Search

Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sri Lanka

Does anyone have the name of a quality, U.S.-based company that has tours to Sri Lanka?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Why do you want a tour?

There is really no need for a tour in Sri Lanka unless that is the way you prefer to travel. We booked our hotels and a car and driver though Boutique Sri Lanka which we thought was really the way to do it.

If you haven't read my trip report, click on my name and you'll find it under my trip reports.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Asia Transpacific Journeys has resumed operating organized tours of Sri Lanka:
http://www.asiatranspacific.com/ATJ/...x?id=sri-lanka
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Kathie, did you consider using 'Sri Lanka In Style' for your trip? I did a search here, but can't seem to find any information about the company.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Femi, I didn't find Sri Lanka in Style until I was well-along in my planning. The woman who was managing the Kandy House is/was involved in it in some way. I also haven't read any reviews by anyone who has used them.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Sri Lanka In Style is highly reputed in S.L. Expensive but good. Top end tourism with a young go-ahead team playing the monied market. The O.P. doesn't make it clear whether they want a group tour or a guided single tour. If it's the latter, there's no need to go thru a U.S. based company. Deal direct. Your U.S. company is just going to sell you on, anyway.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 01:49 AM

We had a very good experience with red dot tours in 2006.
http://www.reddottours.com/
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks Dogster. Although still a few months away from making initial enquiries (again), I think I've narrowed my choices down to Sri Lanka in Style and Jetwing. As this trip would involve time in only one country, I'm ok with using a local operator. ATJ would be my third choice.

I'm off to take a look at Reddot now...
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Femi, can you say what is attracting you to Sri Lanka in Style or Jetwing as your first choices? I looked at Red Dot before my trip, but they were substantially more expensive than BSL.

(shhh... don't tell anyone, but one of the many options I'm exploring for this year's big trip is a return to Sri Lanka)
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM

You made me break out in a HUGE grin Kathie! Can't wait to hear about your plans (our secret

I settled on Sri Lanka in Style for no better reason than I liked the layout of their website the best. I know it's easy to go wrong with this method, but so far my gut feel has been proven correct (Argentina, South Africa, Nicaragua, and hopefully Guatemala) when it comes to using local operators. The next step in the process is getting a feel for how well they understand me and my desires (ATJ was also good at that).

I had saved the link to Jetwing a while ago and then forgot about it. A reference in a guide book made me take another look and they are now back on my list because they seem to specialize in wildlife, and that would definitely be a major focus of my trip.

I'm still looking at the Red Dot site and although they have a lot of good information, they just don't feel as personal as I would like.

I can't tell you how excited I am! Hopefully Sri Lanka is a sure bet for me next year, haven't had much luck with my Asia trips lately.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Oops, wrong smiley! I meant...
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Well after making contact with six companies, I've decided to go with Red Dot. I've come back to this post to thank ozgirl for her suggestion. Red Dot has come up with the best itinearary that is customised to my interests (mainly wildlife)and their prices are competitive. Also they were able to help me make arrangements for my layover in Bangalore which I unwittingly planned around the weeklong AERO conference meaning just about every hotel in my category is already fully booked and I got nowhere trying to make reservations on my own.

Not sure why, but responses from all companies have been exceedingly slow and all have required prompting from me.

All I have to do now is hurry up and wait for February!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM

Great! I'm delighted to hear that you are set to go to Sri Lanka. Would you please share your itinerary?
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Just posted the outline on the Anthony Bourdain thread.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:27 AM

Hi Femi, thanks. Our driver was a lovely man named Wilfred who was extremely obliging (and patient with us!) and the trip went off without a hitch. Highlights for us were the elephant orphanage, Kandalama Hotel, Kandy, tea plantations and Galle (and the Galle Fort Hotel - sensational!) Have a great time!