sri lanka, colombo, help

Search

sri lanka, colombo, help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sri lanka, colombo, help

yep this is one of the last places on earth I was planning too go. but have too take care of some business there.. anywho...

I would like some info on hotels for $30 - $75

also am intersted in some places too check out in the city.. I will be in town for 5 days so should have time too wonder around..

thanks
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM

first of all, they do not like red so don't wear the T shirt for which you are famous on nana...
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM

I know of 2 boutqiue hotels, Havelock Place and Apa Colombo but do not know if they will fit in your budget. U can also check Taj Samudra. Generally prices are quite down post tsunami so not sure how cheap stuff is. COlombo is a great city to wander around by foot or auto rickshaw. I hires an auto rickshaw by day for the princely sum of US$10 and he drove me around, helped me with bags, etc. Go to the Galle Face Hotel one day, perhpas early evening and enjoy the fantastic setting with the ocean lapping against the shore. The one stop shop for all things export reject and reasonable is Odel. Wander through the museum and the famed cricket ground.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

actually now that the civil war is flaring up a bit I've seen some good deals on hotels most of your 4-5 stars are going for $75 thats why I'm considering them (good value)..

hobbes, thanks for the 2 hotel options I've yet too see them on my reaserch.. I'll check them out now..
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

rhknk, actually you may have saved my life.. I kind of forgot that the tamill tigers color is red and many rebels do wear red shirts.. I don't mind too much goiong into hot spots but wearing "milatery gear" while travaling is not the safest thing in the world..
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:29 PM

If you're not too-too fussy, the Grand Oriental Hotel might suit you. I stayed there in Feb and paid USD50 with breakfast. The location is not as good as Galle Face and not as comfortable but is very oldie worldie with huge rooms, just a bit rundown now. Must have been fantastic back in the 30's and 40's. A travel agent has an office inside and was very reasonable and much cheaper than the one inside the Mount Lavinia Hotel where we also stayed.
A good shop for cottons is Barefoot, 704 Galle Road, they have a little cafe out back.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:16 PM

hallo
have a lunch or beer at the Cricket Club if you can't get enough of that old colonial feel...!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

thanks for info..

So how is the taxi situation in colombo... im looking to get the cheepest option. but I arive at 11:45 PM from bangkok.
------------------
lol. ME fussy. I guess yoy havnt read one of my million posts on this forum..

right now Im looking at splitting time in a cheep guesthouse less then $10 and staying at the hilton (to top-up some FF miles on one of my programs and get some gym time)

----------
I personly can't stand that old colonial feel. (or good old slavery days feel) but thanks for bringing up option about the cricket club maybe I could catch a couple of days of a test match.. (NO i have no clue what Im talking about ) but checking the game out seems like something ta do.. ohh ya beer is a good thing to.

==========

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 02:18 AM

I wonder if the Hilton can pick you up?
There are taxis - we arrived around the same time and our taxi journey was fine.

yeah, do try to catch a cricket match - we saw Australia vs Sri Lanka - the cheering Aussies were sheer entertainment alone!