Sri Lanka tour and hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to travel in Sri Lanka next month and have the following itinerary. Could
anyone suggest additions, subtractions or hotel
substitutions. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Day 1. Colombo to Dambulla. Hotel: Cinnamon Lodge
Day 2. Cinnamon Lodge
Day 3. Travel to Kandy. Hotel: Mahaveli Reach
Day 4 Nuwara Eliya. Hotel: Grand Hotel
Day 5. Yala. Hotel: Elephant Reach
Day 6. Kaluthara. Hotel: Royal Palms

Our remaining 5 days will be spent in the Maldives and we are trying to decide between
Embudu Village, Bandos Island, Bolifushi Island, Dhonveli Beach.

In and out of Colombo, our hotel will be Trans Asia.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Although I have not been to Sri Lanka yet, I have done considerable research for my trip next February. You are trying to accomplish way too much. Getting around Sri Lanka takes time. With the exception of Day 2, your itinerary has you traveling from one hotel to another without any time in between. I am doing essentially the same route as you have chosen but taking 12 days to do it rather than 6. And, quite honestly, I'd like to have a day or two more. I would skip the Maldives all together, if I were you.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Like Craig, we have a trip planned but haven't been yet. We're going in November. I agree you are trying to cover way too much territory in too litle time. You'll spend all of your time in a car. Either cut way back on the number of places you are visiting or cut the Maldives and spend all of your time in Sri Lanka.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:38 AM

Agree, it's all too much. I spent 9 days in Sri Lanka last week, saw less than you did, and was a bit rushed.

And if you are heading to the maldives primarily to go to a beach resort, how about one of those in Sri Lanka, since you're there already?

By the way, the Rough Guide to SL is much better than Lonely Planet's.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Hi "foodsmarts",

Good choice of hotels. Agree with others comments - Sri Lanka is an easy paced place, take a little more time if you can. Especially one night in Yala and then on to Kalutara is way too much. Yala to Kalutara is a beautiful but tiring 6 hour drive along the southern coastline.

Regards
Mohammed
(Sri Lanka)

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM

I agree with the previous posts that you are doing way too much in such little time and you have proberbly missed a few of the absolute highlights.
The Elephant orphanage in Pinawella on route to Kandy is a absolute must see as is Sigirya rock.
I would cut out the Yala trip. We spent 8 hours getting there to see 3 elephants and a fleeting glimpse of a leopard. If you had more time it would be worthwhile but I would trade it for bottle feeding a baby elephant and bathing them in a river anyday.
Climbing Sigirya rock was a real spiritual experieince for me but it is not for the faint hearted. It is a difficult 2 hour climb but on the way you see some amazing frescos and the story of why the fortress on top was built and how it was built is akin the the story of the pyramids.
You could do both of these,overnight in Kandy, Dambulla and Nuwara Eliya and get an amazing experience