Seminyak Hotel/Villa

Search

Seminyak Hotel/Villa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seminyak Hotel/Villa

My fiance and I will be in Seminyak for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon in October 2009. I'm trying to decide between the Anantara Seminyak, the Samaya and The Legian. We'd like total luxury and romance, but don't want complete and total quiet.

Which would you reccomend?
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Forget about the Anantara. It is not in the same league as the other two, and it is a bit stark, and further away from where you want to be in Seminyak.

Both the Legian and the Samaya would be great choices. We stayed at the Samaya and loved it, and will return. The website well presents the property. It is beautiful, intimate but with great service, a terrific pool and right on the ocean. The hotel is comprised of individual villas with plunge pools (or larger) and you have total privacy. The landscaping is very well done, as is the new spa. The Legian is essentially next door almost. It is more of a small high rise, and a bit more corporate in feeling, but also beautiful. Look the two over and then decide. The beach in front of both is wide, with good waves and lots to simply watch. Sunsets are fantastic.

Seminyak has what we thought was the best restaurants and shopping on the island. Taxis are also cheap and you can visit other areas easily. Have fun. Bali is fantastic.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM

js, The Legian and Samaya are right next to each other. The Anatara is about 1/2 mile North. In my opinion the beach location is more or less the same for all three. You're either within walking distance or a short taxi ride of everything in Seminyak.

I haven't been inside the Anatara so can't comment.

I've been staying at the Legian for more than 12 years and I've never been disappointed. It's a beautiful property and the management runs it flawlessly. The aesthetic is very sophisticated and understated.

I'd describe the Legian as apartment-like. There are four blocks each 3 stories (4 floors in American). I like to get a corner suite on the top floor -- 431 or 131 -- which has big private balconies with lovely views of the sea.

If the one bedrooms are out of your budget, the studios are fine too. They all have balconies, seating areas, kitchenettes, nice big bathrooms.

If you're really in the high roller category the beach house is quite nice. I'm not a fan of the Legian villas. They're in a beautiful garden setting but I like to be right on the ocean.

The pool is not too big but has wonderful infinity ledge for staring out to sea. The grounds are shady and quiet. The pool attendents will set you up on the beach, at the pool, under a palmtree -- whatever your heart desires. They have beach barbeques and sunset jazz.

The restaurant is wonderful for breakfast. I think there are better choices in the area for dinner. We often take lunch at the beach cafe.

I watched (and unfortunately listened to) the Samaya being built over the years. It seems to have matured into a good option for villas on the beach. They're actually set back in the garden so you don't get the same panoramic view that you get at the Legian and I'd miss that.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Correction: The Anatara is about 1/2 mile SOUTH.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. I think we've eliminated the Anantara so now it's down to the Samaya or Legian. I've read on some other boards that the Legian may be getting a bit old and dated. Is that the case?
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:14 AM

They maintain The Legian very well .Its decor is quite classic and neutral .

What I like is the excellent concierge , Bose sound system ,DVD player , thick ,thick towels , kitchenette to make coffee etc , lovely pillows , higher than normal ceilings and sense of space .

And every suite has a balcony , or two , with superb ocean views .

Hard to beat in my view for the $ .
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. At the moment we've reserved a Superior Suite at the Legian, but that could change as we hear more opinions. We've also booked the Chedi Club in Ubud, but I'm also having trouble deciding if we should keep that or switch to the Four Seasons Sayan.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM

May I suggest that you also look at the Aman Hotels .Amandari in Ubud is undergoing a refurbishment .Lovely setting . I do not know the Chedi ( I did when it was at a different hotel and lovely ).

In terms of eating subscribe ( free ) to www.balieats.com which gives you all the latest hotspots to eat etc and balidiscovery.com which is a newsletter about what is going on .
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Although a terrific property, the Chedi Club has no view, other than of rice fields, which are all over Bali. For that reason I would look to someplace overlooking the Ayung River Valley, or similar. Also, the drive from Seminyak to Ubud is not very far, about an hour or so.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Re Legian: Generally speaking I go with new versus old in the tropics as heat and humidity require constant counter-action. The Legian is fairly well maintained. Hey, it's still Indonesia, not Switzerland (though the managers are usually Swiss!. People get distracted.

The design is definitely contemporary with Balinese inspiration. Most of it works beautifully, some is annoying.

I think the main question that you would ask when choosing between the Legian and, say, the Samaya or Four Seasons or a private villa is do you want a room with a view in an apartment like building or do you want an insular villa like environment?

In my work I get a constant stream of visitors who often ask for recommendations in Bali. They're quite sophisiticated travelers and everyone has been pleased with the Legian.

Well, I'm beginning to sound like I own the place. (I should, considering the amount of money I've sunk there over the years. I'm spending Thanksgiving there and I'll let you know if there's been any downward turn.

Ubud: Ubud is harder to recommend. Every place has definite pros and cons. I agree with tengo on the Chedi. When the same group that owns the Legian took over a few years back they tried their darnest to renovate and I'm sure the service is very good but, in my opinion, the property's a dud.

There are several good choices on the Ayung River valley: Amandari, Kayumanis, Kupukupu Barong, Four Seasons, Como Shambhala. They all have wonderful views, good service, a magical environment.

I always get a suite at the Alila -- another stunning (albeit quirky) property -- with the same views etc. I don't wholeheartedly recommend it, however, as the management tends to waver.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM

The Alila used to be the Chedi marmot ? When I stayed there not long after it openned ( 10+ years ago ? ) the chef was the fiancee of the chef at The Legian suites and it was all really good .