kids are 12, 12, and 9 and aren't very large. So, I just booked 1 room for the 5 of us and didn't list my youngest. Do you think this will be ok or do you think they will give me a hard time about it? We just wanted a place to rest and relax and it shouldn't be problem for the 5 of us in 1 room. TIA!
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 09:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
One should never (ever) try to 'sneak' in a person - you need to call the hotel and ask them if it is OK. Lots of reasons a 5th person might not be allowed -- fire regulations being just one.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 10:16 AM

I very much doubt it would be a problem for such a short layover. It is quite commonplace in hotels in Asia. In Tokyo last month whilst waiting for the elevator I counted 8 Chinese tourists leaving a room opposite!
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 12:01 AM

Many hotels in Asia require copies of the passports for all guests. I would just admit to the extra kids when checking in.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:10 AM

The hotel is at International Passenger Terminal 3. As for kids, typically they require a bed and charge for a child 6 yrs and over. It's up to the hotel and what to do, but don't be too surprised if you are given an extra charge.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 07:16 PM

Ditto to what lcuy and Adastra 2200 said.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 12:46 PM

IIUC, you booked for four people but will have five. Japanese room rates are often based on the number of occupants.

I took a look at their website. That hotel has family rooms for 4-6 ;people. I suggest you book one of those and specify 5 people. If you got one of those for four people then you should expect to pay about 25% more than the price you got for 4 people. Plus there might be some kind of arrangement for a 5th person that won't be made if you booked for four, like an extra bed. If you book a family room for 4 then you might end up with a twin room.

Here is their website: https://www.the-royalpark.jp/the/tokyohaneda/en/
I chose Feb 28-29, 2 adults, and did a search.

On the next page you can choose the number of people per room. If you select 4 and search then you see that you book a twin room or a family room. If you select 5 persons and search then you see only the family room and the price is higher due to the additional guest.

When you search for four, the twin room option has 4 single beds, same as the family room option.
When you search for five, the family room has the 4 singles and an extra bed for the 5th person.

-----
Booking dot com has different room descriptionns. It doesn't have the family room. One option is Deluxe Twin for 4 people. It has 2 twin beds. There is also a Superior Twin with 2 twins and a sofa bed.

The Deluxe Twin description says: This is a deluxe type twin room that can accommodate a maximum of 4 guests, if requested at the time of booking. Extra beds will be prepared for the 3rd and 4th adult.

The Superior Twin that has the sofa bed says: This is a twin room that can accommodate up to 3 guests, if requested at the time of booking. An extra bed will be prepared for the 3rd adult.

Whatever the case, I recommend that you rebook for 5 or advise the hotel in advance that you will have 5 not 4.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Feb 24th, 2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
I very much doubt it would be a problem for such a short layover. It is quite commonplace in hotels in Asia. In Tokyo last month whilst waiting for the elevator I counted 8 Chinese tourists leaving a room opposite!
They may have had multiple rooms, or connected rooms, or visitors and were having a party. Maybe they were cheating and all 8 stayed in the one room at a 1-person rate.

What is commonplace elsewhere in Asian is not necessarily common in Japan. The Japanesk have rules and they tend to follow them. That is one of the beauties of Japan. Don't cut in line. Don't litter. Family rooms are fairly common in Japan and families book them.

In Japan, try to learn and do things the Japanese Way. When you are in China then you can do what the Chinese do.

Booking for 4 and showing up with 5 might indeed be no problem. You might even get an apology for making you wait for the 5th bed to arrive, but you are still going to pay.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:38 AM

Oh, I just noticed the "rest and relax" intent and maybe you don't really need or want a 5th bed. After looking at booking dot com I was convinced that you were not trying to sneak or cheat. That site (probably others) don't show an option for 5 people in one room even though the hotel does have such accommodation. So you book what you can and that is 1 room for 4 and then wonder if that is ok.

I would e-mail the hotel to avoid any surprises for anyone. I would fully expect a reply in English from a hotel at an international airport. Forward the e-mail with your reservattion details and explain the situation. Ask about options - even if it is a pre-paid, no-refund. I would ask about a day rate, if applicable, consideringTt that your time at the hotel will be some hours than that 12h+ transfer time.

The Haneda Excel is the hotel at terminal 2 but the RPH is very close.

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:08 PM

”Oh, I just noticed the "rest and relax" intent and maybe you don't really need or want a 5th bed" . Indeed which is why I suggested they need not worry about it.

As for “In Japan, try to learn and do things the Japanese Way. When you are in China then you can do what the Chinese do.” I would agree if we were discussing mainstream city or resort hotels but I don’t believe this is especially relevant when talking about an airport hotel which IME operate very different business model.