Search

Sri Lanka vs. Kerala (Jan/Feb).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for reasons to visit Sri Lanka as opposed to Kerala, India (in late January/February). My main interest lies in landscape photography, natural viewpoints/vistas, and inexpensive, quality local food. I am looking for pleasant weather as well, that's why I picked Sri Lanka/India (in winter time).

From my research, there's not that many amazing pictures from Sri Lanka. Do you know how beautiful the country is post-tsunami?

Thanks
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM

'From my research, there's not that many amazing pictures from Sri Lanka. Do you know how beautiful the country is post-tsunami?'

Well, Sandy, as you know, the tsunami swept over the whole of Sri Lanka. There was not an inch left unscathed, so, of course the country is taking a while to get back on its feet.

The tea district has just recovered and the first new flush has been picked. All the palm trees on the island, were, as you know, washed away - so there are no trees higher than a couple of feet anywhere yet, but progress is being made.

The national parks are starting to recover. Wilpattu, last time I heard, was taking tours in to see the three ducks that survived.

Most of Kandy was washed away, to my great sadness - but I believe that Lord Buddha's golden tooth still survives. The caretaker of the ruins has it in a matchbox and will bring it out for ten rupees.

Accomodation is not a problem tho' - a mate of mine is running a caravan park in Galle. Amazingly, some of these very caravans travelled on the wave all the way from Thailand and were found, completely unharmed, resting in the tops of trees near Anuradhapura.

I believe there is now some sand on the beaches. As part of the N.G.O. operation after the tsunami a couple of lorry-loads were dumped outside Hikkaduwa. Unfortunately, Hikkaduwa had moved quite a long way inland. They've relocated it now and it can be reached on the Kandy to Hatton train line.

If only there some trains left.

I hope this answers part of your question.

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Oh - you mean you want a proper answer?

The tsunami in Sri Lanka was a terrible thing, with terrible loss of life. It was nearly 4 years ago. The water, at its worst, travelled maybe a kilometer inland on the west and south coasts, then receeded. Most places the wave came inland only a few hundred meters - but, of course, many people were living in that strip by the beach.

You'll see evidence of that on the coastal road. The other 99.98% of Sri Lanka was physically untouched.

So, probably, it's just as beautiful now, as it ever was.

Oh, there's a bit of bang, bang, biffo going on there. Did you know?
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Not that many amazing pictures from Sri Lanka? Really?? Have you looked?

You might be interested in my Sri Lanka trip report from a year ago /www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=27&tid=35091610

Anf you might be interested in some amazing photos of Sri Lanka from a year ago. www.marlandc.com
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM

More Sri Lanka photos:

http://craigandjeane.smugmug.com/gal...69231457_m9TCY

and another trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35113075
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

After looking over the photos, flicker as well, I must say the natural scenary is not superior. I guess I will go to Kerala, unless you know where I can find really amazing photos from Sri lanka? I need to know they exit, so I can go there and see those places myself
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Sandy, can you give us an example of what you are looking for? I can't see where Kerala is any more or less "amazing" than Sri Lanka.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

If you type "Sri Lanka" in Flickr search, or Google/Yahoo image search, the pictures are NOT beautiful, even if you tie it in with Sri lanka nature, but if you type Kerala, they are on average, better naturally inspiring pictures.

Sounds to me you are the stupid traveler for not realizing that on your own.

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Hmmm, too bad Dogster's post was deleted, making you look like the stupid one. So long sandy...