Southern India and Sri Lanka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2013, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our next Asian vacation we are considering four weeks, spending 3 in southern India (after having explored the Rajasthan area and Varanasi on our first trip) and one week in Sri Lanka. We are in the initial stages of research but wonder if anyone who has traveled to either place can provide info on their favorite regions in southern India. Please note we are not interested in relaxation time on beaches. We enjoy ancient ruins, beautiful scenery, people watching, wandering, photography, and food.

I'm not certain if both locations are doable given our time frame. Suggestions please on must see locations. Thanks
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM

I really think a week is not enough in Sri Lanka. It sounds like you would love th cultural triangle area. I highly recommend the Kandalama in Dambulla as your residence to explore the area. You'll want probably four days in the Dambulla area (3 would be an absolute minimum) a day or two in candy, some time in tea country. That all sounds do-able except for the drive times. To extend to even 10 days would be helpful.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Kathie or anyone else - have you been to South Indian as well as Sri Lanka? If so, which did you find more interesting and which areas in southern India do you recommend?
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 04:22 PM

I've not yet been to southern India, so I can't help on that.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to both - you might find my TR (which also includes Nepal...) helpful - http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...an-sojourn.cfm

Unlike Kathie, I was not that impressed with the ruins in SL - just too ruinous, and the stupas were unadorned. The scenery was better, but I don't feel a need to go back for another look.

India is much more demanding a destination than SL, but I think more rewarding as well.
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 06:15 AM

sounds like fun.. we will go after your report fills us in on details

happy new year

B&K
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 07:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dgunbug,

I endorse what Kathie says - a week is nowhere long enough for Sri Lanka. Even if you are not that enamoured of the ancient sites, you really need 3 nights in the northern part of the cultural triangle to see Sigiriya and, say, Polunawara, or the Dambulla caves, at least a night in Kandy, and another three in the Tea Country. when you factor in the time you need to get to those places from Colombo, and the time you need to get between them, then 9 nights is really a minimum.

it's a wonderful place which will reward you for spending extra time there.

I've not been to India, so will defer to thursdaysd's view of its merits as against those of India, but as I suspect she will agree, it does not have many of the issues that India has either, though clearly there have been political problems in the recent past.
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 08:06 AM

As dogster said, SL is "India lite" - it is cleaner, quieter, and has many fewer people trying to sell you things. On the other hand, India has more of good things as well as bad.

I did put up a postscript to my most recent India trip about the dangers, and have serious doubts about another solo trip there.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thursday - I just read both your threads on India and Sri Lanka and now am considering more time in India instead. Loved your reports and dogster's comments which ar sorely missed.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 06:40 AM

dgunbug - glad they were useful - and hope you enjoy your trip!

Yes indeed, I still miss dogster.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

New question - with four weeks available, which locations in southern India would you explore? We do want to visit Mumbai, aurangabad for the caves, and Calcutta. We are less interested in beach time.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Well, it's not southern India, but if you're going to Kolkata, what about Orissa? It's not on the tourist circuit and the Konark Sun Temple is rather special.

My favorite locations in southern India would be (in no particuar order), Kochi, Mysore, Coorg, the Nilgiri hills, the Chettinad region, Badami, Madurai (the temple, NOT the town), Thanjavur (ditto), Panjim.
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Thursday. One if our favorite places on our last trip was Gwalior, which also isn't on the travel circuit. We are really in the early stages of exploration and don't even have dates yet. I will look into your suggestions.